Zumba at home or at a class.....

Options
I have been going to Zumba at our local YMCA for a few months now, but due to them changing the hours a little bit and other things with kids school/activities and finding a babysitter that will watch them that late....I haven't made it to maybe 1 class per week.

With that said, I love Zumba, I hate to admit but if I pack my gym clothes then find out that I won't be able to make class that night, I shed a small tear, cause that's how much I enjoy it.

So with that said, I'm considering investing in the kinda pricey DVD set to do it at home. But I'm very afraid that if I do it at home then I'll find too many excuses not to do it, and I won't give it my all like I do in class.

Has anyone else had this dilemma? Did you successfully choose to do it at home and by successfully you actually do it and it works good for you. I know that spending that kind of money will be some motivation towards actually doing it, but wasn't sure if the DVD's are that different from an actual class.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Replies

• morganhccstudent724
    morganhccstudent724 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    It's not the same for me...I have to be in class. I know the person behind me is busting their *kitten* so I need to be too.
  • PBJunkie
    Options
    Best is to go to class as you will push yourself harder
  • AdrienneB33
    AdrienneB33 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I was also looking into the Zumba at home, but after watching the DVD a bit more online, and looking into it, I decided that the class is really what I need to put in the full effort and enjoy it.

I do other DVDs at home, but for me, Zumba is most enjoyable when doing it with a room full of people.

I don't know where you live, but there are some places that specialize in Zumba only and have their own studios, if the Y isn't meeting your needs schedule wise, maybe you can try to get into a studio?
  • FelizMi
    FelizMi Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I LOVE zumba as well, LOVE it, the music, the dancing! When I can’t get to class as often as I like, I will do it at home. But, before I found zumba and joined the YMCA, I used to work out at home on my own anyway, so it’s not a huge deal for me.

I don’t have the DVD, but I’ve downloaded a lot of the songs they have in class and I will just turn the music on and do the steps I remember, or sometimes make up my own, by myself in the living room. I find I don’t end up doing the whole 60 minutes, but I will end up doing arm and ab work, and will get close to between 45 and 60 minutes and get a good sweat. But I do like going to class better, I feel like I work harder to keep up with everyone else.

And there have been times where I’ve slacked off, but for me now, if I go too many days without a workout, whatever it is, I will start to feel physically ill, so that gets me back to it.

I also have zumba on Wii, but I don’t really like it.
  • Kazren
    Options
    I have never done the class but I do have the wii `game` and I love it I have a friend who comes over to do it with me so we motivate each other!
  • smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I first started out taking the class at our Y then our instructor had to stop teaching
    So I tried the dvd's & the Zumba Wii (both borrowed from a friend) to try but I discovered
    for me it wasn't the same. I need the instructor & the people next to me to push & motivate me.
  • ninababes
    Options
    I am that friend I think Kaz is talking about :)
  • hels4397
    hels4397 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'm an instructor, and I own the DVD box set (both the original and newly released Exhilarate). Honestly, your best bet is to go to class. If you do it at home, you can find excuses to not do it, or slack off. Going to class makes you want to put forth and exert 100% effort (even 80% on an off day) And if you can't make it to the one at the Y, find another class in the area. There are lots of instructors available, trust me. If you go to the ZUMBA homepage, and go to the "Find a class" link, you can enter your zip code and find the classes in your area that may better fit your time constraint. Also, keep in mind, not every instructor is the same, so if you try another instructor, and you're not a fan, don't give up - try someone new :)
  • HeatherR930
    HeatherR930 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else; you will not love the DVDs like you love the live class!!! My gym offers 4 classes per week & I make as many as I can. I hate it when I have to miss a class, so a coworker lent me her zumba DVDs to try. I tried them last night & I did NOT like it. The moves & music were both boring & I couldn't get into it AT ALL. It did not compare to a live class at all! I would check to see if you can find better class times to fit your schedule!
  • Tynkie
    Options
    Well I've never been to a live class so I don't have anything to compare to...but I have the first DVD set and enjoy it. I think its because I'm the opposite of other people. I've never been a fan of exercising in public so at home, I'm able to push my self harder to finish and work hard because no one else will lol

Try and find some clips online and see if that helps
  • Cheryl_Catrair
    Cheryl_Catrair Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I go to the Y as well and love doing Zumba there. If you can possibly work it in to your schedule, I'd keep going to the Y ...