So I have this problem..

Options
AND I NEED YOUR HELP!!!!

I have a major "snacking/binging/boredom" eating problem. It happens every night (just about), after dinner until its time to go to sleep! It's also taking a major toll on my weight loss--or lack there of!

How do I get myself to knock it off!?

Replies

• digitalsteel
    digitalsteel Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    replace carbs with protein and fat in your regular diet to stave off getting hungry later
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are eating enough calories through the day so you aren't actually hungry.
    Then find something to do to keep your hands busy.... learn to knit maybe!
  • CaliGirl313
    Options
    Thanks for the tips...
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 8,034 Member
    Options
    Brush your teeth right after dinner. Then it is too much trouble to have to brush them again.
  • Sheeshy
    Sheeshy Posts: 133
    Options
    Uuugh! I sooo struggled with this forever! I finally feel like I've gotten past it though!
    I started logging my food the day before - I find I do better when I have a plan. That way, I know what I've allowed myself each day, so I can decide when I want to eat it. It's made me stop and think - "Am I really hungry, or just bored?", because I don't want to go through all my food in 2 hours! I'm a big water drinker, so I keep water with me at all times, and that helps. If I'm really feeling like I need something before I really planned on it, I drink some water, give myself some time, like 30 minutes, and then see how I feel. If it was just a craving, or a desire to snack, it's passed, but if I really am hungry, then I'll go ahead and eat a little of my pre-planned food. This helped me a lot - hope it helps you too!
  • imprimez
    Options
    The simplest and most effective way to stop your snacking is to discipline yourself. Neither healthier substitutes or elaborate plans to prevent snacking will help much if you can't resist the urges to keep eating.

Again: DISCIPLINE, DISCIPLINE, DISCIPLINE!!
  • elimay59
    Options
    try drinking a full glass of water do a craft . I crochet really cute hates and make jjewelerynot only does it keep you busy it makes you feel good especially when you give it as a gift.
  • shauna121211
    shauna121211 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Have some tea or better yet, keep a bottle of water at hand.
  • rechelle7
    Options
    That has also been one of my biggest hurdles as well. I'll actually create a "snack plate" for myself. I usually have string cheese, honey turkey (deli thin), and sometimes I'll make myself a salad using spinach leaves, arugula & romaine lettuces. I'll add imitation crab, mushrooms and tomatoes and use those salad sprays or tons of lemon juice to add flavor. I've also learned to use small amounts of regular dressing. I generally stay away from carbs after 6PM and will munch on veggies, some fruits or protiens. Good luck!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    AND I NEED YOUR HELP!!!!

I have a major "snacking/binging/boredom" eating problem. It happens every night (just about), after dinner until its time to go to sleep! It's also taking a major toll on my weight loss--or lack there of!

Eat less in the day to make up for it.
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    Try sugar free gums :) Very low on calories... and like the brushing teeth trick, it makes your breath minty!
  • lovelyiskey
    lovelyiskey Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. I found this site has helped me a lot and it's only been a week. The main thing for me is "mind over matter", i want to follow the recommended balance on this site so i can be healthy and if i put in that icecream or whatever i'm craving into "my foods" just to check the calories it scares me with that BIG RED number so i don't eat it hahah.

Also, my cravings are getting better since I try to make sure i eat breakfast lunch and dinner (although i tend to miss breakfast sometimes -bad me) and just being more active has made me crave junkfood at night. I must have been missing the carbs in my regular day and now i'm getting them through different natural foods :)
  • BanderaOutlaw
    Options
    Oh man, I used to suffer the same problem, and bowls (up to three in a sitting) of cereal were my outlet.

Eating healthier, and eating more volume of healthier food, has helped a great deal. Having some replacement meals for cravings helps me - when I want ice cream, I'll grab yogurt or a Slim Fast shake, especially if I need chocolate. If I need a candy bar or something chewy, I'll grab an Atkins peanut butter nougat bar.

Try two tablespoons of almond butter on a stick of celery when you're near bed and having cravings - it'll kill the edgy and craving, and it will help you feel better when you get up in the morning.

You could try making dinner your healthiest meal of the day, and eating it later, right before bed.

Your body is probably addicted to those things you crave when you're bored or want a snack - keep in mind, it does get easier the longer you can stay away from that stuff. Your body has to rebalance itself and its perceived needs away from the unhealthy options you have may gone to in the past.

Sugar free jello can help, too. :-)

Honestly, I'm no paragon of control when it comes to my diet. I fail often, but the key is to let a failing simply be what it is in the grand context of your new diet and new lifestyle. I've had 3,600 calorie days when I wanted, planned and only intended on 1,200 to 1,600 calories. But you just have to let those meals (days, even) go - work to simply improve your ratios of healthy food to unhealthy food. Experiment. Observe yourself, try to have perspective, and learn what your weaknesses are. Experiment with solutions like the above, see what works best for you.

The most important act is committing yourself to eating and feeling better. Everything after that point is trial, error, growth, betterment, and tenacity. :-)
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Brush your teeth right after dinner. Then it is too much trouble to have to brush them again.

I go to the Listerine after dinner on days when I know it'll be a struggle.
  • wobblychopz
    wobblychopz Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    no offence, but get a hobby! Seriously, You need to do something to distract yourself and keep you away from the fridge/cupboards. something that is interesting and will engage you. something that will take your mind off eating. Like study a subject you are interested in, read a good book, buy a dvd series of your favourite TV show, get a second job for some extra cash.
    You will also need to stop stocking up on crap food because if it is not there, you cannot eat it. Buy healthy yummy stuff like carrots, celery, nuts, air popped popcorn etc and put them into portions in your fridge/cupboard.
    Make some realistic goals and create rewards that dont involve food for when you achieve them such as, limit your snacking for a week then you can shout yourself a lipstick/bracelet/shoes/movie etc.
    You are the master of your own destiny, and if you want it, YOU can make it happen. (no one else can do it for you). I believe we can achieve anything we set our minds to. GOOD LUCK! = )
  • CaliGirl313
    Options
    Wow! Such great responses! All are very motivating and useful! Tomorrow is a new day and hopefully I can stick to my calorie goal of 1380!
  • cathdrew2
    cathdrew2 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Adequate calories with a focus on protein does it for me: a cup of fat free greek yogurt has 120 calories and as a mid-morning snack lets me eat a sensible lunch without blinking an eye. Another protein-rich snack mid-afternoon (light string cheese and low-fat crackers or almonds and a small fruit serving) gets me to a sensible supper. Logging the food before you eat it is critical as well, but especially at the end of the day. You may want a cupcake and ice cream - if you don't have enough calories eat 1/2 the cupcake and a few spoons of premium ice cream (or whatever portion sizes keep you at goal) - you get the taste you want which helps with the will-power but you also get the weight loss by sticking to the goal. Every day is a new day - fall down seven, get up 8 - you can do this!!
  • AI1108
    AI1108 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Drink a lot of water & keep yourself out of the kitchen after dinner. If you'd like .. maybe a piece of fruit or a protein shake to keep yourself satisfied but then you have to tell yourself that the kitchen is OFF LIMITS. Also keeping binging food out of the kitchen is a good idea... basically anything easy to grab is a no no at least for a while until you develop the habit of not wanting it. And try planning your diary ahead of time. If its not in your diary, it doesn't go into your mouth sort of thing.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    AND I NEED YOUR HELP!!!!

Was going to say the same thing :)

Or just exercise a bit more to ensure you still reach your target deficit.
  • R4z0r4Mm0
    Options
    AND I NEED YOUR HELP!!!!

Was going to say the same thing :)

Or just exercise a bit more to ensure you still reach your target deficit.

Yup, I do that as well. I used to feel guilty and hide it from everyone before joining MFP - now, I still do that - but guilt free.

Do what the guy above me said - I know I'm prone to late night eating, so I eat less and workout a little more during the day. If I don't binge-eat that night, then I have extra cals for the next day :)