Motivation help

Options
I'm such a yoyo dieter it's ridiculous any good tips on getting past 5 days

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,186 Member
    Options
    I would suggest : build sustainable habits instead of relying on motivation, motivation is fleeting.

For example, start by weighing and logging your food consistently, the food you're used to eating. Do that for a week or two.
    Then set up your profile and goals - don't choose a fast rate of loss, this isn't a race, it's a lifestyle change.
    Start tweaking your diet: easy adjustments and substitutions to lower your calorie intake till its within your calorie goal.
    If you want to change what you eat (for example, you feel you're eating too many processed foods or not enough vegetables), make gradual changes.
    Don't eliminate all your favorite foods, you'll just end up giving up.

Same for exercise: don't choose a punitive exercise regime to beat your body into submission. Start gradually and choose activities you enjoy.
  • AldiAttorney
    AldiAttorney Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    The above tips by Lietchi is true. Consistency in logging your food is the key. If you can't measure it, you can't manage it.

I love food. I eat anything I want. When it's pizza time, it's pizza time! I enjoy it with my family, won't stress about it, and nothing will stop me. But I track the calories and do my best to stay under my calorie limit.

Just be patient in the process, don't overthink it. It is a very long journey but you'll get there. :)
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    We're never going to maintain motivation if we don't actually care. Take some time to figure out why this is important to you. Once you have a deep and emotional why, commit to change. Commitment will keep you going.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,477 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Good stuff in this tread.

Start a food diary and never stop. Get a food scale and use it whenever possible. Use measuring cups for liquids. Start crunching numbers and logging your intake. Personally I don’t like logging on the computer because it reminds me of work, paper is OK. Just so you do it consistently. Get ready for the calorie counting learning curve. It takes awhile. Plus there are always gray areas. Don’t know how many calories in a meal or dish? Make a good faith estimate and keep going.

And this- no throwing up your hands and quitting when you make mistakes. And there are lots of ways to make mistakes. Everything from inadequate plans, giving into urges under stress, to simple math mistakes or misreading NI or menus. But keep logging everything. Weight loss is mostly about problems solving and persistence. Your food diary serves as a record of problems to solve. The process is more important than the numbers.

Make your food diary the center of your program and you will never be off your program again. Direct your effort at things you can do and be sure to do them. Don’t make goals about the number on the scale. Make your goals about things you can control and the scale will follow.

Last thing- set your calories to aim for a moderate deficit. Part of yo-yo dieting is insisting on the most aggressive deficit we can think of. But the best plan is one we will actually follow. There’s really nothing to be gained by going fast because not much changes at goal weight if you want to stay there. Good luck.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    OP hasn’t logged in since making this post.

My tip for getting past 5 days is to start by making a habit of logging in daily.
    Log everything you eat. And check the forums and maybe a group or two for support.

You have to build the habits first.
    Nothing happens without solid habits.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,186 Member
    Options

She has logged in though in the meantime 🙂
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »

She has logged in though in the meantime 🙂

YES!

OP! We’re here for you! Keep doing the thing! You got this!