in need of some re-motivation

Options
Hey guys,

So I started MFP so excited and positive and feeling so great, which made staying within my calories really easy. Now after a few weeks of no losses (and a gain of about 1-1.5 lbs) I'm starting to wonder why am i doing this, i was fine maintaining before and it really is starting to feel like a chore and restrictive. Like i'm being forced to do something, and that historically does not work out well with my personality...I do NOT like to feel like i HAVE to do something. Before it felt like a great new endeavor I was starting out on and I couldn't wait to follow the program and see results. Now I feel like I would be happier going back to my maintenance as before, since I'm already not technically overweight, just self-conscious and unhappy at times with how I look.

Help pleaseeee

Replies

• evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    you don't say if you are working out or not, but perhaps that is what you need more than the counting calories thing. Weights are a great way to tone and firm, so that you look better. Even walking can help in that regard. You can pick up a small set of dumbbells fairly cheap, or maybe try a class that interests you..... Good luck!
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    A lot of people in my family are in the same boat you are...me, I have like 200lbs until I reach "not overweight". But from their experiences, you will often reach your own body's "perfect weight." Your body may be happy where it is and does not need to lose any more. You can still try, but don't overdo it. I would LOVE to be where you are in weight. Plateaus are a natural part of this process, just like occasional gains. You'll succeed...for now, work on loving who you are now, then you will be crazy about who you become.
  • ConnieMaxwell
    Options
    Have you tried yoga? I found it really slimmed me all over, took away those bumps in places I did not want them and helped with the stress of keeping on track. I also found the more muscle I built in yoga, the better I felt and the occasional slips away from the meal plan were more easily forgiven with the extra muscle. What ever you do, try something else since what your doing is UN-motivating you. Good Luck
  • laurad8911
    Options
    i do work out, 6 days a week, running, circuit classes, spinning classes, weights, bike riding for transportation on top of that. ive pretty much always exercised, thats not really the issue.

and to mamamc03 you are right i need to focus more on being happy about where i am already and more or less naturally because a) i am lucky to be there and b) when i do that i feel less pressure and when if eel less pressure my relationship with food becomes more healthy...i tend to go through phases but weight and food has always been an issue for me (more psycholocgically than physically since ive never been severely overweight).

my mom has said to me that maybe im supposed to weigh what i do and thats that but i insist i would be better with 10 less lbs and i know it sounds petty and i dont mean to belittle anyone else's struggle but body image has been a serious issue for me as long as i can remember so it really is important to me.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    Think of the alternative to sticking to it, which, in my mind, is becoming a skin suit for the Silence of the Lambs guy.
  • lordsangel
    Options
    I had the same problem when I first started out on here. I have never been overweight reall, just wanted to tone up. I only needed to lose about 5 lbs. Me and my sister started out on here and she started dropping weight like it was going out of style but I didn't lose at all. So I stopped all together and ate whatever I wanted and the more she lost the more it motivated me to do the same. But I have now lost 12 lbs. and have to just tone up now but I'm sooo gla that I sstarted up again. I used to watch shows with these beautiful girls with these awesome legs and abs and tht would move me to get my butt up and work for myself. I am sooo close to my goal now and I am very happy with this website. Just keep at it and you will see results. You can do it!!!!! =)
  • bjshooter
    bjshooter Posts: 1,174 Member
    Options
    Everyone gets stuck from time to time, you are just unlucky it happened at the begining. I promise it will start to move. I am stuck atm and its driving me insane. Been here before twice though and you always come out the other side with some nice losses that will make it worth it :)
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Look at it this way...

If you want to lose weight, you have to do this. Accept it and move on.
  • laurad8911
    Options
    Look at it this way...

can't honestly say that was motivating but thanks anyway
  • Qarol
    Options
    Look at it this way...

Would you rather someone tell you...No, you don't HAVE to do this. The weight will just magically drop off without any effort on your part.

Sorry. I don't blow sunshine up anyone's *kitten*. I'm not touchy-feely. It's just reality.
  • laurad8911
    Options
    Look at it this way...

Would you rather someone tell you...No, you don't HAVE to do this. The weight will just magically drop off without any effort on your part.

Sorry. I don't blow sunshine up anyone's *kitten*. I'm not touchy-feely. It's just reality.

Of course I would not prefer that and the suggestion that anyone here would even say that or that i would even believe that is an insult to our collective intelligence that really shouldnt even be coming up. Clearly I already know what you said or else I would not be here/would not be asking for support to stick with it.

Knowledge of the reality does not make one immune to being down about things sometimes or needing some friendly words of motivation to help change their attitude around.

I know ultimately it is my responsibilty to do that for myself, which is why it is completely optional for you to read or reply to any or all posts. No one is forcing you to, and I'm pretty sure you knew a) that's not what I was needing to hear and b) I already know that being a member of MFP so you might as well keep it to yourself. Thanks.
  • Qarol
    Options
    and b) I already know that being a member of MFP so you might as well keep it to yourself. Thanks.
    I keep nothing to myself. Too bad.
  • laurad8911
    Options
    Have you tried yoga? I found it really slimmed me all over, took away those bumps in places I did not want them and helped with the stress of keeping on track. I also found the more muscle I built in yoga, the better I felt and the occasional slips away from the meal plan were more easily forgiven with the extra muscle. What ever you do, try something else since what your doing is UN-motivating you. Good Luck

how often do you do yoga? i want to see how much i can fit it in with my schedule each week
  • ConnieMaxwell
    Options
    I try to do it everyday, for just about 15 minutes, in the morning. If I am not doing anything else for exercise I do a 1 hour class. I learned at the gym by taking the beginners' class and got hooked the more I did the more I liked it. At one time I was doing 4 hours a week in classes and 30minutes a day at home but I fell out of that routine when I took a job that demanded too much time. Your schedule and exercise seems extreme. tell me, again please, exactly what you are having trouble with. It doesn't seem possible from what I have read in your posts that you need more exercise, I thought maybe just a different type of exercise. Muscles get complacent when they do the same thing over and over again, sometimes the exercise that worked before won't work now. Yoga can be intense or mild, depending on the poses. I'd like to hear more about your workouts.