Cashew Nuts/ Nuts in General

Options
Does any one share my weakness when I say, if I got my hands on some cashews right now I'd go through the whole bag? Love them to bits but just 40gms supposedly have around 285 calories. Although they are better than 285 calories worth of junk food.
What is a healthy amount to have/ how often and can you add them to any easy recipes?

Replies

• 77tes
    77tes Posts: 8,041 Member
    Options
    I love nuts, and they are a really good food. I use a shot glass to measure about about an ounce. I also use a postage scale and weigh them. I have walnuts with my oatmeal in the morning, and on days when I work at night, I take a snack of 1 ounce of almonds and a half ounce of raisins.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Love them too, but really you should only eat them in verrrryyyyy small amounts .....on the whole I don't buy them, as I will not stop till they are finished , whereas with almonds I can buy a bag, and only eat 10 and then leave them.....

I like them best on their own, buy have seen them used in Asian type stir- fries
  • MaryEffingPoppins
    MaryEffingPoppins Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Cashews are my favorite nut! I've avoided them on my weight loss quest due to the fat content and am on pistachios. I'm enjoying the new nuts. But once I reach my goal weight, you better believe I'll be back! *Runs in slow motion and looks back* "I'll beeee backkkk!"
  • risefromruin
    risefromruin Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I love them! I usually stick to a serving size of about 15 as a snack, but I allow myself 30 pistachios. I believe I read somewhere once that that was the appropriate serving size... Anywho, it works for me :) I love putting cashews in stir frys and curries, YUM!
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    You keep hearing about how great walnuts are and pecans are the traditional nut in my family so I looked and as I suspected they are as good as walnuts for you. Thanks for the advice on how to measure them too.
  • DownSheGoes
    Options
    haha yes!!! i've been avoiding them while noting my daily intake and watching my weight but i've just bought some (500gms) as a small treat (:
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I have an ounce of cashews a day

If you're going to eat them after your weight loss why not eat them during it? they're still a good snack if you will limit your portion, if that means sorting a 2.2 lb bag into baggies of an ounce each...
  • MaryEffingPoppins
    Options
    Well @Pandorian I choose not to because when it comes to cashews I'm a sucker for love! I avoid my vices at all costs until I'm where I need be. To each is own right?
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Cashews are my favorite nut! I've avoided them on my weight loss quest due to the fat content and am on pistachios. I'm enjoying the new nuts. But once I reach my goal weight, you better believe I'll be back! *Runs in slow motion and looks back* "I'll beeee backkkk!"

I love pistachios too. The thing about nuts though is that it is healthy fat and you do need fat in your diet for healthy skin and to help your body absorb vitamins.

I can't buy them though because they are one of those foods where I lack portion control. I would eat the whole bag. :(
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Indeed you do what works. As I do, and for me I know I'm going to still eat cake, pizza, ice cream etc afterwards, so during my journey I'm finding ways to fit them in, making it work so when I go back to "normal" eating after I lose the weight I have a healthy idea of how I can eat it.
  • MaryEffingPoppins
    Options

I love pistachios too. The thing about nuts though is that it is healthy fat and you do need fat in your diet for healthy skin and to help your body absorb vitamins.

I can't buy them though because they are one of those foods where I lack portion control. I would eat the whole bag. :(

*tambourines*
  • MaryEffingPoppins
    Options
    Indeed you do what works. As I do, and for me I know I'm going to still eat cake, pizza, ice cream etc afterwards, so during my journey I'm finding ways to fit them in, making it work so when I go back to "normal" eating after I lose the weight I have a healthy idea of how I can eat it.

More power to you! Whatever works for you my dear. I wish you the best!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Cashews are food from the gods. SO ridiculously adictive. Yes, I had to stop buying them and even now that I'm trying to gain weight I still don't buy them because I know I can't stop!

Have eaten 800g at once one time. WOW!

On the positive side, apparently even though nuts are high calorie, the majority of it is passed through the digestive system rather than stored.
  • kandrews24
    kandrews24 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    OMG, love nuts and so good for you! I put sunflower seeds on my salads and in sandwhiches. For example I make a rad hummus veggie sandwhich and drop a table spoon of sunflower seeds on the bread after I put the hummus on.

On days I exercise a lot, I treat myself with a serving of nuts in the evening. Love 'em. I store then in the freezer so they don't spoil. I also buy all unsalted varieties (this helps a little with not overdoing it). One of my favorite snacks (have no idea why) is almonds and grapes.

Cashews are my favorite indeed. I have a 28g serving. It is so sad, but I enjoy each and every nut.
  • RagtimeLady
    RagtimeLady Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Pistachios! I can only get away with it when I justify my cravings for a need for potassium, which is TRUE! They're a great source of potassium, along with dried apricots (great snack there!). Dammmm... Now I have to go get some!
  • kandrews24
    kandrews24 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Oh and I make several very low fat, low cal breads (banana bread and pumpkin bread) with walnuts or pecans. It adds about 25 calories per serving, but so worth it to me.
  • onwalker
    Options
    All I can say.... is as a person who has suffered from a Vitamin E deficiency....

Nuts contain alot of Vitamin E....

which is good for your
    skin
    circulation
    balance
    liver
    heart
    and overall energy!

Its impossible for me to eat enough nuts to get heatlhy Vitamin E levels so take supplements instead... but not many foods contain Vitamin E and it is sooo sooo good for you!
  • PBJunkie
    Options
    Nuts and "braaivleis" is my comfort food! I love nuts!
  • haileemou
    Options
    Ive replaced say cereal bars and crap snacks for like 7 cashews and raisins - much better
  • mbissey
    Options
    I love cashew butter! It's awesome on wheat crackers...or with anything!