Depression Relief

Options
2»

Replies

• ayurdas3112
    ayurdas3112 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Psychologists use expressive arts therapy in many settings to help people explore difficult issues in their lives.

Art, music, and dance are forms of creative expression that can help you process and cope with emotional issues, including depression. Expressive therapy goes beyond traditional talk therapy. It focuses on creative outlets as a means of expression. This therapy can be especially helpful for people who find it difficult to talk about their thoughts and emotions.

Expressive therapy can include various forms of artistic expression. This can include:

art

music

dance

drama

writing and storytelling

In expressive therapy, the therapist encourages you to use these arts to communicate about emotions and life events. These are often subjects that you may find difficult to put into words.
    learn more:https://healthline.com/health/depression/expressive-therapy#Overview1
  • jbanta07
    jbanta07 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I cut out caffeine and as much added sugars as I could. It has helped quiet the unwelcome noises in my head. When I start to think that this hasn't had much of an impact on my life, I'll drink a soda or have a coffee, and suddenly I'm back to obsessive or obnoxiously repetitive thinking. You know when you get a song stuck in your head? It's like that, but I rerun conversations or events over and over again. Caffeine is a drug with a lot of perks, but in the end, doesn't play nice with my brain. It just took a few miserable weeks of withdrawal before I no longer felt dependent on it.

Also, getting outside every day, early in the morning, has really helped me. Even when I really, really don't want to do it, I just put my feet into my sneakers and go for a walk anyway. I just force myself, even when there is no motivation. I always feel better when I get back compared to when I left and that feeling usually carries through the rest of the day.

That all said, I'll be looking into therapy regardless. Despite all the improvements, I still sometimes feel hopeless and I am tired of it dragging me down and holding me back.
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    1st thing --- I'd seek opportunities to speak with a professional. While I understand the reluctance to want to take prescription medication -- sometimes that is what your brain needs. But speaking with a therapist, psychiatrist, or psychologist would be a good start --- start with making an appt with your regular doctor (maybe take advantage of the opportunity to do a virtual visit for that if it's hard for you to get up and get out).

2nd thing - since you're here on MFP...get moving. Even if it's just a short walk. Get some sun on your skin and some steps in -- those things, when done consistently will make you feel better. Physical activity and vitamin D have good data to support that they are effective against symptoms of depression/anxiety.

I personally feel much better when I'm running consistently than when I'm not, both physically and mentally.

I hope you know that you are not alone in the way you are feeling...many people have gone through times like that and come out on the other side. It's hard, but you gotta stick with it and keep going.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    Don’t confuse moderate, temporary low moods with clinical depression.

If you have been struggling for months, please get professional help.