When is Too much????

Options
I'm sure this question has been asked before , but I keep getting different answers from friends...so I thought id post here to see what you all say here.

I do Zumba in the mornings and P90x in the evenings. If I find that I'm done with my housework and my son is taking a nap...I take out my Wii Fit and do some workout there. Been doing this schedule for about a week and a half now. I've been feeling great up until Tues. morning and I was extremely sore....even this morning I'm sore. Is it okay to work through the soreness or is this a way of my body telling me to slow down? I hear its good that I'm sore and that I should push through it, but then I also hear that I should rest and take it easy for a few days and allow my body to recover. However, I feel that if I take a few days off to "recover" , that I may not be as quick to jump back into my work out routines...

Any advice would be helpful. :)

Replies

• broken_star1134
    broken_star1134 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Maybe try something between. Don't completely stop just lighten up your load. That way your muscles aren't being pushed too much but then aren't completely stopping. That way it would be easier to start back up after your soreness goes away. :o) Good luck.
  • robinso5
    robinso5 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    you are working too hard because you want FAST results! You need to do whatever is comfortable with you. At the rate you are going you are not going to lose as much as you think as fast as you think. and you are going to tire yourself out and quit altogether so i think maybe doin gone or maybe two 4 to 5 days a week is enough(actually too much still) but i dont want you to stop and dont get back on the wagon.
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    Be sure to take a day off a week to let yourself recover. Days off are just as important as working out. P90X is a tough workout program, so I don't know if I would do the wii fit workout, I'd just allow yourself some time to relax. As for is it too much? Everyone's body is different, but you certainly don't want to overtrain. That could lead to injury.
  • Ezwoldo
    Ezwoldo Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    From my point of view you are doing too much and it will only be a matter of tim before fatuige kicks in at that rate, what you need to remember is that your body needs rest as much as exercise. Maybe you could not do 2 sessions in a day maybe 1 to give it the rest and time to recover, regarding the soreness it is ok to work through it but if it persist's then have a few days off as it could be something more.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    you should take a day as a recovery day every few days.... Days. lol. just take a day where you do some light stretching or yoga instead of a big strength or cardio training day.
  • edejesus2011
    Options
    Thank you ladies. :)

I don't work out that much to get fast results...I mostly do it because I enjoy working out and it makes me feel good. There is no "fast" way of losing weight and getting results ....atleast not in a way that is healthy. But I can see how my workout habits and lifestyle could look like I want fast results.

I do take the weekends off so I'm only working out Monday through Friday. I do Zumba in the mornings and the reason I do p9px in the evening is because I work out with my husband who recently joined me in my goal to lose weight. He now has started to lose weight as well and I am thankful that I was his motivation...
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    If you're sore then rest.. You're body is telling you to slow down and stop.

The workouts will be there when you get back.. it's not like they won't.
  • edejesus2011
    Options
    Thank you Gents too.. :):) I will try to lighten up my load... I just love Zumba and my husband enjoys P90x... We enjoy working out together...perhaps there is a balance for me... Zumba 3 days a week, P90 every evening minus the weekends??? How does this sound? Still too much :tongue:
  • CPrincipeDeSA
    CPrincipeDeSA Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but it sounds like a little bit much. Maybe you should give your body some time to rest and recover. I think we may be alike in that I've felt that I've had to be going at it intensely to get any accomplishment in the past. I've learned that that isn't good. Makes you more susceptible to injury, catches up and you wind up tired, plus it can lead to boredom or burn-out sooner. Maybe try varying intensity. Meaning on rest days, still move so you don't feel the guilt, but do something less intense like play at the park, walk, roll around with the baby, sweetie, or pets. That's my two-cents. Hope it helps.