Defining the boundaries of a "day"

Options
As you may have noticed from my profile, I don't go to bed on time :D

Given this, is there a way to apply late-night exercise that happens after midnight to "yesterday", the day it still is in my mind until whenever I actually go to bed?

Replies

• EyeOTS
    EyeOTS Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    It's whatever you count as a day. I work the third shift, so I absolutely go by 'when I go to sleep' rather than the calander
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,293 Member
    Options
    For anything added by my watch, I just allow it to rollover to the next day, because that’s my standard daily exercise. And I am not in maintenance yet.
    For other exercise I add it to my day, whichever date it was when I got out of bed.
    I often get to bed around three am.
  • Hollis100
    Hollis100 Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    Overnight worker here.

You could pre-log the exercise. Just be sure you're actually going to do it. Or, as the poster above said, let the exercise roll over to the next day.
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    You can go back and add food/exercise to yesterday's diary if you wanted to do that.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    Options
    It will depend if you're using a synced device or not, if you are then no, it syncs to the time you did the activity, if you aren't then you can just add it to the previous day, though honestly it's not going to make much difference, it's what you're doing over the long term that matters, not what you do in a 24 hour period (for example if you eat a little extra on the day you're exercising late and you end up with the activity logged the next day the calorie burn still happened - you can see your average net intake over the week in the reports - pie chart icon)
  • OnceAndFutureAthlete
    OnceAndFutureAthlete Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    LOL, this caught my eye because I'm a night owl and generally go to bed about 2 AM. So when the late night munchies have hit before bed, and I've reached my calorie limit for the day, my mind has gone to "well it's really tomorrow...." like I could "steal" calories from the next day. :/

I know that's not the same situation you're talking about - kind of the opposite - but solution is the same: I define "day" = waking up from one major sleep period to going to bed for the next, and napping doesn't count! ;)
  • whoami67
    whoami67 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I count a day as a 24 hour period. I frequently switch between working all day and working all night. Sometimes I'm awake more than 24 hours depending on my work schedule. I still count a day as 24 hours. However, some days I plan higher calories (if I'm on a 19 hour workday, for example) and other days I plan fewer calories (if I'm sleeping almost the entire time). Same with exercise.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    It will depend if you're using a synced device or not, if you are then no, it syncs to the time you did the activity, if you aren't then you can just add it to the previous day, though honestly it's not going to make much difference, it's what you're doing over the long term that matters, not what you do in a 24 hour period (for example if you eat a little extra on the day you're exercising late and you end up with the activity logged the next day the calorie burn still happened - you can see your average net intake over the week in the reports - pie chart icon)

This is a good point -- but there is a work-around for this problem. Go into your settings and change your time zone so that your "day" ends whenever is convenient for you.