Your first 5k!

Options
For those of you who have successfully completed a 5k, what was your time? I am about to run my first one in a couple weeks, and was hoping for a ballpark figure to aim for.

Thanks everyone!

Replies

• summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    For my first official, it was 36 minutes, and a few seconds. I forget exactly.
  • Not sure if this site will help... My girlfriend told me about it... you may already know of it... I want to get better at jogging and have taken interest in jogging a 5K... Not sure about time... For me just to finish would be great... I'd probably walk most the way!!! LOL

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • maryloo2011
    Options
    Came across this about 20 minutes ago, hope it helps... good luck!!

http://www.bx3.com/phil/tri/treadmill-cheatsheet.pdf
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    my first 5k street race: 24:49
    My first cross country meet 5k: 23:33
  • How long does it take you to run it now?
  • PatientBearTiger
    Options
    My first one was 29 minutes and change. Now, my best time is 26:50. Good luck and have a blast!!!
  • maryloo2011
    Options

WOW that seems so fast to me! I still run at about a 10/11 minute pace, which feels pretty slow (hope to get my speed up over the next few months...) Great work. :)
  • barbiex3
    Options

WOW that seems so fast to me! I still run at about a 10/11 minute pace, which feels pretty slow (hope to get my speed up over the next few months...) Great work. :)

lol thanks. I'm below average on my team. Most of the good girls run it in a 20:30 or less. :o ! I hope to get there someday
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    My first official 5K time was 29:11 (May 2010).
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I haven't run a full 5k yet, but I average around 12 min per mile. I have just worked my way up to 2.5 miles, but I should be up to 3.1 by race day.

I am hoping to do it in around 39 minutes....but I will just be happy to finish!
  • barbiex3
    Options
    I haven't run a full 5k yet, but I average around 12 min per mile. I have just worked my way up to 2.5 miles, but I should be up to 3.1 by race day.

I am hoping to do it in around 39 minutes....but I will just be happy to finish!

with a 12 min mile average you should be able to do it in under 38 min. But really, it is your first race, and it should be all about having fun and enjoying it!
    My advice to you is to start out slow! DO NOT go out fast at all. Start out at a slow pace because 3.1 miles is a longg way to go if you are only used to 2.5...

Remember to have fun =] !
  • Kimbie500
    Kimbie500 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    My first was Saturday. 37:34. Thrilled!!

My stated goal was to finish. My fastest time previous to the race was around 41 min. My "top secret, didn't tell anyone but the DH" goal was under 40.

It was a lot of fun. Enjoy yours!
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    my first (June) 37:53
    my second (August) 34:04

no matter what your time is...don't forget to have fun!
  • LisaCFSF
    LisaCFSF Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Walked my first one with my best friend, "Chloemorgan37", in Oct 2010 for Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure (Breast Cancer Research-a passion of ours): not exactly sure, but around 45-48 min. I'll have to look up our time.

Interval walked/jogged (2 min/1 min) the next one again with my best friend (she's very inspirational) who happened to be about 4 months pregnant at the time and I had a torn meniscus (knee) in March 2011 for the Rumpshaker 5K (Colon Cancer Research-my hero/my dad is a survivor) in 46:01.

Pretty much walked the last one (3 weeks after I had rotator cuff surgery) while my boys ran (great to have them with me even though they had much better times :wink: ) for the Woodstock 5K to raise money for United Cerebral Palsy. My time was 50:45.

Even though my times are "nothing to brag about", I feel like these were major accomplishments! Just having 2 separate shoulder surgeries in two months (14 Jun 11/rotator cuff repair & 16 Aug 11/AC joint reconstruction using hamstring tendons from my leg to rebuild my right shoulder) has been a major set back but I hope to eventually be able to do one in under 30 min. The most important thing is not the time that you finish in, but just getting out there and doing it!!!! Good Luck & Have Fun!!!
  • sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    bump
    planning on entering one soon!
  • hjy319
    hjy319 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I did a half run/ half walk for my 1st one I was at 45:54, I am still building to running whole thing :)
  • tastigger
    Options
    Great to hear various times. My first will be 10/15 & my goal is to finish. :)
  • AmyW125
    AmyW125 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    My 1st was 36.28
    My 2nd was 33.18
  • Gwooh
    Gwooh Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    We ran maybe 1.5 miles of the race and walked the rest....40mins.
  • carrie1128
    carrie1128 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    There are people at all different fitness levels doing 5Ks. Aim for YOUR best! Good luck. My best times are always during the race because it is so motivating just to be there and I push myself harder.