My sodium & fat daily intake are extremely high

Options
dbriggs150
dbriggs150 Posts: 2 Member
edited July 2021 in Getting Started
I never noticed until using this app how high my sodium & fat daily intakes are. I tend to eat 1-2 small meals a day. I stopped adding extra salt and unnecessary fat to my meals, yet my intake is still over my daily limit. Many foods already have these things in them and almost or close to the reccommened daily value.

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,111 Member
    Options
    It would be easier to make suggestions if we knew what you were eating. Could you make your diary public?
  • 46mariella
    46mariella Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I struggle everyday with balancing my fat and sodium intake. I'm 75 and I don't really enjoy cooking anymore, unless it is something easy. I ditched the salt shaker years ago. I have noticed it is the convenience foods that raise my levels. Most everything bought already made or canned or packaged has lots of sodium. They say fresh is the best but it's a struggle. I try to choose low sodium when I can. Wishing you good luck in your journey.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I don't have sodium issues but my husband does.

The bottom line is that most convenience foods (canned and frozen) and - pre-blended spice packets - are SUPER high sodium, as is fast food. We do a lot more no salt added basics like canned beans, rotel, and tomato products, and a lot more just... single ingredients we combine ourselves.

The biggest real advice I can give you is 'just because it doesn't taste salty to you, doesn't mean the sodium isn't crazy'. The salt shaker is probably NOT your biggest enemy.

I can't help you on fat. About half my calories most days come from fat and for me that's fine.
  • ldaltonbishop
    ldaltonbishop Posts: 97 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Frozen vegetables (not the ones with sauce) usually have no added salt or fat and are convenient. To reduce sodium I avoid processed lunchmeat and try to cook meat I like that slices well for sandwiches. Read the labels before buying! London broil for beef and pork loin or tenderloin are fairly low in fat and sodium, braise or slow-cook well, and slice beautifully if you let them cool. Eye of round is another good beef choice. You can slice off what you need for a few days and slice the rest to freeze in small packets for the future. We also eat a lot of boneless skinless chicken thighs or breast. Look for meat that calls itself natural. It may not mean much but usually has less added salt. Pre-seasoned meats have more sodium than I am usually comfortable with.

Cooking from scratch is always the easiest way to control salt and fat. Restaurant meals are just wicked for sodium, even most salads. We control what we can.

Watch your spices. Blends like chili powder are high in sodium, but individual chile powders (Ancho, Chipotle) are not. Also watch the serving sizes -- 35 mg of sodium doesn't sound like much, but maybe that's for 1/4 teaspoon. If you're adding two tablespoons that's 840 mg.

But I obsess.
  • PepeLPew
    PepeLPew Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    dbriggs150 wrote: »
    I never noticed until using this app how high my sodium & fat daily intakes are. I tend to eat 1-2 small meals a day. I stopped adding extra salt and unnecessary fat to my meals, yet my intake is still over my daily limit. Many foods already have these things in them and almost or close to the reccommened daily value.

It would help to get an idea of how much sodium is in your diet.

Canned goods tend to have a lot of salt as well. Processed foods have insane amounts and restaurants I no longer frequent given the food is either oversalted or plain bland.

Try swapping out 1-2 items and replace them with fresh alternatives? It might make the difference. Lots of fresh fruit.

But congrats on making the connection with your salt intake :)

• 2bFitR
    2bFitR Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    It's great that you're noticing your sodium and fat levels and wanting to do something about it before there are serious health consequences. Sodium, saturated fat and added sugars are huge factors in coronary artery disease and heart health. As a recent heart patient who found this out the hard way (blocked coronary arteries requiring stints), If you greatly minimize those three things your cholesterol levels, blood sugar levels and weight should dramatically improve.
    As others have said, convenience foods and processed foods are loaded with all three. Aiming for eating mostly whole unprocessed foods (mainly plant based) not only lets you control them but provides your body with great nutrition that helps not only with weight but helps you avoid heart disease, diabetes and other health issues. I've had to drastically change the types of foods I eat but it has worked wonders on my cholesterol lab results, my A1C has improved and I'm steadily losing weight.
    One thing to keep in mind is there are healthy fats (for instance avocados, nuts and seeds) but saturated fats from animal products are the ones that contribute so much to the buildup of plaque in our arteries. Also we need some sodium but it's in so many things that most Americans take in way more than we should. Lastly although fruits contain sugar they're great (along with vegetables) for your health because they have lots of beneficial nutrients plus fiber that makes them have less impact on your insulin levels. It's the "added sugars" that we need to avoid and that are in most processed foods.
    Good luck with losing weight and improving your health.
  • willboywonder
    willboywonder Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Sodium is hard to manage, but so is sugar, at least for me it is. Many foods naturally come with sodium and/or sugar, and I'm not even talking about the added sodium or added sugar. Some people will say there is good sodium and bad sodium....good sugar and bad sugar. But when you want to cut it out, from my point of view, it's ALL bad. The MyFitnessPal tracker doesn't distinguish the good from the bad. Same is true for carbs. There is no distinction between the good ones and the bad ones. It isn't easy.
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    There is a difference between naturally occurring sodium in food and added sodium to prepackaged foods.

One of the easiest way to reduce sodium is to "cook from scratch" rather than from a box.

If time is a consideration, invest in a "pressure cooker" that will save you time and allow to to cook healthier foods.

Also, look for "low sodium" canned goods if needed. Frozen vegetables (with no added sauces) have zero added sodium. Same with packaged meats (like deli meats) - look for those that have lower sodium.

Some fats and oils are your friend. Look for extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil, eggs, wild caught fatty fish...

Stay away from partially hydrogenated vegetable oils (typically in frozen breaded meats, box meals, packaged bakery products).
  • PepeLPew
    PepeLPew Posts: 92 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Sodium is hard to manage, but so is sugar, at least for me it is. Many foods naturally come with sodium and/or sugar, and I'm not even talking about the added sodium or added sugar. Some people will say there is good sodium and bad sodium....good sugar and bad sugar. But when you want to cut it out, from my point of view, it's ALL bad. The MyFitnessPal tracker doesn't distinguish the good from the bad. Same is true for carbs. There is no distinction between the good ones and the bad ones. It isn't easy.

Natural sugars aren't an issue, from what I've read. The fruits contain fiber which is thought to create a gelling effect in the intestine, which delay sugar absorption. They've done studies with people ingesting like 200 g of fruit with little or no adverse effects (and possible benefit actually) for body weight, blood pressure, and insulin and lipid levels after three to six months. More recently, they put people on about a 20 servings of fruit a day diet for a few weeks and found no adverse effects on weight or blood pressure or triglycerides, and an astounding 38 point drop in LDL cholesterol.

Given the benefits of fruit I would argue for their inclusion irrespective of their sugar content.

I had fruit months ago consistently in my weight-loss journey that I would eat after intense cardio. I continued to lose weight irrespective of how much I ate.

Cheers
  • tomdelia1
    tomdelia1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Oddly, bread has a lot of sodium.
  • Trixsterfan
    Trixsterfan Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    High salt and fats are usually found in processed foods. After two or three weeks without salt in foods is difficult, but after this period you will be able to detect, and dislike in my case, the presence of too much salt in your foods. Regards fat, without seeing what is in your daily diet it is difficult to comment, however there are some good fats.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I've greatly reduced salt. Once you get used to it it becomes second nature. And, all the salty foods you like now will start to taste too salty. (I promise.) The same goes for sugar.

We are blessed that food labels come right out and tell you the salt content (at least in the US, thanks to the US FDA), so learning about it is incredibly easy. And, with so many people on low sodium diets, you can find low sodium versions of everything. For example, I buy low-sodium sliced turkey at the deli every week and eat it for lunch almost every day. I also eat a lot of unsalted nuts. I couldn't find a cold breakfast cereal that was low in both sugar and salt, so now I just eat a half cup of instant oats with some fruit, nuts, and milk.

Note that if you get out in the heat in the summer, you need a little more sodium and maybe some other electrolytes.

Now, about fats: don't fear them, they do not make you fat or raise your cholesterol, and healthy fats are really good for you. Even butter (the scourge of the 70s) is fine, so long as you keep tabs on it. I let my macros vary around day-to-day and am perfectly happy to eat as much as 50% of my daily calories as fats.

Best of luck!
  • PaymanLux
    PaymanLux Posts: 23 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    a80jv7svq3c4.jpg
    FitnessPal says my sodium consumption is double the limit at an average 4000mg/day, should be about 2000 tops. I am also struggling to find a solution because almost everything that isnt produce has salt added. Suppose I should pick the salt off my crackers before eating them.
  • Lizard863
    Lizard863 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I am concerned about the amount of sodium I’m consuming as well. It’s especially present in many meats. It’s a work in process to find the right balance.
  • whoami67
    whoami67 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    What are you eating? Do you have a health concern that requires you to lower your sodium intake? About 1/3 of people respond well to lower sodium. About 1/3 of people respond poorly to a low sodium diet. The remaining 1/3 really have no need to worry either way.

Fat is good for you if it is good fat. Many doctors, dietitians and eaters have come to realize that the low fat recommendations of the 1980's and 1990's have been detrimental to their health and their weight. How much fat are you eating? What is your goal? What type of fat are you eating?

Since you say you have high sodium and fat levels, I suspect you may be eating a lot of processed foods. Perhaps you should try cooking from scratch more often so you can better control what you consume.
  • YellowD0gs
    YellowD0gs Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    tomdelia1 wrote: »

Not odd at all when you consider that common ingredients in bread are baking powder and baking soda; both forms and mixtures of Sodium bicarbonate...in addition to salt added for taste.
  • Alinouveau2
    Alinouveau2 Posts: 6,194 Member
    Options
    YellowD0gs wrote: »
    tomdelia1 wrote: »

Not odd at all when you consider that common ingredients in bread are baking powder and baking soda; both forms and mixtures of Sodium bicarbonate...in addition to salt added for taste.

Actually most bread is yeast based and doesn't have baking powder or yeast unless it's a quick sweet kind of bread. It contains salt a good helping is salt because flour, water and yeast are basically tasteless. Whole wheat bread tens to have a lot of sugar added to make them palatable.
  • Xikaiden
    Xikaiden Posts: 37 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Haven't been terribly over sodium wise for the week, but usually 1-2K over the daily recommended amount. Mine tends to be from drink additives ontop of food. (Crystal Light, Gatorade Zero, etc) Can't stand the taste of plain water, and the flavoring is slightly healthier-ish than all the Soda I used to drink.
    PaymanLux wrote: »
    a80jv7svq3c4.jpg
    FitnessPal says my sodium consumption is double the limit at an average 4000mg/day, should be about 2000 tops. I am also struggling to find a solution because almost everything that isnt produce has salt added. Suppose I should pick the salt off my crackers before eating them.
    You could use a hand vac, would be a little faster X'D
  • Kelly4374
    Kelly4374 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I use a lot of canned food, whether or not I trust the internet, up to 50% sodium is taken off it you wash and strain canned. I strain...but I don't have salt intake problem so not sure if accurate. 😅
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    There is an ongoing debate as to whether the general public has to worry about sodium or whether it's just certain sensitive individuals (like me) that need to worry about it.