Carrying Extra Weight Will Help

That's right carrying extra weight will help you lose weight and tone up. Sound crazy? It's not.

I mentioned this to a MFP friend of mine just yesterday. I sometimes wear ankle weights during the day to help burn a few extra calories in my everyday actions. I don't count anything extra as a workout, it's all just a bonus. Sometimes I will wear them when I am spinning too. It is a wonderful feeling when I take them off. I get the feeling of losing 4 lbs(2 lbs each leg).

So if you wear long pants to work, you can easily wear them to work. Best of all you can get in a mini-all-day-workout at work and you are getting paid for it and nobody will know. If you sit at a desk, you could do some leg lifts while your sitting. Take the stairs instead of the elevator or escalator. Or go for a walk on your break and/or lunch. At the end of the day you will feel it. You don't have to do it everyday. Just here and there for a little extra push towards your goal.

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    good idea. thanks
  • Great job - Yes, it does work. I'm glad you're not counting it too.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    That's great!
  • persian_star
    persian_star Posts: 197 Member
    My main form of exercise is walking to and from working, 2 miles each way and very hilly. I log this, obviously, (as 35 mins at 3.5 mph) but I've only just thought that it shouldn't be all I'm logging! While I'm walking I carry a heavy rucksack containing my laptop and power supply, handbag, change of clothes, (in the morning) lunch and (in the afternoon) any shopping I've done. It's a laptop rucksack and is well supported on my back, so despite being heavy doesn't give me back problems, but I'd never thought that it might be helping me to burn more calories!

Anyone any idea how many calories that might burn, and if I should log it? If it's not significant then I'll just leave it but I've found myself exhausted a lot lately and really hungry, so although I mostly hit my calorie allowance, I always wonder if I should eat more to sustain my exercise level.

Thoughts?
  • lisastrom
    lisastrom Posts: 108 Member
    I've actually been doing this for a long time. I will walk on my lunch hour w/ankle weights and hand-held weights. When you get closer to your goal weight it helps to boost your calorie burn! It is a great idea:)
  • phatsoslim
    phatsoslim Posts: 257 Member
    My main form of exercise is walking to and from working, 2 miles each way and very hilly. I log this, obviously, (as 35 mins at 3.5 mph) but I've only just thought that it shouldn't be all I'm logging! While I'm walking I carry a heavy rucksack containing my laptop and power supply, handbag, change of clothes, (in the morning) lunch and (in the afternoon) any shopping I've done. It's a laptop rucksack and is well supported on my back, so despite being heavy doesn't give me back problems, but I'd never thought that it might be helping me to burn more calories!

Anyone any idea how many calories that might burn, and if I should log it? If it's not significant then I'll just leave it but I've found myself exhausted a lot lately and really hungry, so although I mostly hit my calorie allowance, I always wonder if I should eat more to sustain my exercise level.

Thoughts?

I don't know how many more calories it would be carrying all your belongings. You could always weigh your back pack. According to MFP database, walking for 35 minutes carrying a 15 lb child would burn 157 calories. It does not say at what speed though. You could add a little or not logged it at all. If you have hit a plateau, I would say up your calorie intake. And drink lots of water.
  • RachelT14
    RachelT14 Posts: 266 Member
    That explains a few things then. My 17.5 kilo child has recently decided that she wants to be carried on my shoulders all the time when we are out. Never thought of it as extra calorie burning but every little helps! Suddenly the scales have started shifting again though
  • HeatherMN
    HeatherMN Posts: 3,821 Member
    Great idea on wearing ankle weights at work! I've never thought about that!

I have thought about purchasing a weighted vest for my hiking and snowshoeing adventures. When I weighed over 200 lbs., I would burn mad calories (600 per hour!) and now I'm down to about half of that.

Thanks for the post!
  • MsFitnFabulous
    MsFitnFabulous Posts: 432 Member
    Thanks for that idea. I usually walk while at work. This may be the thing that helps me bust through my plateau finally!
  • Frances_C17
    Frances_C17 Posts: 64 Member
    I do this when I go out to do my weekly shopping, I hardly notice the extra weight on my legs but definitely feel it in my bum the next day. Benefits of not having a car!