Beginner fitness

Options
So, aside from walking, and riding a stationary bike, could you suggest some fitness activities for a beginner that can be done at home? I suffer from sore knees when I try to run. I garden and chop wood, but I need to find some higer-calorie burning exercises that won't result in injury. I am in my late 40's and not the athletic type.

Replies

• sunflower8926
    sunflower8926 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    So, aside from walking, and riding a stationary bike, could you suggest some fitness activities for a beginner that can be done at home? I suffer from sore knees when I try to run. I garden and chop wood, but I need to find some higer-calorie burning exercises that won't result in injury. I am in my late 40's and not the athletic type.

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    push ups are the best for upper body

strectching actually burns calories also and is good for you
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    Exercise videos of course! Try the beach body ones, they are really good, or so I've heard. I just started the slim series and so far I like it. I think that they say "Slim in 6" is good for beginners good luck!

~Leash
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options

ellipticals are awesome and good on the joints but if you can't afford it I would suggest continueing to walk just walk for an hour at a good speed to get your heart rate pumping.
  • cstang
    cstang Posts: 28
    Options
    I've discovered the physioball. I got a 3-in-1 from Costco ($22.99 *in Illinois) It comes with a book of exercises, including seated cardio workouts and stretching exercises, a stretch band, a web for the ball for various other exercises, the ball itself and a DVD. There is so much I can do with this small investment that I'm considering cancelling my gym membership.
  • sunflower8926
    Options
    Thanks for your suggestions:smile:

I would love to work with a video, but I have never been able to find one that is simple enough and slow enough for a beginner. I have always been uncoordinated, so I really need things spelled out for me about how to move without injury, too.
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    Have you tried taebo? I have one bad knee and amazingly it is very easy on my knees.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options

Walk away the pounds is great!! you can get the dvd's and as long as you stay away from intervals its really light ob the legs.
  • Twiglet2016
    Twiglet2016 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi there .. I've just joined the site and cannot even work out how to make the weight loss ticker personalised. I want ti kise 20 lbs and have started a fairly big exercise routine that has left me tired ..
    so tired that I end up napping whenever I can. Someone told me that drinking a recovery drink after a wrook out (within 15 minutes) helps recovery a lot and you dont feel it in the muscles or the fatigue so much the next day. I wasn't able to make it to the gym today ... and was going to go to bed without doing anything but logged in and read what all of you are doing at home !! Will watch a bit of tv now and do some fitness ball, sit ups, pelvic tilts ( 5 x 20 ) and some hand weights. Something is better than nithing, right ? Thank you all for your inspiration !! :happy:
  • shariweber
    Options
    I have to tell you if you are exhausted, you might be going too hard. I didn't think I was, but I never "felt great" after working out like everyone said. :grumble:

I went and got a heart rate monitor and it has changed everything. I love working out now. :love: I have fun working out, I sweat, and afterward i feel great. I have so much energy now. It was a 180 change.
    here in Washington, I got one for $40.
  • tooFAT2
    tooFAT2 Posts: 29
    Options
    Thanks for your suggestions:smile:

I would love to work with a video, but I have never been able to find one that is simple enough and slow enough for a beginner. I have always been uncoordinated, so I really need things spelled out for me about how to move without injury, too.

As someone mentioned earlier the Beachbody videos are great...I started with SIim in Six and they are EASY to follow...I think you would like it...I LOST INCHES!!! not much weight but OMG the inches...I went from a size 18 to comfy size 14...then I did another Beachbody program P90 AND lost some pounds but mainly b/c I made good food choices(ate clean clean)...I dropped from 190 to 180 AND size 14 to size 12/some size 10s...unfortunately, I fell and hurt my back so I had to stop my exercise routine...SOO now I have to really really watch what I eat. I cannot wait to begin my beachbody workouts again. I hope it helps.

melissa
  • sunflower8926
    Options
    Thanks, I will take a look for the Beachbody ones:smile:
  • tooFAT2
    tooFAT2 Posts: 29
    Options
    :wink: you will not regret it!! :wink:
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    I know that there will be those who will laugh their heads off at this suggestion but here goes!:blushing:

Try the Richard Simmons, Sweatin' to the Oldies series.

I am 44 and find the music more to my taste than some of the newer videos and there will surely be at least one person on there that you will relate to. (many sizes)

I also have bad knees and find that the high impact, deep bends, or side to side things can cause pain the next day.

The very best thing I ever did regarding my knees was to go to a sporting goods store (****'s Sporting Goods is popular in our area) and purchase knee braces for about $30.00. I have the kind that lookes like a fabric and rubber sleeve with an open knee hole. I have such large knees that I was too embarassed to try the kind with velcro straps.

Anyway, they work great and I love them!!! They help to give my knee just the right amount of stability without interfering with my work out.

If at some point you can afford an eliptical, they are the best.

Hope that is helpful!

Dee Dee:smile:
  • molsongirl
    molsongirl Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    I know that there will be those who will laugh their heads off at this suggestion but here goes!:blushing:

I am 44 and find the music more to my taste than some of the newer videos and there will surely be at least one person on there that you will relate to. (many sizes)

I also have bad knees and find that the high impact, deep bends, or side to side things can cause pain the next day.

The very best thing I ever did regarding my knees was to go to a sporting goods store (****'s Sporting Goods is popular in our area) and purchase knee braces for about $30.00. I have the kind that lookes like a fabric and rubber sleeve with an open knee hole. I have such large knees that I was too embarassed to try the kind with velcro straps.

Anyway, they work great and I love them!!! They help to give my knee just the right amount of stability without interfering with my work out.

Hope that is helpful!

I think that the Richard Simmons idea is a terrific one!, you can also tey a yoga or beginners DVD, they are everywhere, and yoga is a great way to indroce your body to exercise!
  • MrsDreamer1974
    MrsDreamer1974 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I have a bad knee so it is hard for me to do much more then walking & light swimming, but I have a weight watchers work out video and it is great, its simple but gets it done.
  • JennaH
    JennaH Posts: 59
    Options
    I know my Mom started working out and changing her lifestyle about the same time as me, and she loves her DVD called "2 Mile Walk" which basically takes you through low impact and easy exercises that give you the equivalent of a two mile power walk. She has never been active or coordinated but she raves about these videos.
  • swimfit
    swimfit Posts: 10
    Options
    Have you tried water exercises? They claim it is suppose to be easy on the joints. Avoid doing any breast stroke or frog kicks. Those kicks can be hard on the knees.

Just a thought.:smile:
  • sunflower8926
    Options

Hope that is helpful!

The knee support thing is a great idea. I may look into that. So far I am not having problems, except trying to do squats - I can't seem to get my bum back far enough, so I tend to over-extend my knees. Thanks for the idea:heart:
  • sunflower8926
    Options
    I know my Mom started working out and changing her lifestyle about the same time as me, and she loves her DVD called "2 Mile Walk" which basically takes you through low impact and easy exercises that give you the equivalent of a two mile power walk. She has never been active or coordinated but she raves about these videos.

hahah... your mom...hahaha... way to make me feel old:wink: Just kidding:smile:

Actually, I started with the one mile walk, and you're right, I have been enjoying it. Very, very light to do, even for the uncoordinated such as myself. I think I am ready now to graduate to the two mile:heart: Thanks:smile: