Meat Weight

Options
When you are weighing your meat do you weigh before or after its cooked?

Replies

• g2renew
    g2renew Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    After.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    After unless it all goes in a dish like beef stew.
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    It depends.

If I add raw meat to a dish where I will consume all of it once cooked (rather than doing something like discarding fat and bones later), then I use the raw weight in the recipe builder. If I am eating and weighing it cooked by itself, I use the cooked weight and use a consistent entry in the database. It might vary sometimes a little, but it's sufficient for my purposes. It's not practical for me to weigh a raw portion and then cook it individually since I am typically cooking for my family, not just me. But I could see that being a pretty accurate method if cooking for just one or two.
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    Depends on how I log it. The USDA has listings for raw and cooked, and various ways of cooking it. It can be hard to find the listings for the USDA entries in the MFP database because the wording is weird, and the MFP database is so overloaded with incorrect entries.

If you want to be sure, you can lookup the entry on the USDA database at
    https://fdc.nal.usda.gov/index.html

Then copy/ paste the name of the entry you want into the MFP search. It takes a slight bit longer, but once it’s in your history, you’re fine.

I use the “SR Legacy” results on the USDA site. And they have meats, seafood, fruits, veggies, grains, etc.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,140 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    I weigh raw and log raw, except for roast chicken which I weigh and log cooked.
    Both are possible if you use the right type of entry, but I prefer raw for accuracy.
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Weigh raw for the recipe, cooked for serving size.

By which I mean, suppose I'm cooking up some steaks for fajitas. I'll record the raw weight of the beef I use and put that in the recipe, but weigh the cooked dish afterward to figure out how big a serving is - if I want this recipe to yield six servings, I'll divide that weight by six to get my serving size in grams.

edit: changed food type for better example
  • I2k4
    I2k4 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Never weighed it, or ever thought to. Calculate calories and macros from the serving proportion of the wrapped uncooked package I bought, regardless whether that's divided before or after cooking. It's a kitchen not a lab, and it's going to be tolerably rough.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    If using the information on the package, it's raw weight (without bones) except bacon typically is cooked weight.

If using the good entries (from the USDA), they specify raw or cooked and cooking method. So long as you choose one that is consistent with how it was when you weighed it, doesn't matter.