Urg, ouch!

I am all for working out. I am actually starting to enjoy it! I work hard when I go to the gym because I hate the feeling of wasting my time there!! My fave things are doing the stair mill, walking uphill on high levels on the treadmill or jumping onto the Cross tread (like an armless elliptical).

Yesterday I worked out with a trainer (it was my first free training session that my gym offers to members). Keep in mind that I had a pretty major shoulder surgery on June 1 that I am still recovering from, so we didn't do anything majorly hard core....but I can barely move today. I HATE that feeling!! I can understand a little discomfort of working muscles...but I hate that I can barely walk or sit. I think that there has to be a limit to the no pain, no gain deal.

Lactic acid is the pitts.

Rant over.

Replies

• H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    if you start doing resistance training on a regular basis (i.e., 3x per week), the lactic acid response will susbside in after your 2nd or 3rd work-out of each muscle group (roughly 2 weeks). you can do it!
  • take a hot bath with some relaxing aromatherapy bath salts in and along with a rest and some pain killers i'm sure it'll pass, take it easy for today.
  • mabug01
    mabug01 Posts: 1,273 Member
    If you hurt that much, you had a bad trainer. If you continue with training, which I think is a great idea because of your injury, then ask the head trainer for someone who is experienced working with injuries, or just plain experienced. I wouldn't work with anyone who has less than 10 years of training experience. Oh, and I love they gym, too and I am a former gym-o-phobe.
  • morganhccstudent724
    morganhccstudent724 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Great job working it out!!!!

Drink lots of water today and keep it up =)
  • DOMS I can handle, those spinning seats does some severe damage to my crown jewels yesterday that I can hardly sit up straight at work today.

You can relieve some of the pain by alternating cold and warm water in the shower, of you are as lucky as I am you can have your significant other massager your legs with arnica oil.
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    I don't think that I have a bad trainer. She is actually a Physical Therapist (well, from her home country, she hasn't been certified here in the States) as well ~ which is why I set up with her so she can help me get back some of my range of motion in my shoulder (it is horribly lacking). I just haven't done squats and leg/butt work in forever and we did a good bit of that yesterday. Today I am just going to go for a nice, leisurely walk...no gym!! No squats!! I can barely sit down...lol. Thanks for the encouragement and tips!!
  • russelljclarke
    russelljclarke Posts: 836 Member
    Make sure you eat up your protein, and drink lots of water. Along with the other advice above, it'll help.
  • The first few times on a new resistance regiment will do that to you... or if you have taken a long break from weights. It does suck, and the second day is usually worse that the first, so do a low intensity warm up walking on the treadmill or something and then stretch. It will be uncomfortable till you get warm, but it will keep you from getting any stiffer.
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    I love that feeling. I work hard trying to get that, but I am just never sore anymore. I have recently started working with a trainer and she pushes me to my limits and shows me how to do the workouts properly, but I still just don't feel any pain. Maybe a little if I move just so, but not like in the beginning.
  • PAnn1
    PAnn1 Posts: 530 Member
    Take a hot shower concentrating on the worst of the sore muscles. Then just before you're ready to get out turn the shower to cold. It's a shocker, I know, but it will help and you will get used to the cold shock. I put my back out badly before I started on my journey and this is what I did. It helped alot. Then when I started exercising I had to do this at night for the first week or so so that I could sleep at night. Also remember to stretch after your workouts.
  • I love that feeling. I work hard trying to get that, but I am just never sore anymore. I have recently started working with a trainer and she pushes me to my limits and shows me how to do the workouts properly, but I still just don't feel any pain. Maybe a little if I move just so, but not like in the beginning.

You will only experience DOMS in the fairly beginning and when you start changing your roetine. Last week of every month I would drop sets and that is so brutal on my legs that I can't drive to work for days.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Good for you, and I wish you all the best in your recovery! I can't imagine that is easy at all.

Take some Advil or Aleve and REST, by all means! And make sure if you see that trainer or another trainer that you explain how sore you were. (I don't necessarily think it's because you had a bad trainer. S/he doesn't know how you feel unless you tell them.) It's one thing to feel it the next day, but it's another to not be able to move without pain. The latter sidelines me for way too long!
  • My yoga instructor told me once a hot, hot bath, a short walk the next day (some light streching after) and also a protein shake after a heavy work out will do wonders for you. The sooner you can consume the protein shake after a really heavy workout the better. I do all three when I know I'm gonna be hurtin and I find it works wonders. Remember if it hurts today its gonna hurt worse tomorrow so walk and strech now otherwise you are gonna be in agony tomorrow.
  • Do some cardio today and that will help. I know it feels like you can barely move, but once you get going you'll feel a lot better. I prefer running. In the future, do about 30 minutes of cardio after you lift, and you'll feel better the next day.
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Thanks for the input!! Much better today :)

I like the feeling of a little sore...not excruciating pain when you are just walking down the stairs in your home!! That is a little much ;0)