Injury - Keep the deficit or maintain

Options
2»

Replies

• nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    I believe grade 2 sprains don’t require surgery although if it bothers you after 2 weeks you should see an Orthopedist and ask them.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,330 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    I had a bad sprain last July, and for some reason the local hospital and NHS physios were against the support boot (I’m in the uk). Yet a friend 60 miles away sprained her ankle just before me and got a boot - she was back up and walking quickly. (Apparently there are now two main schools of thought re rehab). I was on crutches for 10 weeks and it still sometimes swells / gets stiff and hurts a year on. I would just say that really good rehab exercises as soon as comfortable is really important to getting mobility back, and to prevent re-injury. Apparently once your ankle feels fine, it will be weaker for several more months and that’s when most re-sprains happen.

Edited to add: I’m assuming mine was grade two as it has healed and grade three I think needs surgery. My entire foot and lower half of my calf bruised for 2months and resembled an elephant’s foot 🤣
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Yeah, my doctor seems to be working on 'prevent rolling it for a while but do what you can tolerate' as a school of thought and that works for me. It's still inclined to swell up if I do anything too crazy (like yank my shoes off without unlacing them and make the whole thing go clunk), but it's getting better steadily and I'm getting on with my (low impact) life. I'll wean off brace usage fairly slowly. It'll probably be around for some of my sharper motions and more even terrain activities for a long while but. So far so good.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    Oh bummer. I have also stopped exercising due to pain - still working on identifying the exact source. I am staying in a deficit but when I start to get frustrated I have no problem eating at maintenance for a bit because injuries can do a number on mental health too.