Loner looking for tough love, putting it all out there.

Options
I am 57 years old and morbidly obese. In August 2021 I stepped on the scale and it showed a terrifying number. 370 pounds. How did I get there? 2014 I weighed 216 pounds when I started not feeling well. I was in pain, couldn't sleep, had balance problems all of a sudden, and anxiety. My whole world shifted and I felt it.

Three months later I ended up in the ER, no diagnosis there just a high bill. I went to a nurse practitioner and was sent to see a Rheumatologist. Verdict: Rheumatoid Arthritis, a disease we don't know anything about until we have to deal with it. (No, it's not the same as arthritis, not even close.) It's shifting pain 24/7, fatigue like when you have the flu, depression. They call it "The Pulling disease" and they are right!

I make you feel better the doctor said and put me on steroids and other medications, all of them cause weight gain. Steroids are dramatic, I gained weight by the week.

Before Corona hit us, I was already weighing in at 300 pounds, after Corona at 370 pounds. Was it all the steroids? Heck, no, I ate and ate and ate. I was hungry all the time.

"We need to support the restaurants," I told my husband when the lockdown started, and so we ordered in. Breakfast or lunch. Baconators, McDonald's breakfast, pizza, fried chicken. Everything we both should not have had. So many restaurants needed our support, we did our best. :-)

I went from pity parties to being downright depressed and hopeless. From there I went to anger and resentment. "Why me?" And the universe laughed.

I don't like myself right now. The weight bothers me, my quadruple chin bothers me. The way I look bothers me. I can't even walk from one end to the room to the next, without being out of breath. I have to sit down all the time, which probably is the worst. My health frightens me.

I had it! I had it! I am fed up -in every form and way.

14 days ago I called my doctor and asked for 5 mg Prednisone, told her I would taper down and I did. I cut the pills in half and went from 20 mg to 17.5, now at 15 mg. Next week it's going to be 12.5 mg.

I have researched this awful disease, I have read up on it, I am ready. I have learned about the hippy lifestyle aka the anti-inflammatory diet. As of three days ago, I stopped eating gluten and sugar. I will have to give up dairy and I have to be very, very careful not to eat too much protein. I have recipes ready.

I chose my username wisely because I want to become a RA warrior. Maybe I won't succeed and will have to be on heavy medication for the rest of my life, but I will try and give it my all.

My next doctor's appointment is in September. I want to have a bulletproof plan for my doctor, and results by then. This time I will do the talk and the walk.

It's now or never.

I have become a loner. I don't go out anymore, because I can't walk much and I don't fit in a booth, and because I am careful. COVID likes fat people like me.

Anyhow, I weighed in today and the scale showed 364.8. Isn't that fantastic? I lost almost six pounds already. It's nothing but means everything to me right now. I will check in with my new weight tomorrow morning.

I am new here at MyFitnessPal. I am terrified. I am determined and I talk (write) too much. I need tough love!

I don't have many friends in real life, I have become a hermit crab. Not sure if it will continue here too. I hope not, but it won't matter. I am determined. My time to shine!

Replies

• TattedGemini
    TattedGemini Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    You got this! Just take it one day at a time and have compassion for yourself. RA is no joke and you have to be careful to not over do it. You’re off to a great start.
  • IntergalatixW
    IntergalatixW Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    You are doing the right thing. You are choosing to make your body well rather than just suppressing symptoms. It will be hard but worth it in the end. Don’t give up, you got this.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,296 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP.
    I don’t have RA, but my body hates me in other ways.
    Stick with it. You CAN do this!
  • RA_Warrior
    RA_Warrior Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP.
    I don’t have RA, but my body hates me in other ways.
    Stick with it. You CAN do this!

I know what you mean :-)
  • RA_Warrior
    Options
    Cheddar323 wrote: »
    I was overweight all my life, until two years ago when I found I was going to become a father. I changed my lifestyle around and eating habits as well and lost a significant amount of weight. I went from a whopping 327lbs to about 190lbs in a span of a year and a half. I was very motivated and on the right track but unfortunately around March of last year I was diagnosed with testicular cancer. I had surgery for it and I'm currently being monitored without chemotherapy at this time. I feel like this traumatic event really triggered and brought to the forefront my stomach issues. I also gained about 50lbs back which was really disheartening since I lost so much weight to begin with. However, I'm back at it now pushing through my issues and I'm just here to tell you that you can do this despite your health issues. It doesn't have to be a right away but just a slow gradual change and I'm sure you will reach your goals.

First of all, I hope the surgery did the trick and you and your doctors kicked cancer to the curb. Day #3 on MyFitnessPal and almost ten days living a different life, focusing on the right fuel for my body. Eight pounds lighter as of yesterday. It's going to be a gradual change and weight loss will be only a side effect. You know, possibly that's what I needed. I could use some friends and will send you a friend request. I hope you will accept.
    Thank you so much for opening up.
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    You got this!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Welcome and best wishes. I have lupus and can relate to living through times when eating is the only thing that doesn’t hurt! After a diabetes diagnosis I lost 125 lbs and have kept it off 3 years. It’s certainly tricky with pain and meds but doable.

My first bit of advice would be to find non-food sources of comfort and joy and collect them. Something you can do even when you can’t think straight because you don’t feel good. My things include birdwatching, having my nails done in silly colors, and reading comics.
  • RA_Warrior
    Options

I am not disabled -yet and refuse to even think in this direction. I work 40+ full and try to function as normally as possible. The truth is I don't know if it's RA or being overweight by almost 200 pounds, what makes everything so much harder.

I appreciate you thinking of me.
  • IntergalatixW
    IntergalatixW Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    RA_Warrior wrote: »

First of all, I hope the surgery did the trick and you and your doctors kicked cancer to the curb. Day #3 on MyFitnessPal and almost ten days living a different life, focusing on the right fuel for my body. Eight pounds lighter as of yesterday. It's going to be a gradual change and weight loss will be only a side effect. You know, possibly that's what I needed. I could use some friends and will send you a friend request. I hope you will accept.

Glad to hear that you’re on track RA Warrior. It’s not easy sticking to an Autoimmune diet buts it’s so worth it. Where do you go for recipes.? And what do you do when you don’t have time to cook? I will be traveling end of next week and wondering how I am going to manage away from my kitchen for all meals of the day.
  • RA_Warrior
    Options
    RA_Warrior wrote: »

Glad to hear that you’re on track RA Warrior. It’s not easy sticking to an Autoimmune diet buts it’s so worth it. Where do you go for recipes.? And what do you do when you don’t have time to cook? I will be traveling end of next week and wondering how I am going to manage away from my kitchen for all meals of the day.

So far I have gotten all my recipes online from blogs like "Oh she glows" or Vegan blogs, also blogs that offer recipes that are gluten-free and dairy-free. If I don't have time to cook, I think I will eat a salad with either Balsamic dressing (not store-bought) or dairy-free ranch dressing. Veggie Tray? On the road...no idea. Gluten-free vegan pizza without cheese? Juice Stores? I am going to look into mason jar salad to take work. I just ordered them. This is exciting.