Collegian

amioc
amioc Posts: 175 Member
Could anyone please recommend a good collegian supplement please? Also which brands to stay away from? I would really appreciate some help 🙂

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    What benefits are you looking to get from supplementing collagen?
    (There's a lot of unsubstantiated hype about it....)
  • cnsenior77
    cnsenior77 Posts: 9 Member
    I use webber naturals, collagen30. There's different formulations. I use the one for joints. A nice side effect has been speedier nail and hair growth. Not super speedy but enough that I need to clip more often.

I don't find it does anything for the joint pain but I have noticed that it's easier to get moving in the morning. And it takes longer for the joint pain to build during the day - I get more done.

It used to be a good 30 minutes before I could stand upright, now it's closer to 10 mins.

I've been using it for 3 months.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    I started taking collagen + C tablets over 2 years ago. I'm 66 with AO and pain moving in the morning. I took it as an experiment because my nails were breaking off. After 2 years of 1 tablet a day my nails are much better and my hair is thicker--so much so that my hairdresser commented on it. As for my joints, hard to say. They seem to be holding steady and not getting worse, but I take other supplements for them, so it's a combination.

I don't expect miracles at my age, but if I can manage and keep exercising and swimming, I'm good to go. Sometimes keeping the status quo is important.
  • amioc
    Bump
  • panda4153
    panda4153 Posts: 417 Member
    I use it for the added protein, I like Vital Proteins collagen peptides. It’s has no flavor so it’s easy to add to things and get extra protein. I use it in fruit smoothies and add it to oatmeal regularly. You can also mix it in yogurt easily.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,884 Member
    I'm not sure I believe all the hype about it, but if you have a slow cooker or a sturdy soup pot, you can make your own stock from discarded meat bones and that stuff is full of collagen. I like the slow cooker because I can make it overnight with minimal effort. It only costs a few cents per batch. I can't imagine paying for collagen supplements or bone broth at the store.

In addition to green beans as @MikePfirrman mentioned, other good food sources so your body can make its own collagen: leeks, strawberries, cucumber, garbanzo beans/chickpeas, mango, celery, rhubarb, and asparagus.

I make my own stock in a crock pot simply because it is far superior to anything available in the supermarket. I save bones in the freezer until I need to make a batch.

Occasionally I will buy raw beef bones for this purpose and it is even more amazing. If I could find them cheaper I'd do this more often, but I'm fairly satisfied with chicken stock so haven't bothered to seek out a butcher.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Bumping this to ask more questions. I was searching for collagen and biotin supplements and am now so confused. I read how it should include pollock instead of bovine collagen? So I go on amazon and they've got too many brands, too many choices. How do I know what's credible vs. what'll be a waste of my money? And how long can one expect to take supplements before they have any noticeable affect?
    I'm sure my diet is lacking because it's not varied enough; I do eats a lot of veggies and plain yogurt, some fruits and small amounts of proteins throughout my day(beans, chicken, peanut butter).
    I also take Vitamin B12 and D3 tablets every day.
    I know I also need to schedule an appointment with my primary care because it's been awhile but that won't happen until maybe )October.

So if any of you wouldn't mind elaborating again about the pros and what to look for in collagen/biotin supplements, I'd appreciate it. :)
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Bumping this to ask more questions. I was searching for collagen and biotin supplements and am now so confused. I read how it should include pollock instead of bovine collagen? So I go on amazon and they've got too many brands, too many choices. How do I know what's credible vs. what'll be a waste of my money? And how long can one expect to take supplements before they have any noticeable affect?
    I'm sure my diet is lacking because it's not varied enough; I do eats a lot of veggies and plain yogurt, some fruits and small amounts of proteins throughout my day(beans, chicken, peanut butter).
    I know I also need to schedule an appointment with my primary care because it's been awhile but that won't happen until maybe )October.

So if any of you wouldn't mind elaborating again about the pros and what to look for in collagen/biotin supplements, I'd appreciate it. :)

I can't say for certain, but keep in mind that certain recommendations might be made for reasons other than nutrition (or TBH profit for whoever's trying to market you the stuff.) My thought about pollock vs. bovine, just a guess, is that it's an ethical recommendation rather than a nutritional one. Whether it's based on environmental or animal welfare concerns, or some combination, I don't know.

I honestly think it's probably not necessary for you to worry about it at all. It's only two months until October. You don't know for certain if you have a deficiency at all or to what extent. Why not try to eat a more varied diet to obtain some of these naturally? I make a lot of dishes that use stock - it's not just soups and stews or heavy dishes. You can cook rice or other grains in it - basically any recipe that uses water, where a savory or meaty flavor would go well, can use stock instead.

Any meat you eat you can cook with the bones in and only remove the bones after cooking (usually it's easier to remove bones after anyway rather than before, even with good knives or kitchen scissors).

If you're eating the foods I listed above on a somewhat regular basis (green beans, leeks, strawberries, cucumber, garbanzo beans/chickpeas, mango, celery, rhubarb, and asparagus), then you're likely doing just fine.
  • wmweeza
    wmweeza Posts: 319 Member
    panda4153 wrote: »
    I use it for the added protein, I like Vital Proteins collagen peptides. It’s has no flavor so it’s easy to add to things and get extra protein. I use it in fruit smoothies and add it to oatmeal regularly. You can also mix it in yogurt easily.
    I use the same thing. My nails have been really brittle my entire life, since taking this my nails are much stronger.Collagen combined with stretching and exercise has helped my arthritis and SI joint issues. Is it a huge difference? No. I'll take any little bit of help though

• amioc

This is what I’m hoping to get out of starting this thread. It’s so hard to choose. I read something a while ago saying the best ones are marine collegian with🤷‍♀️. Everything is so confusing!
  • amioc
    The main thing I’m hoping to get out of taking collegian is help with my skin.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member

I can't say for certain, but keep in mind that certain recommendations might be made for reasons other than nutrition (or TBH profit for whoever's trying to market you the stuff.) My thought about pollock vs. bovine, just a guess, is that it's an ethical recommendation rather than a nutritional one. Whether it's based on environmental or animal welfare concerns, or some combination, I don't know.

I honestly think it's probably not necessary for you to worry about it at all. It's only two months until October. You don't know for certain if you have a deficiency at all or to what extent. Why not try to eat a more varied diet to obtain some of these naturally? I make a lot of dishes that use stock - it's not just soups and stews or heavy dishes. You can cook rice or other grains in it - basically any recipe that uses water, where a savory or meaty flavor would go well, can use stock instead.

Any meat you eat you can cook with the bones in and only remove the bones after cooking (usually it's easier to remove bones after anyway rather than before, even with good knives or kitchen scissors).

If you're eating the foods I listed above on a somewhat regular basis (green beans, leeks, strawberries, cucumber, garbanzo beans/chickpeas, mango, celery, rhubarb, and asparagus), then you're likely doing just fine.

Thanks for the information. :) My hair and nails are horrible and figure adding a collagen supplement couldn't hurt. But you're right, waiting to talk with my primary care would be best. Not sure how complete blood tests would be handled by insurance companies(or paid for) so I'll definitely ask her. It's been about 2 years since I've been to see a dr. for anything. :(