Hormonal changes! Starving!

Options
Ladies,

I have been on birth control for over a year (not for birth control but for another medical reason of taking it)... But I stopped taking it 3 weeks ago because I'm sick of the way it makes me feel.. Ever since stopped I have been starving! Like I never feel full and want to eat all day every day. Has anyone experienced this? I'm sure my hormones will balance out soon but I am a mess right now lol

Replies

• penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Ladies,

I have been on birth control for over a year (not for birth control but for another medical reason of taking it)... But I stopped taking it 3 weeks ago because I'm sick of the way it makes me feel.. Ever since stopped I have been starving! Like I never feel full and want to eat all day every day. Has anyone experienced this? I'm sure my hormones will balance out soon but I am a mess right now lol

The transition can be tough, but IMO it's worth it! I hope your medical issues have been resolved or at least aren't bothering you as much. <3

Some of it is just adjusting. How long it takes to actually begin ovulating again can vary woman to woman, but when you are cycling you have different caloric needs at different parts of your cycle. So feeling more hungry or having cravings is not just a made up thing, though of course you're in charge of how you respond to that!

If you have any interest in it you might want to try tracking your fertility with an app - there's a million now. Or you can go old school and use a book like Taking Charge of Your Fertility, which shows you how to do it on paper (I use an app now, but I am still thankful for how much I learned from reading that book - it goes into detail about the hormonal changes during a cycle, what they mean, and how to observe them, as well as troubleshooting some common medical issues). Tracking fertility isn't just for conceiving or avoiding pregnancy - it's also a useful tool just for general health.

Some tricks for managing the hunger - make sure you're well hydrated, eat filling foods, and honestly, making sure you are actually eating enough! You might need more to eat than you did when your cycle was suppressed. Careful logging can help you figure that out as well as observe and not be alarmed by the natural water weight changes that occur during a cycle. :)
  • AlyssaP1987
    AlyssaP1987 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Ladies,

The transition can be tough, but IMO it's worth it! I hope your medical issues have been resolved or at least aren't bothering you as much. <3

Some of it is just adjusting. How long it takes to actually begin ovulating again can vary woman to woman, but when you are cycling you have different caloric needs at different parts of your cycle. So feeling more hungry or having cravings is not just a made up thing, though of course you're in charge of how you respond to that!

If you have any interest in it you might want to try tracking your fertility with an app - there's a million now. Or you can go old school and use a book like Taking Charge of Your Fertility, which shows you how to do it on paper (I use an app now, but I am still thankful for how much I learned from reading that book - it goes into detail about the hormonal changes during a cycle, what they mean, and how to observe them, as well as troubleshooting some common medical issues). Tracking fertility isn't just for conceiving or avoiding pregnancy - it's also a useful tool just for general health.

Some tricks for managing the hunger - make sure you're well hydrated, eat filling foods, and honestly, making sure you are actually eating enough! You might need more to eat than you did when your cycle was suppressed. Careful logging can help you figure that out as well as observe and not be alarmed by the natural water weight changes that occur during a cycle. :)

Thank you so much! This was super helpful. I'm 34 years old and just found out (from you) its good to track my fertility for other reasons than conceiving! Thank you! ♡ lol

The problems have not been resolved but I haven't had a period for 14 months on the pill and I don't think that's healthy, so I am taking my health in my own hands. I want to see what my cycle is like without the medication then will go from there. I originally had 4 options for treatment. Birth control (to control heavy bleeding), getting an endometrial ablation, remove the polyp or have a hysterectomy. I chose the least permanent option that didn't hinder my chances of ever having a baby because I am not ready to make that choice yet. But I am going to find a new dr (I want to find someone a little more natural) and go from there.
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Ladies,

Thank you so much! This was super helpful. I'm 34 years old and just found out (from you) its good to track my fertility for other reasons than conceiving! Thank you! ♡ lol

The problems have not been resolved but I haven't had a period for 14 months on the pill and I don't think that's healthy, so I am taking my health in my own hands. I want to see what my cycle is like without the medication then will go from there. I originally had 4 options for treatment. Birth control (to control heavy bleeding), getting an endometrial ablation, remove the polyp or have a hysterectomy. I chose the least permanent option that didn't hinder my chances of ever having a baby because I am not ready to make that choice yet. But I am going to find a new dr (I want to find someone a little more natural) and go from there.

Oof that's very rough. I'm 34 too, and while I haven't dealt with gynecological health issues like this I know many women who have. If you're open to it and there are doctors in your area, you might research Napro technology - it's often used by women to treat infertility, but fundamentally it's actually what you're describing here - trying to cure the underlying cause of issues so the body will function normally, rather than just alleviate or finding workarounds for the worst symptoms, which seems to be the more mainstream approach. Even if you're not ready to have a baby now or at all, I think it's really smart to try to figure this out sooner rather than later to keep as many options as you can open.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Ladies,

I'd first like to rule out issues other than hormones:

1. How much weight do you want to lose total and what weekly weight loss goal did you select?
    2. What are your fiber and protein goals and how well do you hit them?