Plateau

Options
Brossja
Brossja Posts: 10 Member
Hello All,
I have been tracking my food and getting regular exercise for 83 days now. So far I have only lost 25 pounds. I am consuming nutritious foods and ensuring that my diet is balanced between carbs, fats, and protein. I am exercising 4 days per week for at least 40 minutes and I do a mix to create 'muscle confusion'.
This past Sunday when I weighed myself, I didn't loose anything. I did, however, lose an additional inch off my waist and hips. I knew going in this there would be plateau's but was just looking for inspiration or advise for others who may have experienced this.
Thanks

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    This is not a plateau. You lost inches. Also, you do not need to confuse your muscles. You will actually progress better by practicing the same exercises, but increasing the difficulty slightly over time. When was the last time you recalculated your calorie goal?
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    You've been losing 2 lbs per week - that's rather aggressive for most people. You may want to recalculate your calorie goal, setting it to lose 1lb per week instead. I say this not to break your plateau (because as DancingMoosie said, you haven't plateaued), but because you're likely to burn out if you keep trying to lose at this rate. If you're able to exercise that often and do anything to cause "muscle confusion" (which is also not a thing but you didn't ask about that), you aren't heavy enough to lose this fast for very much longer.
  • Brossja
    Options
    I haven't recalculated my calorie needs because I want to see from the beginning where I started. If I recalculate, don't I have to add my current weight as my 'starting weight'?
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Brossja wrote: »
    I haven't recalculated my calorie needs because I want to see from the beginning where I started. If I recalculate, don't I have to add my current weight as my 'starting weight'?

No, there's a spot for "current weight" as distinct from starting weight. MFP will remember your progress so far.
  • Brossja
    Options
    I'm also only consuming 1200 calories per day. I always thought you should never go below that amount.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    There is nothing 'only' about losing 25lbs in 83 days: 2lbs per week is very fast.

You need to be more patient, weight loss is not linear. A plateau is 6 weeks of no progress, you are nowhere near a plateau 😉
  • Brossja
    Options
    Thank you all for your comments. I went under the 'goals' section to try to recalculate my caloric needs but it wants me to change my starting weight. Where/how do I recalculate my daily caloric needs?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    I'm also only consuming 1200 calories per day. I always thought you should never go below that amount.

Unless someone is remarkably petite, very inactive, and probably non-young besides, 1200 is the lowest healthful goal for a woman, in order to get reasonable nutrition. That doesn't mean you can't go *above* 1200, and MFP intends you to eat your goal calories *plus* the additional calories from intentional exercise (because the activity level in your MFP profile should be based on pre-exercise activity, as MFP is designed).

At age 59-60 and at 5'5" tall, I lost most of 50+ pounds on 1400-1600 calories plus all exercise calories, so more like 1800-2000 eaten most days.

A wise MFP-er once said: She who loses weight on the most calories, wins. 😉
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,508 Member
    Options
    With so little eating (unless you're really petite), expect several stalls along the way.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Brossja
    Options
    When I first signed up with MFP and put in my goals, the system figured out the calories I should be consuming and the percentages of carbs, protein, and fat. I have been working with what the system as my guide.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    When I first signed up with MFP and put in my goals, the system figured out the calories I should be consuming and the percentages of carbs, protein, and fat. I have been working with what the system as my guide.

The system doesn't just assign calories out of Deep Wisdom like a knowing elder. It assigns calories based on the weight loss rate you tell it you want.

If you tell it you want to lose 2 pounds or 1 kg a week, when that's an unnecessarily fast rate, possibly even a dangerously fast rate, it will assign you too-low calories, though it stops at a lower limit of 1200 for women, 1500 for men. Those minimums can still be lower than is a sensible plan for an individual, depending on how much the person still needs to lose, how large they are currently, etc.

*You* select your weight loss rate, which implies a certain size calorie deficit, which implies a calorie goal. The minimums aren't always an adequate safety net.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,296 Member
    Options

How tall are you?
    I ask because I’m extremely sedentary due to disability. And I’m 5’8”
    And even I have a goal of 1300 calories a day. And I’m losing weight at the fastest rate my doctor is comfortable with (averaging 1.75 pounds a week)

• Brossja
    Options
    Hello Margaret. I am 5' 6" tall. I have lost and gained this weight back, this is now the 3rd attempt to keep it off. The mistakes I made in the past was after losing the weight, I quit using my food and exercise journal. This time I plan to continue using it for maintenance. The past 2 times I went through this, I averaged a loss of 2 pounds per week and 1200 calories per day and 4 days per week with exercise. I'm older now, so it is harder. I have a doctor appt. next week and plan to ask her what she thinks.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Hello Margaret. I am 5' 6" tall. I have lost and gained this weight back, this is now the 3rd attempt to keep it off. The mistakes I made in the past was after losing the weight, I quit using my food and exercise journal. This time I plan to continue using it for maintenance. The past 2 times I went through this, I averaged a loss of 2 pounds per week and 1200 calories per day and 4 days per week with exercise. I'm older now, so it is harder. I have a doctor appt. next week and plan to ask her what she thinks.

One thing to be aware of is that cumulative stress increases the possibility of water retention, which can gradually add a surprising bit of weight to the scale, hiding ongoing fat loss. Fast weight loss (big calorie deficit) is a physical stressor. New/increased exercise, or exercise resumed after a hiatus, is a physical stressor. Physical stresses from these diet-related factors are cumulative with any other sources of physical/psychological stress in our lives.

Your two-week stall could possibly be related to the cumulative stresses in your life, including diet, increasing water retention.

I don't know about others, but one of the things I notice as I age (I'm 65) is that my body is gradually less resilient to things like cumulative stress, that I see effects sooner, that it takes longer to bounce back once I recognize and correct an issue. It's not a huge difference so far as I've aged, but it's an observable difference.

I accidentally lost weight too fast (in the 2 pounds a week realm +/-) at age 59, eating at 1200 plus all exercise calories, got weak and fatigued, then it took some weeks to fully recover back to feeling normal. (I was lucky that nothing worse happened, other than maybe a little temporary hair thinning a few weeks later.)

I'm not saying that's a probability for you, because it turned out that I mysteriously have somewhat higher calorie requirements than my demographics would suggest. But considering whether your chosen weight loss rate is right for you, at this stage of life, is worth thinking through.

Something in the 0.5%-1% of current body weight per week range can be reasonable, with the lower side of that probably better if other parts of life are higher stress or resilience is a consideration, or if within 25-50 pounds of a reasonable goal weight. (Below 0.5% may even be better, for the last 10 pounds or so.) Maximizing health can require weight loss, but that's just one part of the balancing act.

Best wishes!
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,296 Member
    Options

Same, definitely the same.
    I had a good doctor. Got my thyroid under control finally. Got my weight from “I don’t even know because I stopped weighing myself, but size 24 pants were getting tight!” down to about 165.

And then some epic kitten happened. And I do mean epic. If I told people exactly how many weird stressful things happened to me between 2007/2010 people mostly would not believe me. Soap opera writers would tell me to tone it down.

If going through rough times makes you stronger, then I’m 100% pure adamantine.

Anyhow. Then the disability started creeping in. And the weight started to climb up again. Sigh.
    I wasn’t logging and I really should have been.

Anyhow, I’m back at it also. There’s lots of us rebounders. No shame in it.

But I won’t ever stop logging everything I eat ever again. Nope. Not worth the ease pretending it doesn’t matter.