Easy Ideas to "Spruce Up" Tuna?

Options

Replies

• missmotta13
    missmotta13 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I love adding a bunch of finely diced veggies:
    Red onion, red bell pepper, shredded carrots, pickles, and occasionally swapping out the mayo for lemon juice/extra virgin olive oil. Dill, black pepper, Spike or Bragg's Seasoning. If it seems like you've almost got more veggies than tuna, you're on the right track. Haha.
  • debedebe
    debedebe Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Add 4 mashed hard boiled eggs, green pepper and onion chopped, grated light cheddar cheese to the tuna and mayo. Put in a bun and heat to melt cheese. They're called "Bumsteads" in my neck of the woods.
  • BuddhaBunnyFTW
    BuddhaBunnyFTW Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    tuna nicoise!
  • brittanystebbins95
    brittanystebbins95 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I really like to add chopped onion and chopped cucumber to mine, sometimes with avocado or dill.
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    janetennet wrote: »
    I buy a 'rainbow' slaw pack from my local grocer - it has purple & green cabbage, carrots, beetroot, spinach and some mixed herbs (corriander/ parsley). I make my tuna mayo and then mix that into the slaw pack, with crumbled feta on top - it is fabulous! So filling (I have about 100g of the slaw mix), good for you and leaves me feeling satisfied.

@janetennet - I have to try this!
  • MichelleMcKeeRN
    MichelleMcKeeRN Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Olive oil and whatever pre-mixed seasoning sounds good. I sometimes add pickles, celery, avocado. I don’t eat it on bread these days
  • tawanda6329
    tawanda6329 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Tuna, mayo, boiled egg, sugar
  • NinaMorgan27
    NinaMorgan27 Posts: 8 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    I'd definitely add some diced veggies in there for the crunch, my go to is red onion and celery. Capers or olives for the salt, and seasoned with mustard, garlic powder, smoked paprika.
    Lately I've been making tuna salad with basil, tomatoes and olive oil instead of mayo because they're in season for me :)
  • ljashley1952
    ljashley1952 Posts: 273 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    I do an old WW recipe that is very easy and low carb. Take a small can of tuna, chop up an apple, slice a stalk of celery, add mayo. That's it! You can also add a few sliced grapes, shredded lettuce, or whatever else you want. I do this when I'm in a hurry and want something very simple.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,886 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Eat it raw with some sweet vinegar rice and seaweed.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I was just going to say raw lol. Raw cubed/diced bluefin or yellow tail with avocado, cilantro, diced cucumber and lime.
  • xPOLENx
    xPOLENx Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I’ve always put a good amount of relish in my tuna with light mayo toast that bread and have a couple veggie chips
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,986 Member
    Options
    Never thought of sprucing up tuna...rather, we use tuna to spruce up other things. For example:

1 box mac 'n cheese
    1 can tuna
    1 can peas
    1 can diced tomatoes (flavored or not)

Prep the mac as directed, stir in the rest. All your food groups covered in one pot, very colorful, very flavorful, and a complete meal in under 15 minutes. Boom.
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I decided to bump up my protein this week with some tuna-and-cottage-cheese breakfasts. I DIY'd some flavored tuna packets with my vacuum food sealer for the week, then put some cottage cheese in a bowl and topped it with a packet of tuna and a handful of quartered cherry tomatoes.

* Everything But the Bagel (EBTB; onion powder, garlic powder, poppy seeds, sesame seeds) - excellent, although poppyseeds do tend to get stuck in one's teeth.
    * Vaguely-Asian Spicy (garlic, ginger, red pepper flakes) - a little dry, this would probably be better with fresh garlic/ginger paste and sriracha or gochujang, but still great flavor.
    * Cincinnati Chili (chile powder, cinnamon, cumin, cloves, allspice) - if you like Cincinnati-style chili, you will like this.
    * Dill and capers - good, a splash of the caper brine helped season/moisten it
    * Tajin - also good, canned/frozen corn would probably add to the "elotes" vibe
  • debbiehoughtonevans
    Options
    Have you tried sweet potato and tuna patties? Easy to make and last in the fridge for a couple of days. Recipe easily found on search engine. Firm favourite in our family. Often have with veggie rice and peas or can be eaten cold with salad/as snack.

Ingredients
    2 medium sweet potatoes (approx 600g/21oz)
    ½ red pepper, finely chopped
    ½ red onion, finely chopped
    3 eggs
    1 tsp of salt
    ½ tsp of black pepper
    2 cans (280g) of tuna
    1 small zucchini, grated
    fresh chopped parsley
    spray oil
    Method
    Pierce sweet potato with a fork and microwave for approx 8 mins till slightly soft. Cut in half, scoop out flesh and roughly mash in a large bowl (If you prefer, you can steam in a steamer until fork tender)
    Preheat oven to 200c or 400f (gas mark 6)
    While the sweet potato cools down, Spray a frying pan over a medium heat with some spray oil. Saute the onion to soften, stir in the red pepper and zucchini and just fry for couple of mins.
    Add this to the sweet potato, along with the tuna, salt, pepper, eggs and fresh chopped parsley.
    Combine all ingredients together.
    Line a baking tray with some parchment paper, form the mixture into equal sized patties, place on tray and bake in the oven for approx 35 mins till edges are golden and patties are firm.
    Serve with your choice of sides and a dipping sauce of your choice.
  • Kgerber777
    Kgerber777 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Sliced cucumber topped with tuna and a drop of sriracha!
  • Brin1956
    Brin1956 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    ehju0901 wrote: »
    So I bought some tuna and mayo with some pita bread to have as an easy meal that's not too high in calories, but now it just sounds bland and I'm not in the mood for it.

I was thinking of going back to the store and buying some chipotle mayo or something to give it a little more flavor but I'm also curious on what you guys do? Looking for super little prep time ideas!

I always seem to add Olives to get the little salt and flavour I like. You can try adding fennel or a little honey or balsamic vinegar. Add your favorite hot pepper or chili If you like cottage cheese instead of mayo.

• sarah7591
    sarah7591 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I add avacado mayo,onion and banana peppers.
  • lynnehbtravis
    lynnehbtravis Posts: 3 Member
    edited September 2021
    Options
    I add capers (0 calories!) to my tuna and I'm going to try some of the ideas on this discussion now!
  • casillasrocio99
    casillasrocio99 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    tuna ceviche, 1 can of tuna, drain well, 1 diced tomato, 1/2 onion or less, 1/2 of diced cucumbers, 4 tbsp chopped cilantro, 1/2 diced jalapeño, juice of 1 lemon, salt and pepper, mix well until all the ingredients blend and enjoy with air fried tostadas or store bought tostadas.
  • mehshell420
    mehshell420 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    A few months back, I made tuna-artichoke salad. Spinach, red bell pepper, canned Artichoke hearts, garlic, tuna, olive oil, and lemon juice. Very refreshing!