Weird question- muscles used while on crutches

Options
Okay, I know this question is about as odd as it gets but here goes! I hope to have foot surgery mid January. The surgery will require me to be non weight bearing for approximately 2.5 months and then I graduate to some sort of walking cast. I'll be on crutches or a knee scooter for that time.
Any suggestions on what types of exercises I can do now to help strengthen the muscles for using crutches? Ab work? Shoulders? Arms?
Thanks for any suggestions. I appreciate it!

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    When I was on crutches for 3 months (as a result of an accident rather than planned) my traps and triceps got really strong.

Borrow some crutches now perhaps? There's a big learning curve in terms of balance, being able to scoot up and down stairs on crutches got me out of hospital quicker.
  • boilerdawg2009
    boilerdawg2009 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend getting used to them ahead of time. You can consider it weight training!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,586 Member
    Options
    I'd be more concerned about the muscles you AREN'T using while on crutches because non used muscle atrophy. And if you're talking legs, that's not a good deal since eventually you'll have to walk again.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    My ankle replacement required 4 weeks without my foot being allowed to hit the floor followed by 8 weeks in a boot and crutches. My PT commented that my presurgery thigh and calf strength from swimming helped me immensely when I started PT.

I'd also recommend investing in an "Evenup" shoe leveller for the boot and crutches phase. Clomping around with one leg significantly shorter than the other is murder on the hips and back!
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 825 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Great suggestions! Thanks so much!
    I'll definitely practice using the crutches before the surgery. . . especially learning to navigate stairs.
    Unfortunately, I'll be completely nonweight bearing for 2-2.5 months. I am concerned about losing leg muscle during that time. However, I'll be in a hard cast so I'm not sure there's much I can do to prevent it then. I do hope to use upper body weights as allowed by my doctor.
    I plan on continuing to do cycling, strength training and yoga as much as possible up to my surgery in January. Hoping it will help offset any loss of muscle!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    fittocycle wrote: »
    I'll definitely practice using the crutches before the surgery. . . especially learning to navigate stairs.
    Unfortunately, I'll be completely nonweight bearing for 2-2.5 months. I am concerned about losing leg muscle during that time. However, I'll be in a hard cast so I'm not sure there's much I can do to prevent it then. I do hope to use upper body weights as allowed by my doctor.
    I plan on continuing to do cycling, strength training and yoga as much as possible up to my surgery in January. Hoping it will help offset any loss of muscle!

I had one leg flapping in the breeze for a similar length of time (couldn't touch the floor let alone bear any weight).
    Lost about 5 inches of quad circumference from my injured leg in that time (but with the caveat I started out with big quads). Your options for rehab should be larger than mine as my injuries were to my knee.

You can do non-weight bearing exercises such as straight leg lifts and possibly leg extensions but for me everything I managed to do was undone by a very unwise choice by my surgeons to put me on total bed rest to give my knee time to heal without me "pushing my rehab too hard".

Although you will inevitably have some muscle atrophy it does come back if you work at it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,586 Member
    Options
    You should be able to do some leg extensions and seated leg curls if the resistance is light to moderate since there is no weight bearing on your whole foot (most of the pressure is at the ankles). I did this with a client who had a broken foot and once the cast was off, their legs weren't as weak as they thought it would be.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Sorry no suggestions for exercise but advise taking things steady when on the move at least at first. I'm glad you can forward plan.

I needed crutches after I broke my ankle on holiday in the Peek District, included an airlift to the nearest hospital and return to accommodation by ambulance. I never have had a codriver even with the grandkids on board there's no other licence in this part of the family. That was a nightmare enough. The real trial was when we were rescued by two other family members on a companionate day off. On a 6 hour drive we stopped needing to use the facilities at a motorway service station, Able-bodied persons give you no quarter.

They thought they could play skittles with me, walking straight for me though I was keeping to my side of the walkway, ungainly as I was only with a couple of days experience, it was as if I had no right to be there. Obviously it was much easier for me to get out of their way, than they mine! My answer was to stand still till I got a series of gaps.

I hope you have a better experience than I had.
  • Onedaywriter
    Onedaywriter Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    When I was on crutches for 3 months (as a result of an accident rather than planned) my traps and triceps got really strong.

Borrow some crutches now perhaps? There's a big learning curve in terms of balance, being able to scoot up and down stairs on crutches got me out of hospital quicker.

This^^^.
    Famous athlete and founder of NCFit, Jason Kalipa attributes his super upper body strength to the fact that he was on crutches for a long time in high school. Says it gave him a super base to build upon. I just heard it in a podcast yesterday lol! Keep walking- a lot- with the crutches!
  • mom22dogs
    mom22dogs Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    It also depends on the type of crutches you will use. I assume you will use the underarm crutches, which are harder to use. I walk full time on forearm crutches and have extremely strong shoulders, arms, wrists and hands due to walking on them for almost 50 years.

Several years ago, I ended up bedridden for 5 weeks and they were worried about muscle atrophy in my arms, but I never lost the strength in my arms, it was my legs that lost all strength. I couldn't even take 10 steps when I started walking again because my legs were so weak. But I could still stand with my weight on my arms for 15+ minutes.

Your shoulders will probably gain a lot of muscle.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,572 Member
    Options
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    Sorry no suggestions for exercise but advise taking things steady when on the move at least at first. I'm glad you can forward plan.

I needed crutches after I broke my ankle on holiday in the Peek District, included an airlift to the nearest hospital and return to accommodation by ambulance. I never have had a codriver even with the grandkids on board there's no other licence in this part of the family. That was a nightmare enough. The real trial was when we were rescued by two other family members on a companionate day off. On a 6 hour drive we stopped needing to use the facilities at a motorway service station, Able-bodied persons give you no quarter.

They thought they could play skittles with me, walking straight for me though I was keeping to my side of the walkway, ungainly as I was only with a couple of days experience, it was as if I had no right to be there. Obviously it was much easier for me to get out of their way, than they mine! My answer was to stand still till I got a series of gaps.

I hope you have a better experience than I had.

I can confirm the ableds not moving out of the way when a person ambulating with crutches or canes is in their path.
    And I can confirm the best way to deal with it is to stand still until they get past you.
    Yes, it takes longer. And is annoying.
    But they truly have zero understanding.

People who have never had to use an ambulatory aid just don’t think at all about how where they’re walking might intersect with someone who can’t easily deviate from their path. And it’s better in the moment to look out for your own safety.
    So. When someone is heading directly towards you? Just hold still until they pass.
  • jamcnewman
    jamcnewman Posts: 4,107 Member
    Options
    Okay, I know this question is about as odd as it gets but here goes! I hope to have foot surgery mid January. The surgery will require me to be non weight bearing for approximately 2.5 months and then I graduate to some sort of walking cast. I'll be on crutches or a knee scooter for that time.
    Any suggestions on what types of exercises I can do now to help strengthen the muscles for using crutches? Ab work? Shoulders? Arms?
    Thanks for any suggestions. I appreciate it!

Not an odd question at all, in my view! As a result of an accident (after speed swimming!) I had five surgeries that ended with an ankle fusion and the further surgery to remove that hardware. In total, I was 49 weeks non load bearing on my right leg (over three years). More time than that added for walking boot casts, re-learning to walk twice, etc. You are really smart to be asking this now.

When I had the accident and the first surgery the following morning, I got great advice from a technician in the cast clinic before I was discharged from the hospital: focus on keeping as much muscle mass and flexibility in your upper leg. Don’t ignore your hip flexors.

I used forearm crutches and can’t recommend them highly enough. The underarm crutches were misery for me as I have severe rheumatoid arthritis and my hands can be in flare from little to no stress. I also had a knee scooter once the swelling was down enough to be able to keep my leg in the needed position.

I sought out some advice from a Physiotherapist and she referred me to exercises and I found some of them online and have copied and pasted from
    https://www.sharecare.com/health/surgical-procedures/exercises-prior-to-foot-surgery
    below (as these are very similar to what she assigned). My surgeon and physio were all amazed that I kept as much muscle mass as I was able to through all of this, and it sped up my healing tremendously each time (really good circulation from exercise and muscle mass).

Copied text
    Since the ankle is part of the lower extremity's kinetic chain, working on the hip flexors, extensors, hamstrings and calf muscles is advisable to maintain conditioning of the lower extremity. Here are some exercises you can work on:

Hips (extensors, flexors, abductors): Leg lifts

Front: Start by lying on your back, bend one knee and keep foot against the table; straighten the leg of the side your exercising and keep the toes pointed toward the head; keep the leg straight and raise it so it is parallel with the bent knee; repeat for a set of 3; do 10 reps.
    Sides: Turn your body to the side, the bottom leg is bent, the leg your exercising is straight; raise leg so it's parallel with the ground; keep toes pointed toward the head; do 3 sets of 10 reps; repeat on the other side.
    Flip onto your belly: For ease, keep your knee bent; raise up toward the ceiling; repeat on the other leg; do 3 sets of 10 reps.

Knee (hamstrings): Heel slides

Sit on a flat surface with your leg out
    Put a towel under your foot
    Slide your foot toward your butt
    Repeat on the other leg
    Do 3 sets of 10 reps

Calves: Ankle pumps
    This exercise is done to prevent clots from forming in the lower leg (depending on our surgery; you may be non-weight-bearing after surgery)

Try keeping the knee straight, pull the toes toward the head then point them away
    Repeat at a moderate pace
    Repeat on opposite side
    Do 3 sets of 10 reps

Tricep: Push downs
    (This exercise is to strengthen the triceps for the use of crutches if you are non-weight-bearing)

Lean against a bench or a table
    Keep your elbows close to your body and push away and straighten the arms and squeeze the triceps and lower the body down toward the table
    Do 3 sets of 10 reps

Wishing you well!

Most of all, keep looking forward, as there are some harder days in all of this.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

I had ankle repair for 3 months, slowly having weight and range of motion added.

If you have access to weight machines like I did, from the start, leg curl and extension machine could be done - didn't touch the ankle. Kept the same working weight between legs easy enough.
    I could see a pad resting on the cast, but those muscles just don't cross the ankle to the foot. Well, unless you totally doing the form wrong and focusing on engaging the wrong muscles I suppose.

Calf lost some mass, but as I was given weight limits and range to move, used a sled with that weight, and the boot gave the range, and kept it up with lots of reps.
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the wonderful suggestions and exercises. I can't tell you how much your encouragement means to me. I"m a pretty active person so the thought of being out of workouts for 3 months or so is tough! I'm trying to add more strength training now as well as more cycling outdoors before the weather brings me inside.
    Love the ideas for strengthening my legs and I plan to incorporate those moves into my workouts. Thanks so much!