Best Protein Powder

Options
I am looking for the best protein powder for women who are 50 years old. There are so many options! How do you know which one to pick?

Replies

• corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Me, too.
    I just read an article that said whey was the best overall. Rated Isopure unflavored #1 for ingredients, etc, but recommended Promix when flavor and price were taken into consideration.

• glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,653 Member
    Options
    I figure liking the taste, being able to afford, agreeing with the amount of protein you get per calorie works. :)

And, of course, you're not allergic to any of the ingredients.

I like the Quest chocolate milkshake but they way over charge for it so moved to Body Fortress and Pure Protein.
  • drahow
    drahow Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    PHD Diet Whey for me at is right up there mixes easily and tastes good with just water
  • JeffMatchett
    JeffMatchett Posts: 43 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Age won't matter - it's all protein. If you're concerned you could check out https://labdoor.com/rankings/protein. They test an assortment of supplements and provide feedback on quality, adherence to label, etc.
  • I2k4
    I2k4 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    The industry has methodically created a chaos of ingredients, scoop sizes, grams per scoop, jar sizes, and photos of drugged fitness models on the labels. No shortage of experts, enthusiast influencers, and opinions, either. I've supplemented with 50 to 75 grams daily for half a decade, keeping muscle with exercise into declining years. My advice, trust but verify:
    1. If dairy is well tolerated, whey protein is more effective and complete protein.
    2. Whey is sold as higher percentage "isolate" and as "concentrate" or blend, with marginally nutritious cheaper extras. Subject to the following, it's all about grams per dollar - the greater purity of isolate doesn't repay the extra cost. If taken within an ordinary good diet, any whiz-bang nutrient formulations are also redundant.
    3. Along with calculated price the mixability and taste of various flavors and sweeteners can be important, less so if mixed into tasty shakes, yogurt, oatmeal, with fruit, nuts, etc. than if simply mixed into water.
    4. I take 5g of creatine separately - some whey blends include that, but with two or three servings that's 10g or 15g of creatine, not good.
    5. Having identified three or four decent blends, I shop sales that periodically reduce prices very dramatically, and buy in bulk.
    6. Compare the labels of "fitness" brands with drug store or supermarket generics: I've found exactly the same manufacturer, ingredients and nutrition data at half the price, sold with a store logo instead of a catchy well-known brand name.

(Being Canadian, won't suggest any names.)
  • dreamer182
    dreamer182 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Pescience powder for drinking, baking, adding to coffee, yogurt, oatmeal etc. It blends well and the taste is great. I use my friends discount code for 15% when I order. The code is SCRIPTS. I think my favorite flavor is snickerdoodle