Vibration Plates

Options
I’ve been reading up on the vibration plates (lifepro, fit pulse and others). I’m the past my only experience was using these in therapy following surgeries. I haven’t found many stories from people who have gotten weight loss from using these.

My question is simple. Are these legit or is it just the new version of the belt massager?

Replies

• OnceAndFutureAthlete
    OnceAndFutureAthlete Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Ha! The belt massager - my mother had one of those in the 70s and would use it every day. I feel badly now that she was duped into thinking it was good for weight loss. But we had fun with it as kids, especially how it made your voice sound. :)

As for the vibration plates, I think the benefit is more the exercises you do while on them (increasing muscle mass) and the muscles that are engaged doing them with the vibration. I haven't seen any real data that just standing on them makes you lose weight (although the TV ads sure seem to imply this. :( ).

I've been doing light therapy in a booth that has the option of adding vibration, and I add it - more for the curiosity than anything. Since the space is small, there aren't a lot of exercises I can do without hitting the "walls", but I do balance work (stand on my toes, 1 foot, etc.), long abdominal contractions, and it's also the perfect time to do kegels! :D The actual standing on the plates doesn't really feel like it's using any additional energy (calories) vs. just plain standing.

I guess this is a long way 'round to say "I don't know" if these help weight loss. But it can't hurt to add to something you're already doing.
  • Lostboy1957
    Lostboy1957 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    all that vibration going through your spine cant be good.
  • XK150s
    XK150s Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    all that vibration going through your spine cant be good.
    I have seen some studies that have followed people over a years time and the affects it can cause to the brain and joints. Seems to be inconclusive from the reports I’ve read. One institute even made the statement to not use vibration plates until more data was collected. At one time Dr’s said smoking was healthy too so take it for what it’s worth.

• XK150s
    Options
    Ha! The belt massager - my mother had one of those in the 70s and would use it every day. I feel badly now that she was duped into thinking it was good for weight loss. But we had fun with it as kids, especially how it made your voice sound. :)

As for the vibration plates, I think the benefit is more the exercises you do while on them (increasing muscle mass) and the muscles that are engaged doing them with the vibration. I haven't seen any real data that just standing on them makes you lose weight (although the TV ads sure seem to imply this. :( ).

I've been doing light therapy in a booth that has the option of adding vibration, and I add it - more for the curiosity than anything. Since the space is small, there aren't a lot of exercises I can do without hitting the "walls", but I do balance work (stand on my toes, 1 foot, etc.), long abdominal contractions, and it's also the perfect time to do kegels! :D The actual standing on the plates doesn't really feel like it's using any additional energy (calories) vs. just plain standing.

I guess this is a long way 'round to say "I don't know" if these help weight loss. But it can't hurt to add to something you're already doing.
    . So just like doing a basic aerobic step platform routine? Just substituting the normal step platform for the vibration plate?

• XK150s
    Options
    If standing on vibrating plates, eating magic food, wearing brown on Sunday, or anything besides a calorie deficit made people lose weight, nobody would be fat and houses would be made with vibrating floors. There's no shortcut.
    . Might be onto something. In the next few years if you see “vibratory flooring” in homes then you were ahead of your time with the idea.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,538 Member
    Options
    There are a few studies that have shown professional lifters on vibration plates training does help with squatting power. I'll have to dig it up, but all in all, it's a SNAKE OIL sales tactic by companies that sell the home ones.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • XK150s
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    There are a few studies that have shown professional lifters on vibration plates training does help with squatting power. I'll have to dig it up, but all in all, it's a SNAKE OIL sales tactic by companies that sell the home ones.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
    Thank you for the info. The only ones I’ve used were the large multi-thousand $$ ones in rehab facilities. Talked with my nephew just today and he said they use them once a week for his college football team to aid in recovery following games.
  • OnceAndFutureAthlete
    OnceAndFutureAthlete Posts: 192 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    XK150s wrote: »
    So just like doing a basic aerobic step platform routine? Just substituting the normal step platform for the vibration plate?

Honestly, like I think I implied above, I have no real idea. I just add the vibration for $#!ts & giggles, like when I was a kid playing with my mom's belt massager, because otherwise it's really boring just standing there in the booth for 15 minutes. :D
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,538 Member
    Options

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/14750005/

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    I loveeeee mine and use it daily. I don't think it does anything for weight loss though. You have to do exercises on it to burn calories.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    XK150s wrote: »
    If standing on vibrating plates, eating magic food, wearing brown on Sunday, or anything besides a calorie deficit made people lose weight, nobody would be fat and houses would be made with vibrating floors. There's no shortcut.
    . Might be onto something. In the next few years if you see “vibratory flooring” in homes then you were ahead of your time with the idea.

There's an earthquake joke in here somewhere... 🙃
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    I personally know a guy who sells these and swears they are magic for weight/fat loss, getting ripped (or looking "toned" (barf)), etc etc...

...as a salesman, who owns one of these contraptions & uses it frequently, he is not exactly an Adonis. Since he started selling/using them, there's no visible difference in his entirely average physique (other than darker skin from WAY too much time in the tanning bed)
  • XK150s
    Options
    JBanx256 wrote: »
    I personally know a guy who sells these and swears they are magic for weight/fat loss, getting ripped (or looking "toned" (barf)), etc etc...

...as a salesman, who owns one of these contraptions & uses it frequently, he is not exactly an Adonis. Since he started selling/using them, there's no visible difference in his entirely average physique (other than darker skin from WAY too much time in the tanning bed)
    Thats funny. I’ve been using one for a week after each workout. Figured if I’m going to stretch during my cool down why not do it on the plate. I did three afternoon aerobic sessions during lunch. Was able to keep my heart rate 138-151 but probably would have done the same had I been using a regular step platform.

• KobiHensley
    KobiHensley Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I have one and I love it! I've had it for about five months and it has definitely made a difference in toning my muscles. I do exercises on it :)