New, age 70, want to live healthy

Options
Numbers don't matter, except the number on the scale and the BMI. I am overweight, have been through 3 surgeries in the past 9 months, one was lower back spinal fusion. I am trying to eat vegan with a non-vegan spouse who loves junk food. I do physical therapy exercises at home and walk on days it is not too hot, otherwise, I do stationary bike in the house. I want to feel good in the years I have left and to travel and be able to enjoy life. Yes, I am overweight and the weight does not budge one pound. I weigh daily, but don't let it discourage me from trying. I do my best to stay away from sweets and salty foods.

Replies

• corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Welcome! You’ve come to the right place.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    Hi, and welcome!

You've been through a lot, lately, it sounds like: Kudos to you for working at your health goals nonetheless.

I can empathize with the "mixed diets marriage" situation: I'm widowed now, but was vegetarian throughout my multi-decade marriage to a meat-eater and even hunter. I don't know whether love truly conquers all, but it helps negotiate some useful compromises, at least, I think.

I'm 65 now, but was able to lose weight with MFP when only a little younger, 59-60, after previous decades of overweight/obesity, and to stay at a healthy weight since. It can take some strategizing, and patience, but I found MFP to be a really helpful tool in the toolkit. Age is not a non-negotiable barrier, especially for someone with your obvious grit and determination.

Wishing you much success!