Recipe nutrition calculation question

Options
chrisholsman
chrisholsman Posts: 6 Member
I created a pancake recipe that contains a quart of buttermilk. The buttermilk has 1800mg sodium per quart. The recipe makes 30 pancakes. I would think this means 60mg sodium per pancake but the recipe is calculating 700mg per pancake. No other ingredient contains sodium. What am I missing? I'm on a low-salt diet to help reduce blood pressure so it's kind of important to me.

Replies

• goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Check the database entries you're using for your ingredients.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    Also, the number of servings is something you select when importing the recipe. Check what you selected.
  • chrisholsman
    Options
    I have checked the db and the ingredient is listed correctly. I created the recipe manually, no import, and compared db entries to that product containers. It's all accurate. So how can a recipe with a total of 1800mg sodium end up with 30 servings having 700mg each?
  • goal06082021
    Options
    Are you sure you made it 30 servings and not 3?
  • chrisholsman
    Options
    I found the issue. The baking soda I chose from the db listed 20,000mg sodium per teaspoon. According to the label it should be 1280mg. I'm new to recipe creation but I'll have to look more closely at the nutritional info in the db. Thanks.
  • goal06082021
    Options
    Glad you figured it out! Yeah, the database is only as good as your fellow users, if you're tracking micronutrients like sodium then you gotta triple check the database entry you're using to make sure it's accurate.