Get chills after working out?

Options
2»

Replies

• kym123tx
    kym123tx Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Glad to know im not the only one freezing my butt off after working my butt off! lol
    funny bodies we have?!!
  • greenmountainfitness
    Options
    Simple answer is you need more water and carbs. As people try to lose weight they cut carbs out too much. when you workout you are depleting your body of glycogen in the muscles. when you do this you lose water as well. you need these to maintain your metabolism to regulate temperature.

most people are not hydrated because they have cut carbs too much. to be hydrated you must have carbs as one gram of glycogen(what carbs are broken down to so they go into the muscle) attaches to two grams of water in order to be stored in the muscle. this part of the "pump". just drinking water will not hydrate you.

the solution to the problem. have one cheat meal with lots of carbs on an off day an drink a cycling bottle of water during your workout and one right after the workout.

how do i know this. i have been a fitness pro since 1985 and have used this method for my clients with this problem. This is a very simple answer and may require further discussion, but try this.

the best way to lose fat is to exercise more and eat more.
    Brian
    Green Mountain Fitness
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Green-Mountain-Fitness/259516304169800
  • MzMD
    MzMD Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    We posed your question to Dr. Ollie Jay, founder of the Thermal Ergonomics Laboratory at the University of Ottawa, who gave us a quick lesson on sweat and why your gender may have something to do with your shivers.

“When you go for a run, your metabolic rate goes up quickly because you need to deliver oxygen to your tissues to fuel muscle contractions,” Jay says. “The transfer of energy in the cellular process needed to create these muscle contractions is very inefficient, so a lot of this energy is liberated as heat—80 to 95 percent of it.”

That heat needs to dissipate to the environment in order to keep your core temperature from rising too high, and your body sheds the heat by increasing blood flow to the skin and sweating. “But we don’t start dissipating enough heat to balance the elevated metabolic heat production until about 30 or 45 minutes of exercise,” Jay says. So your body temperature will rise for about half an hour until it plateaus when you’re losing enough heat through your skin to keep your body from baking.

*When you finish exercising, your metabolic heat production immediately drops. But you’ll keep sweating for a while and continue to lose heat to the environment through the evaporation of that sweat. “How this affects your core temperature depends on your body’s shape and surface area to mass ratio,” Jay says. Women often have a high surface area to mass ratio, so they tend to lose more heat more quickly after a workout than men do, making them cold. (Taller, thinner men, Jay points out, also tend to experience the post-workout freezies more often than bigger guys.)

THE SOLUTION: Obvious, but it bears repeating: Change out of damp or wet workout clothes and get dry as quickly as possible.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    If you're shivering, you get to count it as a post workout workout.

I get done, get super hot so I remove layers and two minutes later, I'm super cold. The warm shower takes care of it for me.

A medical reason? I have no idea.
  • RichardW13
    RichardW13 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Since this topic is still going...

I have begun to experience this sensation just this week. I'm on week 5 of a 6 week program. I take in the same pre/post workout fuel every day, so the amount of sugar I take in hasn't changed. The biggest difference in what I'm reading on here and what happens to me is that for me, this happens while I'm lifting heavy. During my set I'll feel cold/chilled in the areas that are being worked (ex: torso and arms), but it dissipates a few seconds after I'm done with that set. Yes, I'm sweating, but that's constant. I've also ruled out a fan or AC vent. It doesn't matter where in the gym I"m working. And it just started this week. I've never experienced it before and it doesn't happen any other time, not even after the workout. It's just...weird.
  • schnicklefritz1
    schnicklefritz1 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    So, my 2 cents is this....I have this occasionally as well....it is not low sugar for me, and it happens even after I take a shower and warm up. I think, for me...it is the adrenaline "low" kicking in. It ONLY happens to me when I have "kicked butt" and had one of those work outs that almost make you cry because you pushed further than you thought you could. Unfortunately, I have not had to worry about the work out shakes for a while now…I am getting back in to it slowly, logging food is my main goal right now. I lost 10 pounds last week (I know, some of that was water) and have kept off 9 (Memorial Day weekend happened). Good luck in the search for the correct answer…if there is one…I will continue with the theory it is my reward for kicking butt. LOL
  • ffuryy
    ffuryy Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have this problem too and found the following information from a doctor on a runner's website... I am no runner, but I am 71, overweight and out-of-shape, plus I have COPD caused by chronic bronchitis, not smoking... but I'm determined to get as healthy as possible... so my 2 mile walks are very hard on me and I FEEL like I ran a marathon after! ha!

https://www.runnersworld.com/advanced/a20812452/ask-the-coaches-goose-bumps-and-chills-in-warm-weather-marathons/
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    Yes but only if the sweat dries on my skin and I don’t shower. I attribute it to that lingering moisture plus the air conditioning