Bride-to-be in crises!

Options
Hi everyone, newbie here. I've tried going at this on my own with no real results, and in the end worse off than when I started!
One year ago I joined Curves to lose the baby fat and gain back my muscle lost to the pregnancy. Well after 12 months now of hard work all I've gained is weight from muscle with very little fat loss. Of course dieting is my worst problem because I love food! I can work out all day long no problem because I love pushing my body, but mainly its all strength training. So my dilemma is this:
When I bought my wedding dress in February I had no muscle in my back and my dress fit snug. Now I've gained a good amount of muscle and the dress does not do up nicely! I've quit Curves and only do at home cardio workouts of elliptical training and belly dancing, and am now counting calories with my daily intake around 1500. Its only day 5 of this new radical routine and I do not own a weight scale. My wedding is November 5th and I'm so worried I won't slim down the muscles and lose a little back fat by then. Does anyone have any helpful suggestions? Am I doing enough? My goal is to work out at least 30 minutes a day of cardio (not intense as I do not wish to gain more muscle) as well as stretching everyday. Oh and I drink my 8 glasses of water a day too. I've noticed that's helped big time in making me feel better and digest better. If you've read all this I truly appreciate it! Everyone is welcome to add me to your friends list... we all need good support :happy:

Replies

• Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    congrats on the wedding! I'd up the time you're exercising, cardio won't make you "gain" muscle, cardio is the best/only way to slim down. muscle helps you burn fat all day, even when working out, so I'm not sure all the gains are muscle, but if you watch your calories, drink your water, and get your heart pumping you will see a difference. If you don't have a scale, maybe you can grab a tape measure and track your progress that way? beats pulling out the dress every five days to try it on ;) good luck..........
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    If you were overeating, you probably gained a lot of fat, not just muscle. Your first step is being honest with yourself.

Watch your calories and burn the fat and you should be able to get back into that dress.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    November is right around the corner. If you stick to your goals you will lose. Congratulations and good luck.:flowerforyou:
  • jessicaklessig
    jessicaklessig Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    do you eat alot of refined sugars and carbs? If you cut out some of your sugar and fats and increase protein a little you may see results. This was also my mistake I have a real sugar tooth. In 1 week of cutting out SOME of my carbs , eating healthy carbs and less refined foods I have lost a total of 4 lbs .
  • Pril2000
    Pril2000 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    When I started exercising, I didn't see any change in the scale and I barely saw any change in my body. I definitely gained muscle before I dropped the fat.

I'll tell you that what really turned it around for me was using a personal trainer at my gym. It was a little costly, but I only really saw her for about 3-4 months about 1-2 days a week. I did 30 minute sessions. I still did my cardio and some boxing classes, but I tell you, I started seeing inches come off. That's what you will need. You want to keep the muscle, because it will help you burn the fat, but you want to lose inches so you can fit into your dress.

I recommend, if you can afford it comfortably, to see if there is a personal trainer at the Curves or a nearby gym that can see you 1-2 times a week for the next month. Not only will they push you harder than you can push yourself, but even after you stop seeing them, you can still do the exercises and keep yourself looking good. I still use some of the moves I learned with my trainer and I haven't seen her since last year. I even dropped my gym and started working out at home.

Good luck!!
  • TheShelterCat
    Options
    I would definitely increase your cardio minutes/day and really get strict about logging what you eat so you can see how much fat/carbs/sugar etc. you're taking in. Congrats and good luck!
  • TheShelterCat
    Options
    I would definitely increase your cardio minutes/day and really get strict about logging what you eat so you can see how much fat/carbs/sugar etc. you're taking in. Congrats and good luck!
  • tikikris
    tikikris Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Try eliminating all soda--even diet--and coffee. No artificial sweeteners. If you must sweeten, use stevia. Work up to 45 minutes of cardio daily.
  • c7eat2live
    c7eat2live Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    For me, building muscle is the only way TO burn fat. Each pound of muscle, at rest, burns more calories than a pound of fat. Plus you get the benefits of muscle repair also costing your body calories to engage in. Also for me, when eating at a deficit (I eat 1300) and doing cardio every day 30-60 mins (pretty intensly) and strength training three times a week, thats when I start to see the scale move down, even though I am building muscle. I agree with the other posters, it is time for you to make some tough choices, cutting down on sugars and processed foods and upping the protein, veggies and whole grains is key. You have time, and you are motivated, so I know you will get to your goal! I would just urger you to not be so worried about building muscle. As women, its pretty darn hard, especially while eating a deficit to "bulk up"
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    If you were overeating, you probably gained a lot of fat, not just muscle. Your first step is being honest with yourself.

Watch your calories and burn the fat and you should be able to get back into that dress.

This.

You really, Really, REALLY need to get doing cardio. If you want to lose weight, there is some steps to take.

1. Cardio. 3+ times a week.

2. Track your food. Accurately. Use a scale and measuring cups.

3. Strength training. This is VERY important. Women usually don't do enough of this. Lean muscle mass does a couple of things: Burns more calories just to maintain, helps your body all around strengthen, and allows you to develop that lean, athletic aesthetically pleasing look.

4. Change WHAT you eat. Choose healthier choices. Eating too much carbs makes you crave more carbs. Eating lean protein like chicken and fish, and healthy fats like avacado reduce your feelings of hunger and make you feel full.

5. ALWAYS, and I mean ALWAYS prepare your own food when you are first starting out. Bring healthy snacks with you, like nonfat yogurt, veggies, and lean meats. This helps you resist going to the vending machine and getting that bag of chips, or going out to eat with coworkers and eating 1600 calories in a single meal.
  • spitfire1962
    spitfire1962 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I would have to say just look at your food diary and see if you are making the right choices and cut back. Keep up the cardio. Weight training won't make you fat, it helps you lose inches. If you can't fit the dress, make the dress fit you, have them let it out if you don't get to your goal size by November. You don't need the additional stress of worrying about getting into it. Just like your marriage, your health and fitness is a lifelong process. Don't try any fad diets or weight loss pills or gimmicks. I wish you the best on your journey.
  • JaydeSkye
    JaydeSkye Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Its September and you're getting married in a month. I'd tell you to eliminate as much sugars and starches as possible from your diet and start running in addition to whatever you're currently doing. You've got about 4-6 weeks before you need to squeeze into a dress, make these last few weeks count because you'll be looking at that photo/video FOREVER !
  • Melissa110682
    Options
    I think you are doing the right thing with the cardio I would definately cut back on doing heavy weights or anything of the like but do not cut out your strength training. (very) Light weights and many repetitions will not cause you to put on mass amounts of muscle but will help to burn fat especially in problem areas.
  • nikkiverdon
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all the support and suggestions! I'm happy to report, after borrowing my neighbor's scale, I've lost 2.5 lbs in the 5 days of dedication! I'm sure most of it is from retaining water since I didn't drink much before, but its still progress and gives me a little more motivation to keep at it! :happy:
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    what I've "learned" from body-builders, {the one's I have asked on myfitnesspal} they say that you-cannot gain any serious amount of muscle eating with a calories deficit, and even if you were not eating on a calorie deficit then you said you eat quite a bit. I am not sure if that is mainly junk food, but you probably gained fat, not just muscle, but I'm sure you do feel stronger because of the strength training. long story short, change what you know is wrong. I'd say work on drinking even more water {even though you drink 8, but just a little more}. weigh yourself on someone else's scale if you want to know your weight, having your own scale will make you crazy, lol. eat your fruits/veggies/get enough sleep. maybe take a vitamin, which is all good for overall health.

exercise wise, I'd say to stop doing the heavy strength for a little bit, and get a dvd like ripped in 30days. It's one of the more intense Jillian Michael's dvd's you can get. and IDK what size weights you have, but the thing I like about her is that you don't have to have wimpy 3 pound weights, use 10, 15, 20 even if that's what you can handle and you will still be getting the mix of cardio and strength all in one workout.

But really, diet is so key just get that on track you should be good. remember it's better to eat 1500 calories of the "healthy" stuff than 1500 of snicker bars {that was one interesting test-study/diet though, lol} google if I just confused you.

Good luck, and if all else fails, just get your dress re-sized. Your fiance will love you either way, and hopefully all the people you invited to this special day won't care.
  • LisaLove240786
    LisaLove240786 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi, They say muscle weighs less than fat. in your case i would up the cardio training and go jogging 3/4 times a week for around 15mins, thats guaranteed to help... wish you all the luck
  • nikkiverdon
    Options
    Especially in the chillier weather I have a hard time breathing outdoors combined with running. Thankfully I have no problems on my elliptical and I love using it! There's controversy over which weighs more when it comes to fat vs muscle, but a pound of feather weighs the same as a pound of bricks. If we take MMA fighters for example- a lot of them do not look like they weigh what they do in the weight class they are in because they are lean, but muscular. Something to think about anyways.