Restricted diet and getting bored

Options
I have an eating disorder called ARFID, or Avoidant Restricted Food intake Disorder which leaves me only able to eat a very narrow range of foods. I am receiving support with this but am wondering if anyone has any ideas or recipes that only use the foods I do eat, as my diet consists of the same few meals and it does get a bit boring. Saying
"why don't you add a bit of X?" or "swap X or Y" isn't helpful though as if there are any other ingredients at all, I will not be able to eat the dish.

I am able to eat / drink:
Konjac noodles
Cooked carrots
Cooked courgette
Cooked white onion
Heinz tomato soup
Hovis seeded sensations bread
Flora margarine
Walkers ready salted crisps
Marigold bouillon powder
Olive oil
Ribena
Small amounts of honey
Raw bell peppers
Tinned tomatoes
Brown rice
KitKats

The foods I am working to introduce, but am only able to eat tiny amounts of are:
Sweet potato
Red lentils
Pasta

Replies

• lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I am not a cook so I don’t know recipes. Aside from the lentils, I don’t see much protein. Have you tried protein powders or drinks? What kind of meals do you make? If you don’t already you could cook carrots and onion on stovetop and add to rice.
  • naomi9271
    naomi9271 Posts: 127 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Have you tried using squashing a packet of Walkers to use as breadcrumbs and making fried breaded zucchini?

Zucchini (corguette), onion and carrots sautéed and then added with a tin of tomatoes to some cooked red lentils (made with the boullion) and left a bit saucy (like dal or daal) would be my first answer. You could have that with the brown rice. Sautée the onions and carrots first, and after they’re a bit soft, add the courgette.

You don’t mention any spices, but Indian ones would be my choice with the above. The boullion will help a lot if you can’t have any spices.

I’m afraid both of my ideas are pretty ordinary and likely not anything new or novel. Congrats on your recent adds!
  • KelpieLass
    KelpieLass Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Carrots and onion are also great roasted

True. Coat your carrots in a little bit of honey before roasting them. OMG Delicious.

Also, restricted diet or not, Heinz tomato soup with a ready salted crisp sandwich is the official lunch of the Gods. :)

I hope the experiments with the new foods go well. The lentils in particular will make a huge difference in terms of protein content. And give you some more options.

• TwistedSassette
    TwistedSassette Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Have you made stuffed bell peppers? Normally you'd roast the pepper with the filling but you could cook the filling and serve it in a raw pepper too.
    I would saute onion, carrot, courgette, any other veg that you can handle, then add canned tomato and pre-cooked brown rice and cook it down, then pop into the pepper.
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Reading others suggestions sparked another thought.

Savoury crumble - chop the veg you like cooked and put into oven proof dish, breadcrumbs and flora or oil form the topping. Bake until the veg is done and its nice and crisp on top.
  • eliezalot
    eliezalot Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Are you able to do different herbs and spices? If so, that can dramatically change the flavor of the foods. Curry, italian seasoning, za'atar, could offer some variety.

How about different ways of cooking your veggies, especially roasted or grilled? Brush with olive oil, a sprinkle of salt, and ready to cook. Carrots might also be nice in a light honey glaze.

A minestrone based on what you can eat - veggie stock (from the boullion), onions, carrots, courgette, and tinned tomatoes. You could add a little pasta and/or into it as well.

Mujadara - essentially rice and lentils with caramelized onions. I've usually seen it with green lentils, but you could absolutely substitute red as well. It is really simple, but the caramelized onions add so much flavor. You can always start with mostly rice and onion, with just a spoonful of lentils, and build up from there.

Hope the new foods keep working for you!

• Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    I personally am not too creative with coming up with new combinations--I was on an elimination diet and the first week was rough! I think you've gotten a lot of great suggestions already. I'm glad that you are working with a professional on expanding your diet. I'm actually a pediatric SLP so sometimes work with kiddos with a variety of feeding disorders, with ARFID being one of them. I'm curious--what type of professional are you working with to expand your foods, and what has the approach been?
  • Viktoria2022
    Viktoria2022 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Are you/could you be comfortable with spices at all? Spicy tomato sauce (Moroccan style) is my go to recipe. I would roast all the veggies, and then add smoked paprika powder, chili powder, garlic, cumin powder, tumeric, tomato paste, canned tomatoes. Good luck!
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    There are some amazing suggestions here. Well done!