Tip to drop a dress size

Options
I'm back on MFP after gaining 1.5 stone and 2 dress sizes. I have a friends wedding next month and I found a beautiful dress but it's a size smaller than I currently am. It isn't available in a bigger size so of course i bought it.
So, I need to fit into this dress in a months time but still be sensible with my food and not restrict an unhealth amount.
I have a gym membership so any food or exercise advise would be great!

Replies

• ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    MaltedTea wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of fast weight loss though so if I were you, I'd take a longer term approach to my health by aiming for a slower and more sustainable rate of weight loss...and then invest in shapewear for this one event.

Seconding the recommendation for shapewear. Some of that stuff has some serious compression power. But it's definitely not comfy to wear so you may be miserable in your beautiful dress.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    CobraJxM wrote: »
    I'm back on MFP after gaining 1.5 stone and 2 dress sizes. I have a friends wedding next month and I found a beautiful dress but it's a size smaller than I currently am. It isn't available in a bigger size so of course i bought it.
    So, I need to fit into this dress in a months time but still be sensible with my food and not restrict an unhealth amount.
    I have a gym membership so any food or exercise advise would be great!

If you insist on keeping the dress despite all the advice to the contrary, you could likely drop a stone in a month by doing keto and selecting two pound a week as your weight loss goal.

HOWEVER, a lot of the loss will be water weight rather than fat, which might not help you fit into the dress.

If you were at goal before gaining the 1.5 stone, there is no SENSIBLE way to drop a size's worth of fat in a month.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Depending on dress and your shape you can actually visually appear smaller and probably fit in the dress if you wear two layers of shape wear (the full thing) over each other and don't plan on sitting, eating, or breathing comfortably.
  • jspecies11
    jspecies11 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Agree with all the above advice. If the dress is to die for, you could keep it as a long term NSV incentive on your fitness path. If this is doable with $$$. Short term for the wedding- keep working your plan to look and feel your best. Even a few pounds dropped will make you feel better in another dress that fits. Wishing the best outcome for you
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    What kind of shape wear are we taking here? I’m unfamiliar and am interested to know more.
  • ythannah
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    What kind of shape wear are we taking here? I’m unfamiliar and am interested to know more.

Spanx is probably the most well-known brand but there are lots of them.

Something along these lines
    leonisa-strapless-bodysuit-shaper-short-with-booty-lifter-018486-black_1024x1024.jpg?v=1594195894

• bernadettenz
    bernadettenz Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    ythannah wrote: »

leonisa-strapless-bodysuit-shaper-short-with-booty-lifter-018486-black_1024x1024.jpg?v=1594195894

So... How do you go to the toilet in that?
    You don't? Remove your dress? Or is there a secret release somewhere?
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    You're asking all the right questions. They are also among the reasons I don't mess with shapewear 😂

But if it's for one event, where you don't drink or sit or twist from the waist if someone behind you calls your name...

Then all should be fine 🤷🏿‍♀️

ETA: Lest I come off hypocritical, there is space in the market for shapewear. So even though I don't wear them, I think the OP's time crunch situation is one of the main ways these types of undergarments can come in handy.

Also, @ythannah, jumpsuits (but only ones with full sleeves) are the only reason I will sacrifice for fashion. Public washrooms be damned 🤣
  • ythannah
    Options

So... How do you go to the toilet in that?
    You don't? Remove your dress? Or is there a secret release somewhere?

I have NO idea! I'd imagine you'd have to strip right down. I don't even like jumpsuits for that reason, I don't want to get half nekkid just to pee.

I don't wear that extent of "shapewear" either (just half slip type smoothing things) but I have friends who swear by it. I've never thought to ask them about bathroom trips. And I think the degree of compression needed to shrink a full size would call for something heavy duty.
  • wunderkindking
    Options
    Most shapewear that's one piece like that has no crotch.

But they also make separates (so like briefs and a cami) so there's no issue.

I like some lighter stuff mostly because it makes me aware of my posture and smooths out my clothes over skin (keeps it from clinging and bunching), but I have absolutely done the heavy duty stuff. Not for me because not comfortable, but I HAVE DONE IT.
  • ythannah
    Options
    I like some lighter stuff mostly because it makes me aware of my posture and smooths out my clothes over skin (keeps it from clinging and bunching), but I have absolutely done the heavy duty stuff. Not for me because not comfortable, but I HAVE DONE IT.

Inquiring minds want to know: Would it squish you down a size?
  • wunderkindking
    Options

Inquiring minds want to know: Would it squish you down a size?

Depends some on the dress's cut and where you carry weight, but yeah it can make a pretty big difference.