Cheesy sweet filling goop?

Options
Wynnie
Wynnie Posts: 225 Member
I probably shouldn't be asking this on a public site with people who will hate me for putting the idea in their head, but I have a craving for one of those pastries that has the cheesy, sweet filling. I thought maybe I'd try to make it myself and see if I could make a lower calorie version, but am not even sure what to call that to look up the basic recipe. Does anyone out there know what I'm talking about and have a recipe for it?

Replies

• Wynnie
    Wynnie Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I probably shouldn't be asking this on a public site with people who will hate me for putting the idea in their head, but I have a craving for one of those pastries that has the cheesy, sweet filling. I thought maybe I'd try to make it myself and see if I could make a lower calorie version, but am not even sure what to call that to look up the basic recipe. Does anyone out there know what I'm talking about and have a recipe for it?
  • BxMom
    BxMom Posts: 363
    Options
    Yes I do know what your talking about but I don't have a receipe for you.

I make one but the filing for mine is guava and cream cheese. I use the pastry sheets found in the frozen foods section. You can fill them with just about anything.

Try checking the food network, allreceipe or cooks.com for filled pastries receipes.
  • mgullette
    mgullette Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    It's called a danish...
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    It's called a danish...

lol no its not ..its called "do not eat me"....instead have some cubes of cheese and grapes
  • bottledchaos
    Options
    You might be better of trying phyllo (you can control the fat in the pastry, it doesn't need a whole lot) instead of puff pastry, and a reduced fat ricotta, egg as binder, lemon zest, some splenda (or sweetener for baking) and vanilla. I've made version using three sheets of phyllo with a spoonful of the filling sealed into little pouches. (I used a tub of ricotta, mixed in a large egg, half a lemon's worth of zest, a tsp of vanilla and sweetener to taste. You can also spread with melted butter, in my head it seems like that would require more butter than just spraying. Cut the layers (all stacked together) into 3 or 4 inch squares, put a spoonful in each square and twist the top shut. Bake until golden and smell good.

Not a perfect danish, but if it's the filling you're after, that might do you.

I've also made fake "crepes" using egg whites, splenda, a tbs of flour or so and a splash of vanilla. I pour a thin layer of the egg white mixture into a large fry pan sprayed lightly with pam and cook them under the broiler. You could use those as a base for the filling, spread it on just as the eggs set, and broiler it a little more until the filling sets and then fold it up like a crepe. This is more of a theory than a recipe tho. I used to do it with a sort of savoury fat-free creme cheese filling, but never a sweet version. YMMV.
  • BxMom
    BxMom Posts: 363
    Options
    Thanks "bottledchaos" for the life of me I couldn't remember the name of the pastry sheets I use.

I use Phyllo sheets with guave and cream cheese
  • mgullette
    mgullette Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    It's called a danish...

lol no its not ..its called "do not eat me"....instead have some cubes of cheese and grapes

Haha Mya that's exactly what I was thinking...however I knew the name so I thought I'd throw it out there...