Does anyone consider their body frame when calculating their

Options
I always knew I was on the larger side, body frame wise, what with my size 8 (Uk that is) feet and my man hands that were bigger than my boyfriend's (embarrassing!).

But I hadn't taken that into consideration when calculating my weight loss till this morning. I did it on this website: http://www.icb2001.com/What_You_Should_Weigh.asp The answer is the second paragraph after you have done the calculations.

I am sure there are many more websites with this info out there. I just googled it and went for the 2nd option.

Please let me know your views!

Replies

• snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    For my ideal weight calculation, I just take my body fat % and find the "healthy range". This tells me my ideal weight is about 165. Thats pretty high, I know, but I am very muscular AND have a large frame. Once I get down below 170, I will have a better idea much much more weight I personally would want to weigh.
  • jaramae
    jaramae Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I think in general a common number for my measurements leaves me at an ideal weight of 135. I will do my best to reach as close as I can but I think realistically, once I factor in muscle I don't know if that number will ever show up in the scale. I think once I get closer to the 150 mark, I'll be more concerned with body fat % and body measurements to determine how much more work I need to do.

Oh to dream of having such a dilemma... someday soon :)
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    YES & I find it very important when calculating ideal weight so we know if what we are aiming is realistic or no. I'm somewhere in the medium-large frame. My fingers touch on my wrist size of 6" w/c classifies as medium but my elbow is 2.75" which classifies as large for my height. When I learned to accept that I cannot have a body like Kate Moss or Cindy Crawford, immediately my weight & lifestyle followed. Instead I look up to medium framed celebrities particularly those with a pear shape like Jennifer Lopez or Kim Kardashian as my fitness idol.

For my frame, my ideal weight range is somewhere between 121-135.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,509 Member
    Options
    I did a thread on this a couple of months back. You do need to know your lean body mass to do it though.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/304029-a-quick-way-to-figure-out-your-ideal-weight?hl=an+easy+way+to+figure+out+your+goal+weight
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    In anatomy class, how we were told how a basic way to tell your build is wrap your hand around your other hand's wrist, trying to touch middle finger to thumb. If they touch, you have a normal frame. If they dont touch, you have a large frame, and if they overlap you will have a small frame. Not super scientific, but it does work
  • shauna121211
    shauna121211 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Good to know... I have a medium frame! I was aiming for 135-145 and I should be aiming for 130-144. Right on :happy:
  • theperfectratio
    theperfectratio Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    For some reason, depending on whether I use the elbow (2.2) or wrist (6.2) I'm either a small or large frame, respectively. This changes my ideal weights quite a bit o_o (124-136 vs 143-158). I'm going with small though because I'm at 161 right now and I can't imagine that losing 3 pounds would be my 'ideal weight' hahaha.
  • hazieo
    hazieo Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    That's really interesting, thanks so much for posting it!
  • cownancy
    Options
    LOL....this is one of my favorite topics....I am 5'10" or 5'11", depending on my spine. I have a size THIRTEEN ring finger on my left hand and a 14 on my right hand. If I want to wear a bracelet, it has to be a 9 inches. I also need a 20" chain for my necklaces, minimally. My feet are size 11 or 12, depending on the shoe. I think I was supposed to be a male and a football player at that. When I was a teenager, my doctors kept telling me 160 pounds was the minimum I should weight, now at 54, they tell me 180, but none of the charts say that.

When I did the hand around wrist test, I have an inch between my fingers. I feel like I am transplanted from Land of the Giants sometimes!

:ohwell:
  • Qattusa
    Qattusa Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    In anatomy class, how we were told how a basic way to tell your build is wrap your hand around your other hand's wrist, trying to touch middle finger to thumb. If they touch, you have a normal frame. If they dont touch, you have a large frame, and if they overlap you will have a small frame. Not super scientific, but it does work

This might sound like a silly question... but... What if you have big hands anyway? :embarassed:
  • Qattusa
    Qattusa Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    For my ideal weight calculation, I just take my body fat % and find the "healthy range". This tells me my ideal weight is about 165. Thats pretty high, I know, but I am very muscular AND have a large frame. Once I get down below 170, I will have a better idea much much more weight I personally would want to weigh.

How did you calculate your body fat percentage?