Protein

Options
Is it bad to go over in protein? Last time I checked, protein was a good thing?

Replies

• rockylucas
    rockylucas Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Protein is a very good thing, and the recommendations on MFP are generally much lower than you will find on most other nutritional/medical websites. So long as you are still getting a generally good balance of fats and carbs as well, a diet higher in protein will ultimately make u feel more full and contribute to keeping your lean body mass
  • channa007
    channa007 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Source: October 2011 Men's Health Magazine
    Page 116 & 118

"How much protein can your body digest before the rest goes to waste?"

A) 10 grams
    B) 30 grams
    C) You're probably still digesting the ribe eye from this summer's cookout
    D) You can't eat too much.

Answer is D. Your body can absorb whatever dose of protein you ingest; larger amounts just take more time. Research shows that you retain an equal amount of lean muscle whether the day's food was consumed on a regular meal schedule or during a single 4-hour window.

Your takeaway: There's no need to parcel out your protein intake, although some protein at every meal is crucial to avoiding hunger. just hit your protein goals according to your schedule - your body will use what it needs when it needs to.
  • MrsH06
    MrsH06 Posts: 159
    Options
    My settings are set to 50% carbs 30% protein and 20% fat. I haven't really been losing pounds but I have lost 8.5 inches since June! Protein is awesome haha :tongue:
  • shabydonner
    shabydonner Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    That has annoyed me since I got on here. So many healthy foods promote that they are high in protein. I have no problem getting my protein in and most days go over on it. For the most part I have decided it isn't a problem as long as I stay under my fat and calories. A lot of people on here do the whole high protein low carb thing, I like to find a balance but I don't think subbing a little fat or carbs for some extra protein is that big a deal.
  • MARI1010
    MARI1010 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!!! I was wondering just the same. I was worrying if i went over on my protein. :smile:
  • cep22
    Options
    Protein is OK to go over. If going over by a lot then it all depends on your activity on how it will be absorbed. I would concentrate more on your calorie and carb intake. One thing to remember is excessive carbohydrates increase blood levels of insulin. This insulin is a storage hormone for your body which converts those carbohydrates into stored body fat. This is not something you want. The only way to control this insulin from being overly produced is through controlling your carbohydrates. Good Luck.

Source of reading: http://www.nahanniriverherbs.com/94,156