What exercises should I do that don't target my shoulders to avoid getting broad or bigger shoulders

Options
So I have noticed that my shoulders are getting bigger from my new strength training routine, I only workout my arms for 2 times a week and with a 5 pound weight for 30 minutes. I don't like that my shoulders are getting bigger, also I am a female. What exercise should I do that don't target my shoulders but slim down my upper body?

Replies

• SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    If your torso is getting slimmer, your shoulders will appear wider in comparison. So if you want a slimmer torso, you may just have to live with this effect. As others have said it's unlikely your shoulders have got significantly bigger with a 5lb weight. The muscles may have become a bit more defined perhaps?
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Walking
  • clailah06
    clailah06 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    thanks guys, I think my waist has slimmed down making my shoulders appear larger
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I think, to rephrase it more reassuringly, perhaps you’ve skimmed in your waist or face, and your perception is rather that your shoulders are bigger.

A program you “just started” with smaller hand weights, is very unlikely to have had those results, in that short of a time.

Your proportions will change, sometimes startlingly, sometime gradually, and will change several times over the course of weight loss.

One thing I noticed during 90+ lost is that one part of my body would change shape, go soft, get cellulite-y, or even collapse days before something exciting happened. Your body is in a constant state of reorganization, and it is cray-zeeeee confusing.

Our brains play wierd tricks on us during loss. I’ve been beating my own self up lately a bit over my stomach “looking” larger, even though it’s been obvious my thighs and butt have slimmed. That made my stomach seem bigger by comparison now. Yet I was able to get into a pair of vintage jeans today I hadn’t been able to earlier. I certainly couldn’t have done that if my stomach had gotten bigger.

Are you taking progress photos? Are you measuring?

And, tbh, are you (like so many of us do) standing in front of the mirror over-critiquing yourself? Walk away, sister. Walk away.

When I first started weight lifting again I could have sworn my biceps were getting bigger, but I took measurements and in fact they were getting smaller due to me also losing weight.
  • karolinapr86
    karolinapr86 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    This thread is very helpful, thank you guys.