Eating Schedule

bflyeffect7
bflyeffect7 Posts: 13
I need to tweak this to make it work. I take night classes so by the time I get home I am so hungry don't feel like cooking and not sure what to eat bc it is so late! I need help making this work because I still feel like I am hungry most times!

6:30-8:00 - Eat breakfast

9:30-11:00 - Snack

11:00-1:30 - Lunch

2:30-3:45 - Snack

4:30-6:00-Snack

8:00-9:30 Snack, Light Dinner or Replacement Shake

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    you don't have to eat every 2-3 hrs or even eat breakfast, it provides no additional benefit to weight loss. so really eat when you want and how often but fit it all into your calorie goals
  • helenmelon29
    helenmelon29 Posts: 787 Member
    Looks ok to me, but I would make lunch my biggest meal? snack on lots of fruit and veg etc. x
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Biggest mistake:

making an eating schedule! whether you're eating well or not, that's letting food still control your life. don't base your life around food. don't let it own you!
  • @helenOk this helps! Usually dinner is my biggest meal and I am trying to move away from that because I get home from school so late. I will try to make lunch my biggest meal!

@acg I have been trying to speed up my metablolism bc I can go all day and only eat twice but by doing so I overeat. So it was suggested to me to eat smaller meals more frequently. I will begin to think more along the lines of fitting food into my calorie goals as opposed to eating every few hours!
  • Acg67
    @helenOk this helps! Usually dinner is my biggest meal and I am trying to move away from that because I get home from school so late. I will try to make lunch my biggest meal!

@acg I have been trying to speed up my metablolism bc I can go all day and only eat twice but by doing so I overeat. So it was suggested to me to eat smaller meals more frequently. I will begin to think more along the lines of fitting food into my calorie goals as opposed to eating every few hours!

well eating more often won't speed up your metabolism, but if you're doing it as a means to control eating habits it could be beneficial. really whatever is easiest for you and something that you can adhere to is most important
  • conniehgtv
    conniehgtv Posts: 309 Member
    but eating several small meals keeps your blood sugar levels more even, helps fight hunger
  • Acg67
    but eating several small meals keeps your blood sugar levels more even, helps fight hunger

this is a recent study done

Leidy HJ et al. The influence of higher protein intake and greater eating frequency on appetite control in overweight and obese men. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2010 Sep;18(9):1725-32

Abstract

The purpose of this study was to determine the effects of dietary protein intake and eating frequency on perceived appetite, satiety, and hormonal responses in overweight/obese men. Thirteen men (age 51 +/- 4 years; BMI 31.3 +/- 0.8 kg/m(2)) consumed eucaloric diets containing normal protein (79 +/- 2 g protein/day; 14% of energy intake as protein) or higher protein (138 +/- 3 g protein/day; 25% of energy intake as protein) equally divided among three eating occasions (3-EO; every 4 h) or six eating occasions (6-EO; every 2 h) on four separate days in randomized order. Hunger, fullness, plasma glucose, and hormonal responses were assessed throughout 11 h. No protein x eating frequency interactions were observed for any of the outcomes. Independent of eating frequency, higher protein led to greater daily fullness (P < 0.05) and peptide YY (PYY) concentrations (P < 0.05). In contrast, higher protein led to greater daily ghrelin concentrations (P < 0.05) vs. normal protein. Protein quantity did not influence daily hunger, glucose, or insulin concentrations. Independent of dietary protein, 6-EO led to lower daily fullness (P < 0.05) and PYY concentrations (P < 0.05). The 6-EO also led to lower glucose (P < 0.05) and insulin concentrations (P < 0.05) vs. 3-EO. Although the hunger-related perceived sensations and hormonal responses were conflicting, the fullness-related responses were consistently greater with higher protein intake but lower with increased eating frequency. Collectively, these data suggest that higher protein intake promotes satiety and challenge the concept that increasing the number of eating occasions enhances satiety in overweight and obese men.
  • @Jenna I never thought about it like that. Hmm... I looked at it as I was trying to break my bad eating habits by setting the schedule. Its def not something I would follow forever but I thought it would help keep me on track. What would you suggest?
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    This schedule is great. It is important to eat breakfast no later than two hours after you wake up to kick start your metabolism according to my doctor. It is also good to spread your meals the way you are so that you keep your body nourished and you dont have to worry about drops in sugar levels etc. Just make sure you try not to eat anything 2 hours prior to going to bed, also per my doctors orders.
    The person who posted you dont have to eat breakfast is very incorrect. Any research will show that breakfast or 'breaking the fast' helps you fuel your body for the day ahead and gets your metabolism working.
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member

Does not keep blood sugar more even. I always had problems with my blood sugar for years. Now, after doing intermittent fasting, I have no issues. Once your body becomes effecient at burning body fat for energy, your blood sugar levels will become very constant.
  • 4theking
    This schedule is great. It is important to eat breakfast no later than two hours after you wake up to kick start your metabolism according to my doctor. It is also good to spread your meals the way you are so that you keep your body nourished and you dont have to worry about drops in sugar levels etc. Just make sure you try not to eat anything 2 hours prior to going to bed, also per my doctors orders.
    The person who posted you dont have to eat breakfast is very incorrect. Any research will show that breakfast or 'breaking the fast' helps you fuel your body for the day ahead and gets your metabolism working.

Breakfast does not kick start anything.
  • @ Jenna Thanks! I also believe that breakfast is a must. Eating breakfast helps to start my day. Even if it is something small I always have tried to eat something in the morning for breakfast or I tend to overeat at lunch. My question is what can I do about dinner? I get home late and tend to scramble to find something which usually leads to take out or cooking very late.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    I need to tweak this to make it work. I take night classes so by the time I get home I am so hungry don't feel like cooking and not sure what to eat bc it is so late! I need help making this work because I still feel like I am hungry most times!

6:30-8:00 - Eat breakfast

9:30-11:00 - Snack

11:00-1:30 - Lunch

2:30-3:45 - Snack

4:30-6:00-Snack

8:00-9:30 Snack, Light Dinner or Replacement Shake

I eat like this, basically: 5:30 - 6:30, 10-11, 12-1, 2:30-4, 7:30-8:30, 9:30-10:30
    You don't have to, but this is what works for me. I break it up into 5 meals plus a bed time snack. I have been trying to up my protein, so my mid morning and mid afternoon have turned from food meals to powder supplimented "meals." That being said, I settled on this schedule because it's what works for me, not because it's something I'm trying to force my body to adapt to. Eat properly and listen to your body's needs, it will tell you.
  • 4theking

All due respect to your doctor, he is wrong. These are old school teachings that are incorrect.
  • Acg67

and you can break the fast hrs after you wake up with no ill effects on your metabolism, you would have to fast for 48-72 hrs before seeing a significant metabolic slowdown. again it's all personal preference, if you're not hungry in the morning, there is no reason to eat. if larger meals are more satiating for you, eat larger meals more infrequently

all diets work the same way, caloric deficit.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member

All due respect to your doctor, he is wrong. These are old school teachings that are incorrect.

Agreed, either your doctor is not a nutritionist or they are not keeping up with their continuing educaiton classes. This is the old theory, which doesn't really agree with the new science.
  • Ok so eat whenever I would like as long as it fits into my calorie goals. Got it!
  • What about prepping reheatable meals on the weekends (or whenever you have time) so when you get home after class you can just heat something up quickly? This way, you get a good meal without all the fuss of having to actually prepare it when you get home.
  • alleyag
    alleyag Posts: 142

and you can break the fast hrs after you wake up with no ill effects on your metabolism, you would have to fast for 48-72 hrs before seeing a significant metabolic slowdown. again it's all personal preference, if you're not hungry in the morning, there is no reason to eat. if larger meals are more satiating for you, eat larger meals more infrequently

all diets work the same way, caloric deficit.

Agreed on all accounts. I do eat meals every couple hours but its not necc for weight loss. I just enjoy eating this way and it works with my schedule best. If you don't wanna eat breakfast, don't if you want dinner to be your largest meal go ahead. Wanna have food in bed and fall asleep still chewing? Go ahead. Well the last one could be dangerous. But really as long as it fits your calorie intake and macro ratios, eat when you have the time to enjoy it.
  • helenmelon29
    helenmelon29 Posts: 787 Member
    Could you make your supper/dinner in advance so when you got home you just need to warm it up? homemade soup? tuna salad? etc? might help you so you dont eat first thing you see etc?xx
This discussion has been closed.