Teacher Friends- Help, Support Motivation

I’ve been working on losing some weight this summer (down 18 pounds-woot!) but school starts next week and I’m going to need some extra help, support, and motivation. I’d love to share on-the-go breakfasts, lunch ideas and quick dinner recipes.

Replies

• mrsrebeccaplude1
    mrsrebeccaplude1 Posts: 29 Member
    I just saw the peanut butter breakfast cookies on the MFP blog. Going to try those tomorrow. Maybe I just found a breakfast option. 😆
  • mrsrebeccaplude1
    I made the breakfast cookies, but I don’t think I found my favorite go-to breakfast. They’re ok, but rather stodgy and bland. I wasn’t hungry until lunch though, that’s saying something when I’m rearranging my classroom.
  • BendableButMendable
    BendableButMendable Posts: 60 Member
    edited July 2021
    I'm not a teacher so I hope you don't mind me chiming in, but I would recommend overnight oats for a breakfast option and some kind of rice bowl for a lunch option.

There are plenty of ways to make/flavor overnight oats so they're easy to adjust to personal taste and calorie amount. I like to make mine with peanut butter and a scoop of chocolate protein powder or yogurt. Common additions are berries, bananas, or chia and flax seeds. I use mason jars to make mine so all I need to do is grab it out of the fridge and grab a spoon. If you add berries or fruit to it that's probably best to do right before eating it so it doesn't get soggy.

Rice bowls for lunch are also very convenient as long as you have access to a microwave. My two usual choices are rice with beans and salsa or rice with green lentils, hummus, and tofu. I like to add fresh baby spinach right before I eat it for the texture and fiber boost. They're also easy to customize to taste and the amount of calories you want and tend to contain enough fiber and protein to help you avoid the after lunch crash and cravings. And obviously you can add whatever meats or vegetables to them that you desire.
  • snacker127
    snacker127 Posts: 75 Member
    I like Greek nonfat yogurt for breakfast. I add fruit or honey. I always eat at school since I am not hungry in the early morning. This also gives me more time to get ready. Usually, if I cook the night before I make an extra serving and pack it as I am serving dinner so lunch is ready the night before. When I am really on my game I also make extra plain chicken breast during the weekend. I also keep some hard-boiled eggs available. I go back on the 30th, so we shall see how it goes. I am a little out of practice since we were fully remote until March, hybrid after that, and then I was only going in twice a week. Like the rice bowl idea. <3
  • mrsrebeccaplude1
    @BendableButMendable I just saw some ideas about overnight oats and has some questions… Do you hear it up in the morning? I like oatmeal but I’m not too sure about cold oatmeal. What’s the best type of container for it? The video I saw used mason jars, but again, I wasn’t sure how they would heat up.

Thank you so much for the ideas!
    I’m hoping to do some lunch prepping and rice bowls would be perfect!
  • mrsrebeccaplude1
    @snackee127 I’m the same way! I always pack my breakfast and lunch and eat both at school. I’ve been putting Greek yogurt into morning smoothies, but I’ll give it a try with some fruit. Thanks!
    I start back with training on Monday so I still have a week to figure out some “real life” breakfasts. Lol
  • BendableButMendable
    BendableButMendable Posts: 60 Member
    @BendableButMendable I just saw some ideas about overnight oats and has some questions… Do you hear it up in the morning? I like oatmeal but I’m not too sure about cold oatmeal. What’s the best type of container for it? The video I saw used mason jars, but again, I wasn’t sure how they would heat up.

Thank you so much for the ideas!
    I’m hoping to do some lunch prepping and rice bowls would be perfect!

I think most people eat overnight oats cold, that's how I have always eaten them. Like you I was a little pensive before my first bight of cold oatmeal but I found them really tasty that way. The only thing I could think to compare it to would be pudding (USA style pudding not UK style). I don't see any reason you couldn't heat them up though. The glass portion of the mason jar should be fine to heat up but you obviously wouldn't want to put the metal lids in the microwave. They make plastic lids with silicone seals that I think are microwavable but don't hold me to that. I personally use the plastic lids because they are less likely to leak but I've never tried them in the microwave. Worst case scenario, you could always take a separate microwave safe bowl to work to heat them in if you don't have a seal-able container that works for that.

The only advice I have in prepping them is to find the right amount of water for your personal taste. Going off memory (I haven't needed to meal prep in a while) I found that I liked 3/4 cups water to 1/2 cup oats to get the right consistency. But if I added something that absorbed more water to the mixture, like chia or flax seeds, I would up it to 1 cup water to 1/2 cup oats. If you add something watery, like yogurt, you may want to adjust for that as well until you find the way you like it. It's easy enough to prep a single serving, I would give it a try before you commit to prepping for a whole week at a time and see if you like it.
  • mrsrebeccaplude1
    @BendableButMendable Thanks so much for your advice! I’m going to try it out next week! I like the idea of fruit or yogurt.
  • mrsrebeccaplude1
    I think I found a great lunch idea! Tonight for supper, Husband and I ate “Big Mac” bowls. It was basically a salad with all the Big Mac fixins. We used ground venison instead of beef and I prefer bread and butter pickles over dills, and it was dang delicious!

I’m not sure I could prep them for a whole week (unless you’re a fan of soggy lettuce), but it would be a great salad to mix in for lunch.
  • jkreutzfeldt
    jkreutzfeldt Posts: 420 Member
    Fellow teacher here! I just started a new health program a few weeks ago, and will definitely be seeking some support once school starts in a couple weeks!!! I’m testing out a bunch of new recipes now, and am mostly relying on instant pot stuff.
    Feel free to friend me!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I usually do bulk cooking for the week on Sunday. 2 meals that will feed us with leftovers, and 4 lunches prepped for myself(like roasted cauliflower with chickpeas, or a bag of salad and homemade sauerkraut). We like dinner items like meat patties, noodle casserole/skillet 1 dish meals, chicken and vegetables stir fry.
    For breakfast, I usually have greek yogurt and fruit or protein bar and banana, plus my coffee. For snacks I do sliced apple and a protein snack(Kay's naturals or small bar).
  • DancingMoosie
    I think I found a great lunch idea! Tonight for supper, Husband and I ate “Big Mac” bowls. It was basically a salad with all the Big Mac fixins. We used ground venison instead of beef and I prefer bread and butter pickles over dills, and it was dang delicious!

I’m not sure I could prep them for a whole week (unless you’re a fan of soggy lettuce), but it would be a great salad to mix in for lunch.

Hamburger salad is one of my favorites!!!
  • mrsrebeccaplude1
    @DancingMoosie Thanks for the ideas! I tend to lean towards salads for lunches. Microwaving sometimes takes too many of my 20 minutes to eat. 🙃 I haven’t heard of Kay’s Naturals brand. So I’ll check it out!
  • DancingMoosie
    Prep a few hard boiled eggs too..I also like to get a whole rotisserie chicken. We eat the dark meat for dinner and cut up the white meat for lunches....great on salads!
  • cgjerde1
    cgjerde1 Posts: 20 Member
    I made up individual eggs quiches in muffin pans....quick and yummy. I get bored of salad and chicken for lunches....any ideas? I am lucky to have microwave time on my lunch break..
  • DancingMoosie
    I make a big pan of roasted chipotle cauliflower with mushrooms, sometimes with chickpeas...I season it with a little oil, Bragg's, goya chipotle chile in adobo chopped finely, and some cumin
  • mrsrebeccaplude1
    @cgjerde1 I agree! I’m hoping to make tortilla rolls for lunches. I’m not great at prepping for a whole week at once, but I can usually get my lunch put together the evening before.
  • snacker127
    Thanks for all the great lunch ideas. I think my biggest worry is keeping up the exercise. I have been training really hard this summer and I'm actually seeing some of the benefits, hate to let that go.
  • mrsrebeccaplude1
    @snacker127 Let me know how it goes! My main focus has been on my diet since I’ve started, but I know I’m going to have to start something. I’m already up at 5:30 for school and getting home around 4:30 exhausted but I know an afternoon/evening routine is probably what will work best. What program(s) are you using?
  • snacker127
    @snacker127 Let me know how it goes! My main focus has been on my diet since I’ve started, but I know I’m going to have to start something. I’m already up at 5:30 for school and getting home around 4:30 exhausted but I know an afternoon/evening routine is probably what will work best. What program(s) are you using?

I bought a Peloton in Dec 2020, and put my gym membership on hold. It was the best thing I ever did. But let me say that my exercise moto is and has always been "something is better than nothing". Even going for a short walk is better than just sitting. So start small, and think of it as part of your schedule. Have a look at your week and pick the days that make the most sense. For me it is hard to find the energy on staff meeting days, so that usually becomes my day off. Would love to hear about your journey. Keep me posted.