Plantar Fasciitis remedies?

Options
Anyone have any good plantar fasciitis remedies to help with the pain?

I have been wearing a splint at night to help keep the muscles stretched. I have also been wearing an ankle brace for part of the day, mostly when I'll be walking or doing chores around the house, to help so I don't roll my ankle. The pain is most intense while walking to the bus in the morning and after sitting down for a while then putting pressure on the foot again.

I have been doing these things for almost a month now and am still having pain. I am thinking I am going to have to see a dr. if I can't get this under control soon.

Replies

• scott1024
    scott1024 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Wall push-ups helped me. I would take a break at work about every hour or two and do these for 2 to 3 minutes.
  • LATeagno
    LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    A night splint will work wonders. It's very uncomfortable as it keeps your foot stretched forward, but it will relieve pain throughout the day.

That said, as you lose weight, it will get better! I used to get PF pain all the time... and i can't remember the last time i did now. You're headed in the right direction, lady! :)
  • theresamommyof4
    theresamommyof4 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Really, the only thing that helped me was losing weight. It used to be so bad, I hobbled around almost all day long :( It's so much better now. I still get a twinge every now and then when I first get up in the morning, but it's almost completely cleared up now.
  • suejonestx
    suejonestx Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    orthotics (customized shoe inserts) helped my husband eliminate this for good. They're kind of expensive but totally worked for him.
  • njh2387
    njh2387 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Agree with dad2seven. I finally went to a sports medicine doctor who had me do gentle calf muscle stretches three times a day. You can lean against a wall or anything really, do 30 seconds on each side three times each. It takes time but it does eventually help. In the meantime heel cups in your shoes will help. I haven't had a problem with it in a long time but still do those stretches everyday, as soon as I get up, before and after I work out and while I'm brushing my teeth before bed. Good luck!
  • lauragoat
    lauragoat Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Wall push ups definitely. And really push it. Make it stretch. Also, also flex your foot to stretch the ligament while you are still in bed and before you put any weight on it in the morning. Even with a splint, the ligament will tighten overnight and the flex (or us a towel to pull your toes toward you) will help limber it up before you put weight on it and tear each morning.

2. Get a golf ball. Roll the ball under your foot (under the toes feels really good too) and put as much weight on it as you can stand to stretch all the ligaments of your foot. I eventually got to where I could stand on a golf ball (sounds weird but it feels heavenly)

3. upon the advise of the chiro ... get 2 pans of water... one as hot as you can stand.. one with ice cubes in it. Start with cold, end with cold. Put your foot in each pan for 30 seconds each. (this stimulates the blood flow in the foot).

4. If you don't get relief, go see a chiropractor who will apply ultrasound to your foot. It takes a while (sometimes its taken me 3--4 weeks to get relief) but it can be fixed.

My friend had the pounding done on the bottom of her feet for plantar fascitis and she has had nothing but problems since.

Hope some of this helps! I have had it several times on both heels and they HURT! Take care!
  • ckdub428
    ckdub428 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I suffered from this for 5 years with no help, until I broke my foot. Now I am not suggesting you break your foot!! But what finally helped me was the walking boot they put me in. I asked my doctor about it and she said that the walking boot stretches that muscle and makes it finally relax, and if it ever flares up I can wear the boot again for a few days and it will strecth again.
    About 2 years ago it started acting up. I wore the boot for like 2 days and it feels good again.
    Not the more "normal" advice, but it is the ONLY thing that has given me long term relief.

Hope you feel better!!!
  • iamahealthychick
    iamahealthychick Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I have had this in both feet.. The splint is great. You need to be stretching your calves both the upper and lower muscles. You can do your normal calf stretch (one leg straight out behind and the other bent in front with your back foot flat on the floor) for the upper but it is as important to stretch the lower muscles by bending the back knee a bit in that same stretch. (You can bring your legs in closer together for that one) If you are doing it right, you should be feeling the strech low in the leg.

You need to also strengthen the other muscles in your feet- get a towel, put it on the floor and, using only your toes, pull it toward you. When you have it all gathered, use your toes again and push it away from you.

For the pain- a wine or beer bottle (or any glass bottle) in the freezer, takie it out and roll it under your foot. You can also alternate heat and cold (be sure to end with cold!!! Learned that the hard way!!)

Don't wear high heels (a usual cause) and make sure you always wear soled shoes while at home (I used my Crocs)

Mine lasted 6 months on the left and flared for about a month on the right. I got to massage therapy right away so we could work on the muscles. The exercises above are the ones he got me to do. They worked!
  • toujours16
    toujours16 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Stretch A LOT! I stretch my foot/arch out first thing in the morning after I get out of bed before I walk anywhere, and several times a day. Also, good arch supports help a bunch. I have had terrible PF for the last year or so - hoping weight loss will make it go away.
  • auntied
    auntied Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I did every thing possible doctors, excerises diet you name it. I finally went to the Good Feet store got there inserts BAMB gone! I wore them everyday for 2 years pain stopped immeditally and now I just wear the mainter. I bought 2 of the 3 they tried to sell me. and I have no problem now. Best thing I did.
  • RedheadHen
    RedheadHen Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I am wearing a arch bandage pretty much any time I'm not wearing my Danskos or my walking shoes. I also stand on a stair with just the balls of my feet on the step and lower and lift my body. That stretches the tendon all along the bottom of your foot. Also, take a tennis ball (or any ball really) and roll your foot over it. That helps message the tender areas under your foot. I was told by an orthopedic nurse to do this as many times a day that I can remember to do it! It's working. Each day I feel less pain, but it's slow going! I don't wear the arch when I'm working out and wearing my cross trainers or walking shoes. I also don't wear it when I wear my Danskos.

I never had this problem before. I was wearing flip flops and I think that is the cause of mine. I usually only wear Dansko shoes because they have awesome arches built into their shoes. I have low arches and I need to wear shoes that support my arch. If you have shoes that don't support your arch .. this will not go away. It takes a few months to go away using home remedies too ... so don't give up!
  • Cokamo
    Options
    I have plantar fascitis. It is not inflamed right now, thank goodness, but here is what has helped me.

First, stretch. Keeping the splint on at night will help, but you need to do these stretches 2-3X a day while it's inflamed: http://physicaltherapy.about.com/od/flexibilityexercises/a/footstretch.htm

Also, you can ice it. Fill a water bottle and freeze it. Roll the frozen water bottle under your foot for an ice massage...feels great and helps a lot. Try that a couple times a day. Also, between icings, you can use a tennis ball to roll under your foot. Also feels great.

Additionally, you may consider taking an oral antiinflammatory...there are homeopathic ones or something like Aleve. Up to you.

Also, shoes are important. A good supportive shoe will relieve a lot of your discomfort during the day.

And then, of course, you have to decrease the stress on your plantar fascia...that means weight loss if weight is one of your contributing factors.
  • sexyharleymama
    Options
    Hey chica check out this link

http://www.plantar-fasciitistreatment.com/

Symptoms of Plantar Fasciitis? (like you don't know the symptoms :bigsmile:
    The most common symptoms of plantar fasciitis are:

•pain and tenderness in the bottom of the heel;
    •pain at its worst (sharpest) first thing in the morning;
    •pain that progresses into a dull ache by the end of the day;
    •possible mild swelling;
    •heel pain after walking or standing for a long time;
    •pain that develops gradually;
    •pain that affects only one foot;
    •difficulty bending the toes towards the shin (called “dorsiflexion” of the foot).

Causes of Plantar Fasciitis
    You are more at risk of developing plantar fasciitis if:

•you are overweight or have suddenly gained weight (e.g. during pregnancy);
    •you frequently walk or stand for a long time (in particular if on hard surfaces);
    •you your foot arches are excessively high or you have flat feet;
    •you have excessive pronation of your feet (your feet roll inwards when you walk);
    •you suffer from tight Achilles tendons or calf muscles;
    •you wear shoes that don’t fit correctly or are worn out, providing no cushioning or support;
    •you are are an athlete who runs long distances or has recently increased distances.

Plantar Fasciitis Treatment
    The first step is to eliminate the activity that caused the inflammation. You should:

•change your exercise routines to reduce stress on the plantar fascia;
    •rest, elevate and ice your foot repeatedly during the initial stages of treatment;
    •avoid running and walking, instead doing such activities as swimming and cycling;
    •consider a course of over-the-counter anti-inflammatory medicines such as aspirin and ibuprofen to help reduce pain and discomfort, although you must seek medical advice prior to taking any medication.
    After completing the initial rest and recovery stage, you should adopt a holistic approach to treatment, attacking the injury from multiple angles. These include:

•wearing special plantar fasciitis shoes that protect and support the plantar fascia;
    •buying shoe orthotics to cushion the plantar fascia;
    •wearing plantar fasciitis night splints;
    •wearing a plantar fasciitis sock;
    •taping the plantar fascia;
    •plantar fascia massage; and
    •most importantly, strictly follow a proven treatment program.

Hope you get to feeling some relief soon :flowerforyou:
  • jimswife1
    jimswife1 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Mine was so bad, I ended up going to the podiatrist. She told me to never wear sandals or open toed shoes. I had on a pair of Nike shox when I went in and she said somethin like that was fine. She wanted me to stick to the elliptical for exercise, because it wasn't jarring to the joints. She then gave me some exercises to do and the most helpful was first thing in the morning, before getting out of bed, take a towel and put it at the mid foot area, grab both ends with each hand and pull, only until you feel it in your foot, then release and do this 10 times, that really did help. She showed me how to tape my foot as well, to relieve the pressure. She said when you have plantar fascitis, that you tear tendons everytime you walk and are in pain. Eventually I had to get orthotics and they help.

I did order a brace that puts pressure on that area from a company called footsmart and that really helped. My foot is so much better, but if I have flare ups, I go back to taping and exercises and trust me, I work in a busy critical care unit on my feet for 12 hours, so I know your pain.

Best of luck,
    Shelia
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I had it in my left foot about 3 years ago. Tried everything but nothing helped. Finally had a cortisone shot in my heel. After about a month, I have had no pain since. Then it flared up in my right heel. Back to doctor, had the shot. Took closer to 3 months this time, but I have been pain free for a couple months. If I do long walks I sometimes have problems for a day after, but stretching and rolling my foot across a frozen water bottle usually helps. Good luck!
  • Maggiedc
    Options
    I treat a lot of it in my office...freezing a bottle (just make sure it doesn't explode) and rolling it under your foot helps to reduce swelling. Rolling a golf ball or tennis ball (if the golf ball hurts too much) under your foot will help break up the adhesions in the tissue that form when the foot is relaxed making it easier to stretch out the plantar fascia.
  • StarlaDesiree
    StarlaDesiree Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm taking an anatomy and kinesiology class this semester and we discussed this, actually. My instructor, who is a Certified Athletic Trainer, said the best thing to do is use a rolling pin. Yes, a rolling pin that you would use for dough in the kitchen. Roll your foot along the rolling pin and it helps stretch out and flex the fascia. Just keep doing it as often as you can. I don't think you want to limit the movement or flexibility of your foot, because then the fascia will inflame and tighten again, so not sure if an ankle brace during the day is a good call. Hope the rolling pin helps!
  • hake0305
    Options
    Wow! Thank you everyone for all the excellent responses! I am definitely going to start doing the stretches. I'll have to make sure I am icing it after work and after I work out. I didn't realize that this problem persisted for so long for many of you. I was thinking a month or two of treatment and it would be fixed. Good to know I have a road ahead of me with rehabing this injury.

You guys are amazing! :happy:
  • hake0305
    Options
    I have also been not going bare foot at all since the injury. I wear crocs sandals at home and my beloved Mizuno running shoes whenever I exercise or am outside walking.

I definitely need some new work shoes though because now that we're past Labor Day, I have to dress business casual again, which means no tennis shoes or crocs! I was just wearing dress flats prior to this w/no support or cushion. And my May through October staple has always been flip flops:frown: bad I know, but I loved the things until I injured my foot!

New shoes, stretching and icing will be my new attempts to correct this pain. Thanks again everyone!
  • Monroe121
    Monroe121 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    This is the worst pain I have ever had! I stretch my foot before and after I exercise with a towel! It gives instant relief and I feel so good. I roll a frozen water bottle or anything with ridges on the bottom of my foot! Ice it for about 15-20 minutes every nitgh and morning! The stretching is the most important my MD said. Also buy some Nike Shox!

You don't want to end up in a Cam Walker like I had to, for 6 weeks. Annoying!

Good Luck, Honey!