Macros

Options
Does anyone know how to calculate macros to gain strength as well as lose body fat/weight? I'm looking for a good way to complete that calculation.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,976 Member
    Options
    Gaining strength is accomplished by eating enough food and by doing resistance exercises. The default macros are fine. 40/30/30 is also an easy one and gives a little more protein.

Losing body fat/weight means eating a little less than your body needs to maintain your current weight.

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with @cmriverside .

Also: Your macros can vary day-to-day. Doesn't need to be spot on.
  • Buff_Man
    Buff_Man Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Prioritise protein then add carbs and fats to suit. The total number of cals will determine how much weight you lose and how fast. If you're losing up to 2lbs a week that's fine.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Here's what I did.....

Protein at 1g per pound of estimated lean body mass - minimum, fine to exceed.
    Fat at 0.4 per pound of body weight - minimum, fine to exceed.
    Remainder of my variable calorie allowance once those minimums were met could come from carbs, protein or fat (but mostly carbs).
    I simply kept those two gram minimums in mind but TBH after a while I realised fat tended to look after itself so just needed to keep in mind the protein gram minimum goal. Very simple really.

Certain macros splits don't make you gain strength though so I think you mean macros to support your training? That's why a higher than usual protein allowance is normally recommended for people exercising seriously, as is a higher than average amount for people trying to lose weight.

If you want to lose weight your calorie allowance needs to be a small deficit. Smaller the deficit / slower the weight loss supports your training better.