Has anyone lost weight with Hypothyroid disease?

Options
Hi I have recently been given a diagnosis of hypothyroid disease and am still determined to loose weight. I am currently on the one to one diet (was Cambridge Diet) and have managed to loose 1Stone. Please is there anyone with positive weight loss testimonials?! Looking for encouragement :smile:

Replies

• Phillipians4vs13
    Phillipians4vs13 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much I just needed to hear something positive! I will look at the long time members comments. I just don't want hypothyroidism to be my excuse for not losing weight and eating healthy πŸ˜‰
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    I lost 50+ pounds, obese to a healthy weight, back in 2015-16, at age 59-60. I'm still at a healthy weight now, age 65.

I'm severely hypothyroid, and have been for 20+ years, properly medicated.

I lost weight pretty much like anyone else does, which doesn't mean it was easy every single second, but the process was simple, and it was easier than I'd ever expected. I could kick myself for not doing it much earlier.

I always recommend that hypothyroid MFP-ers read this:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10767046/hypothyroidism-and-weight-management

It was written by an MFP-er, himself hypothyroid, who lost weight by calorie counting, and who is a scientist in the hypothyroidism field. It's full of sound science about hypothyroidism and weight loss, and though I think he's no longer active on MFP, he did answer lots of questions on that thread when still active. Good info!
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,296 Member
    Options
    Yep. Hypothyroid here. Most of my adult life.
    There have been many times that the doctor has chosen to ignore me and allowed my thyroid to get too far out of whack, which did cause issues with weight gain. But I got tough with them and insisted on seeing an endocrinologist, which helped immensely.

I’m on a great journey at the moment. Almost 40 lbs lost since March.

Oh. And for the past eight years I have been getting more and more disabled (not thyroid related) and now can barely walk…. So throw that in the mix too.

It can be done. Definitely.

Send me a friend request if you like. πŸ’
  • RyanWhit3rd
    RyanWhit3rd Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I have I take levothyroxine, so maybe my metabolism is a little show, but I eat healthy and take a multi B.
  • newdoda
    newdoda Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hey there hypothyroid friends! Let me start off by saying that thyroid disease sucks BUT I believe at least for myself fixable. I am 59+ and lost my thyroid to cancer in 2016...which was only a few years after I experienced surgical menopause. I have lost only to gain right back despite doing the exact same thing which was exercising my brains out and eating 1200-1700 calories. And then I found Martin's Clinic and started listening to his podcasts; as a result I no longer eat sugar or carbs. I lost 6 lbs in 1 month but more than that my sleep, inflammation, brain fog and chronic fatigue are gone. I have way more energy to workout with a new program lifting, stretching and working on mobility and stability. Last year it took me 4 months to lose 5 lbs. Sugar was killing me slowly, was it easy? No, but neither was getting out of bed with all the pain and inflammation. This is in NO WAY a infomercial for Martin's Clinic just how learning from him and applying that knowledge has helped me. I am no longer a slave to thyroid disease. Feel free to message me, blessings
  • MaeesaAHHH
    MaeesaAHHH Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Yes, i have and i have lost weith with hypo too but it's harder as the weight doesn't want to come off as easily. And the low energy levels make it hard to stick to exercise goals. Goodluck and feel free to add me
  • g2renew
    g2renew Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    YeS. Hypothyroid and MG. Almost 21lbs lost since Feb this year and almost 30 total loss. About 25 to go. Accurate tracking and less processed/sugared foods has been key for me. You can do it, too!
  • Phillipians4vs13
    Phillipians4vs13 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you to everyone you have all really encouraged me. I've started spinning classes and lost one stone in two months. I'm also on the Cambridge diet. I've bought a fit watch too to check heart rate and calories. Just wish it would fall off quicker πŸ™.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    Thank you to everyone you have all really encouraged me. I've started spinning classes and lost one stone in two months. I'm also on the Cambridge diet. I've bought a fit watch too to check heart rate and calories. Just wish it would fall off quicker πŸ™.

One stone in two months is actually pretty fast weight loss, like around a pound and three-quarters per week, on average. That would be fairly aggressive loss for anyone under around 200 pounds, unless under close medical supervision, and a good loss rate even above that bodyweight.

It's great that you're having good results, but please do be careful to stay healthy!
  • catstan8502
    catstan8502 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I have Hashimoto's & was diagnosed in 2013 - my levels are currently where they should be. I've lost about 60 lbs. since November of last year and did so with a pretty basic calorie deficit and moderate exercise.
  • Snoopy913
    Snoopy913 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimoto's. I've been able to lose weight with the autoimmune protocol diet (AIP) and Armour Synthroid. I used to follow other diets and take Levothyroxine but I never succeeded. The AIP diet is good for Hashimoto's.