Please help!

Options
Recently (almost 2 weeks now) I started lifting weights 5x a week anywhere from 20-30 minutes a day then I hit the speed bag after for another 30 minutes, is that enough time for a workout? It’s under an hour a day so I’m worried I may not be doing enough. It’s been about 6 weeks since I’ve lost any weight, if anything it shows I’ve gained 4 lbs even tho I count every calorie I put into my mouth and I keep it under 1700 even tho my recommended on TDEE is 2000 to keep me in a deficit. I have noticed a visual difference from my clothes but I get discouraged that it shows I’m gaining instead of losing. nxoagajqdv6p.jpeg

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Water retention from a new exercise routine is extremely common - that water weight masks any fat loss for a period of time but doesn't change the fact that if you are in a deficit you are still losing fat.

There's nothing magical about hour long training sessions, longer or shorter time periods can both be effective, think total time/volume over the course of a week perhaps and you will see you are doing a decent amount of exercise.

My tip would be that every time you change your routine (calorie balance or exercise) give at least 4 weeks for those changes to settle out and the true trend to start revealing itself. A long perspective helps enormously to de-stress fluctuations and stalls.
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Wow! That's a heck of a visual result in a month. Please don't get fixated on the scale weight. Fluctuations are normal and can come from all sorts of things.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    SnifterPug wrote: »
    Wow! That's a heck of a visual result in a month. Please don't get fixated on the scale weight. Fluctuations are normal and can come from all sorts of things.

I agree ^

You're doing great! Keep up the good work.
  • dacpack57
    dacpack57 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You are building muscle, and it weighs more. That may account for the weight increase, but you look great! Keep it up!
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    dacpack57 wrote: »
    You are building muscle, and it weighs more. That may account for the weight increase, but you look great! Keep it up!

Not in only a few weeks though 😉
    Strength training can cause water retention in the muscles, masking fat loss on the scale, as sijomial said.
  • Onedaywriter
    Onedaywriter Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Forget the scale for now! Look at the photos!! Great job! Amazing after only a month! Keep doing what you’re doing!!