Help...Protein Powder to help with weight loss

Options
Hello everyone,

I was hoping to get some feedback from MFP : )

What protein powder do you recommend to assist with weight loss? How many shakes a day? Should they be used as meal replacements? Just looking to gather some information and any assistance would be great.

Thanks everyone!!!!

Replies

• TMcBooty
    TMcBooty Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    optimum nutrition
  • Bugsyzgrl
    Bugsyzgrl Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I happened across a shake called Safety Slim at my local GNC. It looks like GNC may no longer carry the product (it was on clearance) but you can still purchase from the company's website (www.safelyslimmer.com). They have 20g of Protein and 10g of Fiber, both of which my trainer said are very important. More importantly, they only have 1g of sugar. They have a chocolate and vanilla flavor that my kids and I LOVE!!! And they easily mix into water.

I love them!
  • CoCoMa
    CoCoMa Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    JRobb Whey powder. It doesn't contain artificial sweeteners or other additive crap. As far as meal replacements, it's up to you. It may be beneficial to consume a shake right before a workout.
  • Tishaboo5
    Options
    Yes...the SO is obsessed with these! I am a petite framed woman and really want to find one that won't bulk me up but will really make it easier to be full especially during my workouts. All the ones I've seen seem to bulk you up and not necessarily help you LOSE weight. I can't walk around with rocks in my arms :) Help!
  • KateHubb
    KateHubb Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I'm using the Herbalife Personalized Protien Powder and I just put two spoonfuls into my GNC Lean Shake every morning. Each spoonful is about 5g of protien.
  • Carrie704
    Options
    i like dymatize iso-100 since it is very low calorie and almost no carbs
    i always take protein after my workouts
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I use Optimum Nutrition (ON) 100% Whey Gold Standard. Good stuff. I usually just do 1 shake a day after my workout, but sometimes 2. I like it mixed with almond milk. If using it as meal replacement I would recommend making a smoothie in the blender with ice, milk, peanut butter, fruit, etc. Amazon has great prices on ON protein powders.
  • lanie25
    Options
    Metagenics UltraMeal---15g protein, 150 calories. I usually throw some strawberries and half a banana into the natural dutch chocolate flavor, tastes like a DQ Blizzard to me!
  • mialsya
    mialsya Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

I was hoping to get some feedback from MFP : )

What protein powder do you recommend to assist with weight loss? How many shakes a day? Should they be used as meal replacements? Just looking to gather some information and any assistance would be great.

Thanks everyone!!!!

I use Reclaim Smart Smoothie from Complete Nutrition and will use it as my breakfast smoothie and then usually go walking or do some kind of small workout in the morning (my big workouts are in the evenings, like Zumba class or going to the gym). There are many flavors, they are only 120 calories per scoop (1 scoop per shake), 1g sugar, great nutritional values, and taste delicious. You can also mix them with basically anything - even water - and they still taste great. I have the chocolate, vanilla, and mochaccino. I switched from SlimFast to this and it's really helped me a lot. They are also only about $40 for a month supply (1 shake a day), so it's cheaper than SlimFast too and you can mix up your flavors and control your calories consumed by adding mix-ins like fruit or various kinds of milk.
  • Damnyoureyes
    Options
    Hi - I don't recommend a regular protein shake for weight loss. Most of the products on the market today are produced using whey protein which is derived from cheese. The human body does not need this and in fact it's quite bad for your health. Whey protein contains a lot of saturated fat which is terrible for your heart.
    There is a line of products called Juice Plus which is derived from 17 fruits, vegetables and grains - it's a whole food supplement but not a replacement for eating your fruits and veg. I can honestly say that since I started using Juice Plus I feel so much better because my body is getting the nutrition it vitally needs. What you might be interested in is their Complete shake line. It comes in 2 flavors - Dutch Chocolate and Vanilla and are far superior for your health than any cheap meal replacement on the market today. If you'd like more information I would be happy to give it to you. I personally drink 8oz of the chocolate every day after my workouts because it's vital for your body to receive a large amount of protein within 45 minutes of a workout to rebuild the muscles you just ripped. This helps to rebuild the lean muscle and rid it of the fat. There are days when I also drink the shake as a breakfast meal or sometimes just as a snack when I'm craving something sweet.
    Let me know if you want to know more, I'm happy to spread the word because I think this product is absolutely amazing! And best of luck to you on your weight loss journey. It can be difficult and very discouraging but if you keep your head up, think positive and make healthy lifestyle choices you're going to reach your goal. :)
    Take care and Be blessed!
    Rhea
  • 7destiny
    Options
    I like a shake in the morning as a meal replacement. I am currently using Collagen Sport..123 calories, 30 mg protein, nothing artificial. The collagen peptides are for recovery after excercise, but also great for hair, skin and nails!
  • CoachSandy
    CoachSandy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I use an Herbalife Meal Replacement Shake with their Protein Drink Mix. 200 calories, 17-24 grams of isolated soy protein (1-2 scoops). 24 vitamins & minerals. I am getting great nutrition, feel full & satisfied and have great energy. And they don't have that powdery protein taste....I think they are delicious. I love the vanilla flavor and add frozen fruit (cherries or blueberries with almond extract or almonds) for a cherry-almond or blueberry-almond shake...Yum! Lots of options so you don't get bored. I replace two meals with the shakes, eat a colorful meal and healthy snacks. I've lost 42 pounds, 30 inches and I feel AMAZING!!!
  • Superman1360
    Options
    Hello,

I like the Trader Darwin's (from Trader Joe's) Vanilla Flavored Soy Protein Powder. It has 120 cals, 1.5 g fat, 1g carb, and 25 g of Protein. At my Trader Joe's it costs $14.99 for 28 servings. So it's only 54 cents a shake. I usually mix it with about 8 oz of Vanilla almond milk and ice. Sometimes I also add a TBSP of Peanut Butter or Herseys Syrup to give it a little different taste. The container says you can add the powder to baked goods, burgers, granola or cereal, meatloaf, etc to add a good amount of protein to any meal, but I have not experimented with that yet. I find this to be more bang for your buck than some of the other ones, like GNC or my old fav Jillian Michaels Whey Protein. That one was $10 for 14 servings or 71 cents a serving and has 100 cals, 1.5 fat, 7 carbs, and 15 g protein.

I usually just use it as an addition to my breakfast. I rarely ever just use it as a meal replacement. I prefer to have it with a 100 cal Thomas Multigrain English Muffin with a TBSP of Peanut butter or some low cal cheese and some Canadian bacon or an apple. The key to keeping the smoothie low cal is to use the almond milk which is like 40 cals instead of 110 cals in 1% milk or just use water to mix it.

Hope this helps you!
    Mike Eastman
  • 1workoutman
    Options
    2 shakes a day for me. I use Vi-Shape by Visalus. It is a Lactose/ gluten free product. The company runs a get 3 yours is free promotion, where when you get 3 people to buy the shakes with you, you get yours for free! So i get mine for free! You can check out more info on the shakes and the whole 90 day Body by Vi Challenge here www.av-promos.com

Adam
    www.av-promos.com