The show LOST

Options
waverly9876
waverly9876 Posts: 605 Member
Hey. I know this has NOTHING to do with weight loss but I finally finished the show Lost. I was up to date on the show until the last season. I finally finished it and having trouble understanding what the finale meant. There are so many different ideas on what it meant...but I wanted to know what you all think... THANKS!

Replies

• wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    it means WE HAVE TO GO BACK! I miss that show SO much! I made lasting friendships in a chatroom about the show, we still chat about it on facebook LOL
  • Genem30
    Genem30 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    As much as I enjoyed the journey, I was completely let down by the destination. First season J J Abrams went on record as saying that what the finale ended up being wasn't the case. It felt like a cop out to me, a way to avoid answering questions they had no ideas or creative vision to flesh out.

Having said that, I still consider it one of the best shows overall in probably a decade, and I still queue up episodes on Netflix constantly to watch :).

The guy that played Richard is on Ringer now. Unfortunately, based on the Ringer pilot, that show is going to be awful.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    Which part lol? I think that they were all dead in that church. That they needed to be together to 'move on'. They all died at different times. Hurley much later since he took Jacobs place. Those that never became truly worthy of redemption were not able to go on with them.
    I was so attached to the characters of that show. My mom and I were just talking about how you can miss fictional characters in a book or a show because they become real in your imagination.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    Dude, I'm still in mourning.

The ending means that the writers lost track of what they were doing and tried to encompass too many ideas into one. Choose an ending you feel comfortable with. 'Cause the sing-songy garbage they tried to spit doesn't make sense. There's no right answer.

Seriously, that ending was almost as bad as "it was all a dream".
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Nobody survived the plane crash. Each character moved on to the next life so to speak in their own time and understanding. Jack was the last to move on. The whole existence on the island was created to help each other to move on. That's what I took from the finale. Very well written show I think.
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    Those ppl became my friends (except that simp Juliet, LOL)
    Michael Emerson (Ben) is in a new show this fall called Person of Interest - I'll check out that pilot -

I caught a couple episodes of Hawaii five 0 - I couldn't watch- it's AWFUL
  • waverly9876
    Options
    As much as I enjoyed the journey, I was completely let down by the destination. First season J J Abrams went on record as saying that what the finale ended up being wasn't the case. It felt like a cop out to me, a way to avoid answering questions they had no ideas or creative vision to flesh out.

Having said that, I still consider it one of the best shows overall in probably a decade, and I still queue up episodes on Netflix constantly to watch :).

The guy that played Richard is on Ringer now. Unfortunately, based on the Ringer pilot, that show is going to be awful.
    `

I like your ending. Thats what I was thinking...but my bf let me down and he thinks they all died in the plane crash..
  • waverly9876
    Options
    Nobody survived the plane crash. Each character moved on to the next life so to speak in their own time and understanding. Jack was the last to move on. The whole existence on the island was created to help each other to move on. That's what I took from the finale. Very well written show I think.

That is what my boyfriend thinks and I was NOT happy with that. LOL
  • cklbrown
    cklbrown Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    It was a about Jack and what he had to do to move on.
  • chezmama
    chezmama Posts: 396 Member
    Options

This. It was my favorite show of all times. All of the characters were so rich and you really did come to feel like they were your friends. But the ending was extremely disappointing. I have all the seasons except the last one because I was so disappointed with the ending. It's still the best show ever though.
  • brianward81
    brianward81 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I enjoyed the show but it was so over-hyped that I don't think the ending could have pleased anyone. I was fine with it but that apparently meant I was an idiot who didn't understand what it could have been. I wish I had watched it all, continuously over the span of a month and not talked to anyone about it as I think I would have enjoyed it more. Don't get me wrong, half the fun of the show was discussing what the heck that black smoke was or the hidden clues of things that never eventuated to anything, but the ending had no chance of pleasing the masses.
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options

Nope! That's wrong!

The island was real.

The thing that they 'created to wait for each other to move on' was the flash sideways in the last season.

Watch the last scene with Jack and his Dad in the church. Listen to what Christian says.

They all died at different times but the flash-sideways is where they all met up before 'moving on'. As Christian said "There's no 'now' here". He meant that time doesn't exist in the flash sideways and therefore even though every one died at different times they were all still able to be together in the flash sideways and 'move on' together. Think of it as if everyone's souls going into stasis until the last person dies, decades later.
  • chezmama
    chezmama Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    You know, I think what disappointed me the most is all the little questions that went unanswered. For example what did the others want with the kids? Why did they take Walt? That was one of the big questions I had from the very beginning and they never answered it. And what about Libby in the insane asylum and/or Libby giving Desmond his boat? What did that have to do with anything? They put so many intriguing little subplots out there that had me wanting to know more, but more never came.
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    Which part lol? I think that they were all dead in that church. That they needed to be together to 'move on'. They all died at different times. Hurley much later since he took Jacobs place. Those that never became truly worthy of redemption were not able to go on with them.
    I was so attached to the characters of that show. My mom and I were just talking about how you can miss fictional characters in a book or a show because they become real in your imagination.

I never watched LOST, but I can agree with that sentiment! I bawled for 20 mins (like hard core sobbing) after Michael left The Office, because I missed him already. I felt like an idiot, but I couldn't help it! Haha :)
  • pacmanjack
    pacmanjack Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    This is an appropriate topic for mfp, as we've all LOST some... weight.... :smile:

I adored Lost... never missed an episode. I accepted the finale for what it was. Did it answer every question and tie up all the loose ends? No. But it was beautiful, and it made me feel good... and sad that it was over.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Oh geez I was/am such a huge LOST fan. It's embarassing. Just look at my ticker!

Season 1 of that show is still the best thing that has ever been on television. No denying that.

It just went downhill. At the end they had nowhere to go with all of it and they focused on characters. Not realizing that by the time season 6 came around no one cared anymore if Jack found closure about his father's death. We were too focused on the nuclear bombs they detonated and the strange island buildings with the egyptian writing. At some point it turned completely into an action show and it lost something. Once they stopped using music montages at the end of episodes it just wasn't the same anymore..

But it's still my favorite show of all time. That's how good it was.

Victory or Death!
  • nattiepeach
    nattiepeach Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I enjoyed the show but it was so over-hyped that I don't think the ending could have pleased anyone. I was fine with it but that apparently meant I was an idiot who didn't understand what it could have been. I wish I had watched it all, continuously over the span of a month and not talked to anyone about it as I think I would have enjoyed it more. Don't get me wrong, half the fun of the show was discussing what the heck that black smoke was or the hidden clues of things that never eventuated to anything, but the ending had no chance of pleasing the masses.

You should be glad you didn't watch it all at once, that's what my boyfriend and I did. We got the box set and watched in a month, from beginning to end. As much as we LOVED it and fell in love with all the characters, it was way too much for me. It totally consumed my life and I couldn't sleep at night, literally. I would lie awake all night trying to figure things out and when I eventually slept, I had restless dreams about it. It was quite scary actually! But I must say, its one of the best shows I've ever watched, I would love to go through the journey again, but am afraid of losing too much sleep haha! I'm not too sure about the ending, there are so many unanswered questions and I recall reading on an official forum where the writers contributed, that they did in fact get a bit confused themselves and ended up summing it all up as the island being limbo and they were dead all along. I'm happy to say I've moved on and no longer question the intricate puzzles of Lost!! :D
  • michelleion
    michelleion Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Dude, I'm still in mourning.

The ending means that the writers lost track of what they were doing and tried to encompass too many ideas into one. Choose an ending you feel comfortable with. 'Cause the sing-songy garbage they tried to spit doesn't make sense. There's no right answer.

Seriously, that ending was almost as bad as "it was all a dream".

This is pretty much exactly my opinion too!
  • pacmanjack
    pacmanjack Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Ben Linus was awesome. The 2005 scene where he had Jack in the cell, and proved to him that he (Ben) had contact with the outside world by showing him the video clip of the Red Sox winning their first World Series in 86 years (which Jack had refused to believe) was probably my all-time favorite 60 seconds of prime-time network television. :smile:
  • Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    I stopped watching during season 3. Loved season 1.