Periods

Hey girls and guys if you have joined

Now I know before your period you put weight on…I’ve tried no to step on the scales to be honest..

But how many days before do you put weight on or is it the week leading up to it that I shouldn’t weigh myself?

Thank you xx

Replies

• debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    I am not sure abut the not weighing thing-- but I do feel that you should know that our bodies do have normal fluctuations. so why not just weigh each day esp. before your periods and take note of the weight fluctuations then you can know what to expect. as you know each body is different
  • Lildarlinz
    Lildarlinz Posts: 276 Member
    Lietchi wrote: »
    How about just weighing yourself daily and finding out? It's very individual. And for me it isn't even the same every time: sometimes it's one or two days before my period, sometimes it's during my period...
    Some women even have a weight increase around ovulation as well.
    Thank you lietchi :)
    I have been weighing myself daily…it’s goes up and down…but usually I put on a couple of lb and then once my period gets to day 4, it goes away…so I don’t know what to take as my true weight

For example
    Now I’ve weighed 10 stone 0
    This morning I weighed 10 stone 1
    But technically by day 4, I would weigh 9 stone 12lb

I’ll weigh myself on Monday…that’s my weigh in day lol x
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Gather data on yourself for long enough and you'll figure out a "normal range" that you generally fluctuate around within. Everyone's weight fluctuates during the day, that's part of being alive and eating/moving, but how much varies person-to-person depending on a thousand little factors (same reason the "if every day were like today" message you get when you close the diary are BS). I don't like daily weigh-ins - my mornings are sometimes hectic and I don't have a place to keep a scale out where it's usable at all times, and moving the scale around lot is bad for it. But if you're worried about these little fluctuations, daily weighing might help you see the overall trend and figure out your range.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    Lildarlinz wrote: »
    How about just weighing yourself daily and finding out? It's very individual. And for me it isn't even the same every time: sometimes it's one or two days before my period, sometimes it's during my period...
    I have been weighing myself daily…it’s goes up and down…but usually I put on a couple of lb and then once my period gets to day 4, it goes away…so I don’t know what to take as my true weight

For example

It may not work for you, but I figure I don't have a "true weight"

What I have is a short term range, and a long term trend.

Over the course of a day or few, up to a couple of weeks (could be a month, if premenopausal, which I'm not), I have a weight range that's up and down a few pounds.

Over the course of multiple weeks to months, that range can move upward or downward. That's the long-term trend, and whether it moves, and in which direction, tells me what's happening to my bodyweight.

Example:

Over the course of this month (July 2021), my daily AM weight has been as low as 123.4 pounds (8 stone 11.4), and as high as 128 pounds (9 stone 2). Those weren't start and end weights for the month, just the extremes, which happened on 7/6 and 7/9 respectively. (Today was 126.4, FWIW.) That's my current range for the month, 123.4 to 128. (If I'd weighed at other times of day, the range would be wider.)

Last July (2020), my then-current weight range was 128.6 to 131. That means my weight trend since last year is weight loss of 3-5 pounds.

Do you use a weight trend app? (Free examples are Happy Scale for Apple iOS, Libra for Android, Trendweight which requires a free Fitbit account (but you don't need a device), Weightgrapher, among others.) The do some statistical things that amount to averaging one's weight over a period of time to iron out some of the random fluctuations.

Some people use the trend weight from one of those as their "current weight". It's important to understand, though, that they're just doing statistics, they're not a magical crystal ball. They may help figure out whether weight loss is happening, but they can mislead in some circumstances, too: They're an aid, not a solution.

Scale weight is just a snapshot of one moment in time, of something that's constantly moving up and down. If you were lying in bed last night, sitting while you ate breakfast, standing up for a bit at work . . . what is your "true position"? Weight, maybe even more so than body position, is a constantly changing thing.
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    I actually gain more weight during ovulation than my period. You can do basically data collection. Track your weigh every day for a few months and find your "trend" with weight.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    Fflpnari wrote: »
    I actually gain more weight during ovulation than my period. You can do basically data collection. Track your weigh every day for a few months and find your "trend" with weight.

My too. I learned this by logging daily.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    Lildarlinz wrote: »

For example

My lowest weight of the month is a few days into my period, so that is what I call my true weight. But I could just as easily use the highest point of my cycle, which is when I ovulate.

Also, rather than comparing yourself to last WEEK, it may help you mentally to compare yourself to the same point in your cycle from last MONTH.
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    You might also find it helpful to use other measures as well to track your progress.

If I've lost an inch it doesn't just re-appear the following day, so it might help you keep the fluctuations in perspective.