Changing southern mentality on eating and exercise

Options
Lisarogers4ever
Lisarogers4ever Posts: 1 Member
edited August 2021 in Introduce Yourself
I am a southern woman at heart. Although I have lived in the northeast for quite a while. So my eating habits are very much ingrained in southern cooking. I eat meat, add butter to everything and mama ain’t giving up biscuits. However, I turned the big 5-0 and realized I want to live to be 90 and be in good health; mentally, physically, and spiritually. In addition, having a teenager brings quite a few things into perspective. I need to start feeding us healthier meals, but it's rough y’all. What foods get rid of the sugar cravings, and binge eating. We both have put on the COVID-20 (similar to the freshman-15) yep I have created a new adjective. I am considered obese so putting on 20 lbs was not helpful and my teenager plays sports so her weight gain has slowed her down. Need help.

Replies

• JackieAC1951
    JackieAC1951 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I, too, am a southern woman, and I want to eat southern style. During the stay-at-home for the past year, I turned to sourdough everything, and it has really added on the pounds. At 70 years of age, I find that losing weight now is a lot harder. Activity is practically nil. I just need to change my mindset and take "baby steps". Hang in there!
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Eating less sugar helps reduce cravings for it - it's been my experience when I eat sugar I want more of it, in a very immediately noticeable way. I made a batch of marshmallows for a cooking competition on Reddit a couple of weeks ago, and sometimes when I had a handful of calories to spare at the end of the day, I'd grab one and pop it in my mouth just for a little something sweet (they came out to about 15 cal apiece, and they're just sugar, air, and gelatin...and those last two things don't have any calories). And then I would want another one, or some other snack, and I'd find myself rifling through the fridge or pantry for stuff I didn't need or even actually want, come to that. The dopamine hit is real. I didn't feel like that on evenings when I didn't indulge in a marshmallow, on those nights it was much easier to just eat what I had planned and sip on water or unsweetened herbal tea until it was time for bed.

Binge eating behavior is a little more complex - if you're in the Sugar Thrall described above, then that's one thing, but if you binge for more emotional reasons than chemical ones, it may be worth talking to someone to help you drill down and find out what's really going on when you want to binge. A mental health professional can help you develop tools to use with yourself when you get like that, to redirect your energy and deal with whatever the actual problem is in another way. If you're not able to access mental health support, some things that you might consider trying are:

* cultivate a hobby that doesn't center around food, ideally one that either requires clean hands (like knitting or another fiber art) or creates dirty ones (like painting or gardening).
    * go for a walk outside, physically remove yourself from where food is for a while.
    * call a friend or relative and chat about something else for a while. who's your chattiest, nosiest auntie? bet she'd love an audience to tell about whatever she or her kids or the neighbors have been up to.
    * write about your feelings in a journal - it feels hokey, but putting words on a page gives them somewhere to live besides in your head, and if you're wanting to binge because you're stressed about something, the absolute worst possible thing that happens if you write down what you're feeling is that you waste a sheet of paper and a little bit of ink. you don't even have to write with a pen, you could open up the Notes app on your phone or your computer, or use the blog you have as part of your MFP account here - under My Home there is a link that says My Blog in the darker blue menu bar, you can choose to make your blog private so no one can read it if you don't want them to.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    I am actually southern. I have found my best management has come from changing the proportions of things. If I want biscuits and sausage gravy, I recognize most of what I want is the gravy. So I make it with turkey sausage and skim milk instead of pork sausage and real cream, and then put that stuff over scrambled egg and tomato slices (oh my god fresh garden tomatoes). Not a bowl of it with 4 biscuits crumbled in.

I use light country crock and less of it. I increase the protein and fiber in most meals but keep the calorie dense food that's super flavorful in the mix.

Sometimes it means fried chicken and BBQ happens every other weekend with a green salad side instead of every sunday with a side of mashed potatoes or bbq on a bun with mayo-y coleslaw.

It works for me.

Just takes finding the parts of the meal that scream "HOME" to you, and balancing them out with other stuff. You can do this.
  • kimberly2070
    kimberly2070 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I grew up in Sandy Springs, GA and moved to Seattle. I wish I could love salmon as much as biscuits and gravy! Unfortunately I gravitate to the entrees with the most carbs. It’s a struggle but one worth fighting.