Need help breaking TV habit

Options
I have gotten into the bad habit of sitting and watching TV all night after dinner. I need
suggestions on what I can do to break this habit. Thanks!!

Replies

• Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Sell your TV, or stop all your cable/ subscription services. Unplug it at the wall and all hook up cables, so it’s a PITA to start it up.
  • cmsienk
    cmsienk Posts: 17,995 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Go for a walk, make plans with friends to go out after dinner, read a book...

OR at least do something productive while you're watching - maybe as you scale back. Do some stretching, fold your laundry, make your grocery list, write a letter to your grandma or a shut-in or a child...
  • MrsDogLady
    MrsDogLady Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    You know that old saying "Just Do It". Turn it off and find something else to do. I always have a kitchen to clean or laundry to fold, etc. Perhaps clean out and re-organize a neglected closet or dresser, house cleaning is a great calorie burner.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,557 Member
    Options
    I binge watch Greys Anatomy while doing my recumbent elliptical.

So. My advice is “Why not both?”
    o:)
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    I have an elliptical and a mini trampoline (also called a rebounder). I have certain shows that I only allow myself to watch if I'm on the elliptical. I can watch any show I want while walking on my trampoline.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    yayamom3 wrote: »
    I have an elliptical and a mini trampoline (also called a rebounder). I have certain shows that I only allow myself to watch if I'm on the elliptical. I can watch any show I want while walking on my trampoline.

This^

Force yourself to do something. Run in place during commercials, or make a goal of 10 (or 15) minutes of exercise for every hour of TV, or buy a piece of equipment to use during.

Ideas for commercials - deck of cards workout. https://www.verywellfit.com/how-to-use-playing-cards-to-create-a-workout-routine-85990
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    buy a farm.

after dinner is when we do our evening farm chores. spend an hour fighting with livestock to get in their barns. filling water troughs and hay feeders. feeding chickens and ducks. collecting eggs. negotiating with the livestock guardian dogs that is is INDEED time to go to work for the evening (they insist on payment before work- a cookie). then its bedtime.

LOL
  • melissalagies
    melissalagies Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the suggestions.