I'm so confused on where to start at this point and really need help

I'll start off by saying that I'm a 5'9" male whose about to turn 28 who weights ~191. Back in High School I had a strength and condition class and we would do weight lifting M,W,F and then Cardio Tu,Th. Generally speaking cardio was run on the treadmill or elliptical till we hit 500calories burned (in a 35min window). I realize back then my body had a higher metabolism and I could "do whatever I want" in a matter of sense without a second though. Now, well I think we all know how that goes.

My job is an office job, but with COVID I'm working from home now and will continue to do so indefinitely apparently. I have read up on multiple diet types, what my calories should be, what fitness programs I should do and what settings my Apple Watch should be at and at this point, I'm beyond confused and have no earthly idea what's right or wrong and what will work because I've been stuck in limbo weight for a very very long time now.

My goal is to be overall in better shape. I'm not looking for Bruce Lee or Arnold Schwarzenegger, but somewhere in-between. I'd like to be able to still go out and enjoy time with friends and that can mean a night or two a week to just have a seltzer or glass of wine at a restaurant or hang at the house by the fire. I want to be able to change how I look at food and working out and see them as positives vs chores and to keep the motivation to continue to do so without mental blocks or excuses.

Let me go into detail what I currently do:

tdeecalculator.net:
Maintenance = 2,192 calories
Cutting = 1,692 calories

Is this site even correct?

Apple Watch:
Move goal = 730 cal
Exercise goal = 30mins
Stand goal = 12 hours

and I ask myself, are these the right settings? Is it even accurate?

Fitness:
Brisk walk for 45mins straight every day = 267 active calories/353 calories
The rest is just making sure I walk around and take my dogs for their 20min walks

Does lifting weights or doing push ups really benefit if I'm burning my calories?

Food:
I'm beyond confused at this point. What should my macros be in myfitnesspal? I have the premium version as well. I'm not sure what "diet" I should use and have no idea what to do anymore. I'm more or less looking for a meal plan but one that isn't the same thing every....single....day let alone every monday is x, every tuesday is y etc.

I like pretty much everything except seafood.

I have access to an Anytime Fitness by me that I can signup for, but I also have access to at home stuff as well such as a weight vest/oculus quest 2/apple fitness +. I'm really just so confused with all of the information out there today that I feel like the landscape for it all changes daily. What to eat, when to eat, how much to have, what kind of workouts you should do. Do this not that etc and honestly its motivationally killing and I see myself for years now picking something up, then dropping it within a few weeks. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Replies

• musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,123 Member
    Did you put your stats in MFP for it to give you your calorie goal to lose say a pound a week? Also, diet doesn't really matter. Calories matter for weightloss. Eat what you want, within the calories it gives you and you should be fine. Macros also really don't matter, except for satiation. For me, more protein keeps me full and satisfies me. If I eat carb-heavy, I can eat and eat and eat, and not feel satisfied. I will also be hungry a few hours later. Just play around with the macros until you find something that works for you.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,884 Member
    You're right, there's a lot of info out there. I'm a big fan of keeping it simple and have two recommendations to aid that:

1. Use MFP to set your calories. How much weight to you want to lose?

9kjwnia17qv9.jpg

2. Use the MFP default macros to start. (50% from carbohydrates, 20% from protein and 30% from fat.) Some people do like to boost the protein a bit. Here's more on the default macros: http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/ask-the-dietitian-whats-the-best-carb-protein-and-fat-breakdown-for-weight-loss

You can start by eating what you currently eat, just a little less of it. Note what macro mixes fill you up more and lean into that. For example, I've learned I don't find fat especially filling, even though I love it, and do better when I make sure I hit my protein target and get carbs from foods that include fiber.
  • sfranklin725
    sfranklin725 Posts: 5 Member
    gorple76 wrote: »
    I can relate to your confusion. I felt similarly from reading lots, spending a lifetime trying to lose weight etc, I got to a point that I think I’d kind of given up and assumed it was all hopeless. None of the above advice and approaches sound at all wrong, but I wonder if the piece of the jigsaw that’s missing is you? I have managed to identify some very specific approaches to weight loss which work for me - my personality, my strengths and weaknesses, my likes and dislikes, and my lifestyle. It helped my to find a path through it all, and I fully expect there to be changes as I change. Perhaps spend some time thinking about what you can and can’t commit to - for the long term - and work back from there. For instance, I need to know that on a Friday I can have 2 glasses of wine. A small thing really, but I’ve had to account for that in my plan. I find not eating lunch on workdays easy to do, so I cut back on my calories easily through the week that way. Both these things might change but right now, it’s working for me.

this.... this is extremely helpful.
  • bubus05
    bubus05 Posts: 121 Member
    'I'm not looking for Bruce Lee or Arnold Schwarzenegger, but somewhere in-between'
    A humble goal. LOL, sorry that made me smile. If you achieve that you are gonna look like a Greek God.
    Based on your stats 5.9 191 you dont seem to be overweight, to look like these two icons you need muscles, lots of it. It is not that complicated, neither Bruce Lee nor Arnold had MFP or Apple watches, in this age we tend to overcomplicate what is really not. Since you dont need to lose weight if I were you my diet would focus on mainly proteins to build muscle.
    Doing 45 min walks is perfectly fine but in your case it aint gonna cut it, not even close. You need heavy weight lifting in a gym mixed with lots of cardio. As Arnold put it 'you need to shock your system'.
    In any case good luck:)
  • sfranklin725
    First off thank you everyone it means a lot. Second, I read all your responses and read the links some of you sent me to. I guess what helps me is having a detailed plan for what to eat, how much and following a workout guide. That’s always worked for me as I know I will over complicate things So having someone do the planning for me helps. It’s not being lazy I just don’t trust myself to plan things correctly.

Attached are my current photos. So you can see where I’m at and if somehow that helps with your responses. I’m going to sign up today for anytime fitness and get back at it.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    edited July 2021
    First off thank you everyone it means a lot. Second, I read all your responses and read the links some of you sent me to. I guess what helps me is having a detailed plan for what to eat, how much and following a workout guide. That’s always worked for me as I know I will over complicate things So having someone do the planning for me helps. It’s not being lazy I just don’t trust myself to plan things correctly.

Attached are my current photos. So you can see where I’m at and if somehow that helps with your responses. I’m going to sign up today for anytime fitness and get back at it.

Here's my question for you:

If having someone else come up with a detailed plan for you to follow actually works for you, why are you back here?

Or is there a point when follow someone else's plan stops working for you, because it's not a thing you can commit to for the rest of your life? Weight STAYING off can be the hard part. Effectively what you do to lose is what you're going to need to do to maintain. Might be worth going slow and learning what you need so you CAN trust you.

• sfranklin725
    That’s a good point in terms of slow is fast. I think in the past I tend to work with a program be it diet or workout and “expect” changes semi quickly and when I see the scale going the other way I give up. I start blaming water weight or not doing enough when in all reality it’s probably me over eating.

Finding things that fill me up and are good for me but don’t go over my calorie goal is one of the hardest things for me. As stated earlier I would assume I should set my calorie goal at around 1600. That’s a 500 deficient right there and then try and burn 500 additional working out. The question I need to answer is should I let the workout let me eat more or keep it at a 1000 calorie deficient now.

As to why I’m back here, it’s something I can always reference and look back at. Again I’m not asking for a handout, that’s not how you achieve results. I just want to make sure any plan I follow be it my own or a general guide is correct.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,953 Member
    edited July 2021
    That’s a good point in terms of slow is fast. I think in the past I tend to work with a program be it diet or workout and “expect” changes semi quickly and when I see the scale going the other way I give up. I start blaming water weight or not doing enough when in all reality it’s probably me over eating.

Finding things that fill me up and are good for me but don’t go over my calorie goal is one of the hardest things for me. As stated earlier I would assume I should set my calorie goal at around 1600. That’s a 500 deficient right there and then try and burn 500 additional working out. The question I need to answer is should I let the workout let me eat more or keep it at a 1000 calorie deficient now.

As to why I’m back here, it’s something I can always reference and look back at. Again I’m not asking for a handout, that’s not how you achieve results. I just want to make sure any plan I follow be it my own or a general guide is correct.

IMO, personalization is key to long term success. What's going to work is an approach that's tailored to our own individual preferences, strengths, limitations. That's speaking from the perspective of 5+ years of maintenance after 3 previous decades of overweight/obesity.

That implies that there are potentially *lots* of correct plans, theoretically; and maybe even several different alternatives that potentially could be "correct" for you, once you put your own stamp on them. There are people here who've lost weight successfully, and maintained the loss, in many different ways. IMO, your goal is to figure out *your* way.

That idea about "why are you back here" is implying that staying at a healthy weight long term is a really useful way to think about the process and the goal. Losing the weight, treating it as a project with an end date, after which you "go back to normal" - that's the recipe for regain, for most people. The question underlying being back is "what have you learned from previous weight management attempts that may give you better odds of a permanent change, this time?" IMO, weight management - for any of us inclined to overweight when inattentive - is a permanent change in orientation and habits, one way or another, not a temporary "diet".

If I were you (I'm not), I'd consider just starting with a 500 calorie deficit, through some combination of achievable/pleasant eating and relatively enjoyable exercise. See how that goes. That would be a pound a week loss (and you'll know whether that loss rate estimate is accurate after 4-6 weeks).

At 191, two pounds a week is pretty aggressive, represents increased health risk, a bit higher chance of crashing into the rocks. Maybe start with a less aggressive rate, experiment to figure out what's satiating and practical for you on the eating front, what fits into your life happily on the exercise front. Will something bad for sure happen if you try to lose faster than 1% of bodyweight per week? No, that's not guaranteed to happen. But the risks go up.

A few people lose aggressively fast, and maintain successfully. (Quite a few seem to fail out along the way, and some reach goal with long-term weirdness related to adaptive thermogenesis, cravings, etc.) IMO, the largest fraction of long-term successful people here *didn't* succeed by losing at maximum speed, but by taking a logistically easier, more gradual approach. That's just my impression, though - I can't prove it.

Wishing you long-term success!