2.5 weeks without lifting - frustrated

Options
I’ve been lifting weights for about 6 months, following a 6 day per week PPL split for 12 weeks. I just got back to lifting after an unplanned 2.5 weeks off - had a minor injury, followed by a vacation. Got back at it with a leg day on Friday and feel like I got hit by a bus, literally. So sore I’m actually taking ibuprofen. I did my usual leg routine with the same reps/weights I’d done on my last leg day. Same warm up, cool down, stretching, foam rolling. It felt fine while doing it.

Ended up taking an unplanned rest day yesterday and still feel like crap today. I’m so frustrated. Scheduled to do push day today and am afraid it’s going to be the same deal (and that maybe I’ll have lost some strength).

Did I really do damage taking this time off? Or am I overreacting to a normal consequence of taking a break? My longest break prior to this was 3 days and I’m upset with myself for potentially jeopardizing my progress. If I continue to be this sore from my usual routine this week, I’m going to be forced to scale back. Any insight/advice would be appreciated.

Replies

• MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    Not sure a 2-3 week break is gonna do all that but your injury may have exacerbated things a bit.

Scale back to 80-90% of your most recent week (aka 2.5 weeks ago). Then increase by small increments (say, by adding 5%) in two week periods.

That should give you ample recouping time for this yet to be disclosed injury.

Mind you, I'm neither a physical fitness pro nor a healthcare pro so you may want to check in with either or both.

Hope you get better soon, sis 🙌🏿
  • _xsrs_84
    _xsrs_84 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    MaltedTea wrote: »
    Not sure a 2-3 week break is gonna do all that but your injury may have exacerbated things a bit.

Scale back to 80-90% of your most recent week (aka 2.5 weeks ago). Then increase by small increments (say, by adding 5%) in two week periods.

That should give you ample recouping time for this yet to be disclosed injury.

Mind you, I'm neither a physical fitness pro nor a healthcare pro so you may want to check in with either or both.

Hope you get better soon, sis 🙌🏿

Thank you for this! I appreciate the advice & encouragement. I did my push day after posting and definitely was struggling to lift the same I did before my break. Going to take your advice and hopefully get back to where I was pretty soon.
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    http://journals.lww.com/nsca-jscr/Abstract/2017/04000/Resistance_Training_Induced_Elevations_in_Muscular.1.aspx

When Dr. Michael Zourdos did a research review of this study (in an issue of MASS), here are the "Applications & Takeaways":
    2 weeks of detraining (rest) does not adversely affect strength and hypertrophy.
    There is no difference in muscle size and strength loss or gain following detraining and retraining when supplementing with either whey protein or maltodextrin when total calories, protein, and carbohydrates are sufficient.
    When returning to train following a short-term period of detraining, it is likely a good idea to use an introductory week to avoid excess muscle damage.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    2-3 week hiatus will mean a expected short period to build back up.

I would just use proper load management including auto regulation to dose your way back towards adequate volume & sufficient intensity of stimulus.

You trying to to do the same reps/weights of Your last week training is not a wise choice.

I would advise against the use of ibuprofen as we want the body's use of inflammation to help with recovery.

Have patience and build up the weight/volume appropriately. It will come fairly fast if you do and allow your work compacity to rebuild.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    I had to take off 6+ weeks due to a shoulder strain. I started back to benching about 8 weeks after the initial strain. I started very slowly...used very light weight. I basically started "from scratch" after years of lifting...just to be safe. The strength came back a lot faster than I anticipated; but I really paced myself, b/c I did not want to reinjure and be out of commission for at least another 8 weeks (or worse).

You are going to have set backs with lifting. Days off, weeks off, and even months off. The gains (no matter how small or slow) make it all worth it.
  • KiyaK
    KiyaK Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Magnesium spray &/or Epsom salt bath will help with soreness as well. I've had huge success with magnesium spray.