Exercising 7 days a week?

Options
So for the past 2 months i've been exercising every single day! It has become a habit or maybe an obsession? Who knows....But lately I feel so weak...I think my body is starting to crash on me :( I know resting is important but if I do so I know I will feel guilty that I didnt exercise.
Has anyone gone through this?

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    you are prob overtraining depending on the length and intensity of your workouts. it may be a good idea to give your body a rest and take at least an entire week off, if not more
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    No, but I'm old-ish, so I never exercise 7 days a week. I always take 1-3 days off, sometimes 4 depending on the week. I don't feel guilty about it, but I don't have all those extra yummy calories to eat either... so I have to go without stuff when I don't exercise. That's why I run... for the food!!! LOL!
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    I am now... :(
  • atag2011
    atag2011 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I go through this all the time...sometimes months go by where I never take a day off! But it is super important to take ATLEAST one day off a week. You build muscle at rest! Just remember, taking a day off will make your next workout that much better! Never feel guilty to take rest, we all need it.
  • Awake_Alive
    Awake_Alive Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I understand this obsession. My trainer said to do what I need to do during the week, but to always take one day to let your body rest. He suggested a walk around the neighborhood, but to keep it light on your "day off". He said "if you don't give your body time to rest, it will crash on you. Then how long will you be forced to stop exercising just because you physically can't?" That was enough to make me listen. I took last Sunday off, and Monday I felt SO GREAT. Still do...and working harder than ever these last two days!
  • bluegirl10
    bluegirl10 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Yes, in the past I would workout 7 days a week and ended up burning out and stopped working out completely! Let me tell you it was super hard getting back on track!

I would say take at least one or two days off per week... Your body is telling you to slow down and give it some rest. If you really feel you need to do something, how about going out for a nice walk?!
  • dlovesjimma
    dlovesjimma Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    drop to 6 day's a week, alternate your rest day if that helps, but never work out more than 6 days in a row.
  • fighterfit1
    Options
    I completely relate! Once you get on a pattern it feels so great and you dont want to stop and you think if you do stop you will ruin everything you have done but really its the complete opposite. The one thing I learned the hard way is you have to rest , its counterproductive in so many ways if you don't. I work out with a lot of serious athletes and I don't know a single one that doesn't at least take one day off to let your body recover. It will pay off in the end! There is no reason to feel guilty for taking a day off , seriously you should thank yourself , your body certainly will and you will have more energy for the coming workouts making them more beneficial! Hope this helps. Congrats on being so motivated!
  • MissMollieK
    MissMollieK Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    So for the past 2 months i've been exercising every single day! It has become a habit or maybe an obsession? Who knows....But lately I feel so weak...I think my body is starting to crash on me :( I know resting is important but if I do so I know I will feel guilty that I didnt exercise.
    Has anyone gone through this?
    YES!!! I totally know what you are talking about- I must force myself to rest- if you don't you will burn out and end up crashing like you said. your body is telling you to take a break whether you like it or not. if you need to exercise-to not feel guilty- try doing something a bit less strenuous at first like an easy yoga exercise routine that also relaxes yourself- just a thought. also make sure you are not lacking on calories / protein- sounds like you may need this....it is a very mental issue- not saying you are crazy, just (like myself) a bit obsessed. I sometimes exercise 7days in a row- but try and break up how intense you make those days. Hope that helps! :)
  • ezekiel_nf
    Options
    I used to do it. I did it for a good 6 months. I did lose the weight but I'd get extremely pale and a couple of times I fainted.
    Honestly, you need to get it in your mind that your body can only do so much. You need to rest and let it regenerate.

I also noticed that heavy exercise like that for me caused me to hit a bad plateau. I was in it for about a month and then when I rested and ate MUCH more I started to lose weight again.
    Personally, from experience, I would recommend you to take a couple of days off and really eat healthy foods. A wide variety of nutrients so your body can recover from the extensive and intensive exercise you have had your body endure.

Just rest up, you might feel guilty but just remember that your body will have terrible problems later if you keep it up :(. I ended up spraining my ankle, had and still do have back problems, hip problems.

I won't tell you that all these came from extensive exercise but I'm pretty sure it did. I'm not saying it might or will happen to you but I know that it happened to me.

Just be careful and let your body rest up, if you don't let it rest you might be doing much more bad than good.

Good luck!
  • marisel125
    Options
    This morning while I was working out I was struggling just to move my arms ... My legs were shaking , I felt nauseous ... I was a hot mess lol haha... I said to myself ok I need to rest ... Tmw I will... And here I am checking out the classes for tmw! Oh my... I need to get rid of this phone haha
  • marisel125
    Options
    Thank u so much guys for your replies! It really helps :)
  • kennysrush
    Options
    I exercise 7 days/week - but mix it up. Swimming 3 mornings, gym & weights 2 mornings, racquetball 1 morning and 1 evening, and biking 1 morning. It's been working for me, but as I get closer to my goal, I'm thinking about taking that one day of rest advice.
  • tbisca1
    tbisca1 Posts: 142
    Options
    I was doing the same thing and just experienced my crash. I gotta really sick and had no energy. I just started back after 3 days rest. I feel much better now and stronger.
  • alapoint89
    Options
    i do it every day and nothing is wrong
  • pinbotchick
    Options
    I exercise 7 days a week but some days are light exercise - Leslie Sansone DVD or dog pace (20 min mile) walk. My other days are more intense exercise. It works for me and I haven't gotten burned out. I generally run 3x/wk and bike 3x/wk plus another 30 min of low impact aerobics in the evening. 2x/wk light weight training in with low impact aerobics. The 7th day of the week is some type of cardio such as Zumba, step aerobics, etc. I hope you find what works best for you...
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    You don't HAVE to take a day off, but you have to be aware that the body needs recovery. The recovery can be active however--it doesn't have to be complete rest.

If you work out 7 days a week, it is pretty certain that you will occasionally get into a state of overtraining. At that point you need to stop, sometimes for 2-3 full days and then take a couple of days ramping back up again. It can be managed, but you have to use your head.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    You don't HAVE to take a day off, but you have to be aware that the body needs recovery. The recovery can be active however--it doesn't have to be complete rest.

If you work out 7 days a week, it is pretty certain that you will occasionally get into a state of overtraining. At that point you need to stop, sometimes for 2-3 full days and then take a couple of days ramping back up again. It can be managed, but you have to use your head.

Nice, couldn't have said it any better. You can manage a 7-day split pretty easily but you have manage your days right. For instance, not everyday should be high-intensity.

On days where you do weight training keep the cardio low-intensity and on no weight training days try more intensity. Also find a day or two that are completely low-intensity. Doesn't always have to be balls-to-the-walls and sometimes less is more. :)
  • mikoperez
    Options
    My husband is an endurance athlete and even his crazy workout schedule has built in rest weeks. Part of honoring our body is not only about being active but it is also about letting it rest.
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    i guess you have to make a choice, take a break and feel guilty (i can't imagine why if you take the weekend off you should feel guilty, but anyway). or burn out.

It's worth having a rest, letting your body recover.

perhaps when you have a couple of days off, go and have a massage and a spa or something, then you are doing something that is good for your back, legs, arms, shoulders, great for recovering and recouping... so you are still doing something good for you. or do a beginners yoga class and some mediation, it's all good for you without having to be so physically draining.