What is a fair rate for a trainer

Options
Ok, so I am thinking of hitting the gym and was wondering if I can afford a personal trainer. Anyone have one and if so what is the current rate/fee? I live in a small town so things tend to be more expensive out here and I wanted to make sure it was on track before I jump right in! Thanks!!

Replies

• jgb1128
    jgb1128 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    At the YMCA in my town, we pay $34 an hour (member rate). I'm sure at some for profit clubs it will be more.
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I pay $20 for 1/2 hour. Worth every penny
  • kathy0317
    Options
    I've seen $65-90/hour around here (which is why I don't have one)
  • iamMaLisa
    iamMaLisa Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    i got a personal trainer a week ago, i pay $30 for a half hour once a week. I know others at the same gym that pay 45 for the same. So i know they can adjust according to your financing, since its separate from the membership. Also i found out that one of my husbands friends wife is a personal trainer at that gym and she would have allowed me to pay her "under the table" had she known i was going there. So with having said all that, check your friends/friends and haggle, tell them you need a trainer and you have limited funds and they will work with you if they want the business bad enough and with the economy the way it is they need it.
  • IndigoVA
    IndigoVA Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised at how inexpensive these rates are! In my area, they tend to run around $100/hour for one-on-one. Sometimes you can get deals for small groups, or signing up and pre-paying for several sessions.
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    It's definitely going to vary by location. In general you can get a lower rate by going with an independent trainer rather than through a gym (at least in my area). Most of the gyms around here charge $60 per hour. Independent trainers usually charge $45 to 50 per hour. You only need one or two sessions a week to see great results. And if funds are really limited, see if you can find a trainer who will work up a plan that you can do on your own and just see them for one session a month to check in and update your routine. (One of my friends is going that route because he works night shift. It's difficult to find a trainer willing to work at 2 am.)

And one other piece of advice, trainers are not one-size-fits-all. Find one that communicates well. That means they listen to your goals and help you work around any problems. They should be motivational, never abusive. You should feel great after you work out with one.
  • dawnw30
    dawnw30 Posts: 270
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the info - great advice!
  • goatruns
    Options
    I pay $280 a month for twice a week, 30 minute sessions. That is with a year contract. For this area, that's considered very reasonable. Given I pay $125 for a 90 minute massage, it didn't seem high to me.

*has no idea why this post is sort of hanging out all by itself...*