Too Much excercise???

Options
so here is my excercise plan for the next few months.

Morning Jog - 30 minutes
Afternoon cardio - 30 minutes
Evening Calisthenics- 30 minutes

i figure if i can complete this at least 6 days a week, i will be off to a good start, but is this too much???

Replies

• liveletl0ve
    Options
    I'd say not too much if u can do it. aiming high is great. u dont have to feel bad if you dont finish the 30 minutes at night!
  • smithskiman06
    smithskiman06 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    If you do this make sure you get a heart monitor to track the calories you burn and add them back in to your day.

If you get through more than a week of this plan it will be an accomplishment.

Exercise is really something you should ease in to .
  • thedeegan4
    thedeegan4 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    That is a lot to me. I'm lucky I can just just one workout in a day with 2 kids and the hubby working 3rd shift!
  • zoodalia
    Options
    It's a lot, but if you're fit already I'm sure you'll be fine... if you're not, why not just begin with the morning jog!
  • rockylucas
    rockylucas Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    If you can do that much each day and still feel energetic, and are eating enough to supplement the workouts, then you should be fine. Just keep in mind that IS a lot, so if u do a bit less on any given day, don't stress about it because you are still being VERY active overall/
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    All depends on how comfortable you are doing it. For the past few months I've been Tae Kwon Do training upto 4 times a week for between 1 and 2 hours each time; I love it and I manage just fine, but my friends think I'm taking things a bit too far. Recently I've added 2 more days of working out - either running or an exercise DVD or some sort..

If it works for you, go for it. Your body will soon tell you if it's too much.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    instead of doing 90 minutes of exercise 6 days a week, why not try some high intensity interval training (HIIT) 3x a week for 30ish minutes a shot? Research shows HIIT will trigger more fat burning.
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    90 minutes a day is not really a lot (for an athlete that's about what they do 6x a week), but just starting out it may be. That could lead to burn out if you aren't careful.

Maybe two or three days at that pace and then three other days at 30 min a week to build up.

Just a suggestion.
  • k2thaj
    Options
    I make sure I do at least 20 minutes everyday, but I start my mornings with Yoga for 20 minutes and then I generally take a 2-4 mile walk depending on the time of day.
  • KateHubb
    KateHubb Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    That is a lot, but I think as long as you don't over do it and give your body a rest at least one day a week, you're ok. I do cardio 6x week for 80 minutes and usually burn around 800-900 calories and then strength training 2x week. I just have to listen to my body and rest if I feel like it's shutting down or getting weak.
  • johovey
    Options
    You can do too much cardio, you will know if you plateau. That means if you start doing exercise and you just feel weak or you aren't getting results for a week or so. Women are more prone to that than men are. Start off slow and build up - and when you are still at the point where you are challenging your body and tired at the end of your workout - and you are showing results, then you are still doing fine. :)
  • aj_rock
    aj_rock Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Well what intensity is each of these workouts? Doing high intensity for all 90 minutes will burn you out within days. Just make sure you keep the easy workouts easy.
  • Rikki444
    Rikki444 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I would suggest (and that is all it is, a suggestion) that you start with your plan a bit slower than you intend to. Fitness is something that you build up to and starting too fast may throw you off. The day will come when you will need to add more activity! The fitter you are... the more you will need to do. Trust me I am in that place where I workout for hours and all I burn are 500 calories :grumble: .... it will take more to get your heart rate up.... to get the results.... to burn the calories.... also, you need to introduce this new 'stressor' to your body in a 'polite' way. My advise is to start with one thing and continue to add to your plan.

Is it too much? Your body will let you know....

No matter what you decide to do, I wish you all the best.
  • christina000
    Options
    I don't think its too much, although it seems like alot.

I only go for a 30-45 minute run a day, with some stretching, and light weight lifting as well, and it seems to be doing good for me. However, I'm more into slow and steady, and don't have aot to lose. So it just depends.

Just make sure you get enough rest, rest days, and calories and protiens!
  • akaChuck
    akaChuck Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    It doesn't seem like too much but if you aren't used to exercising that much the 2nd and 3rd days are going to be a mental challenge to get through. If it works for your schedule and you feel great at the end of the day then I'd say go for it!
  • aunt_hbomb
    Options
    Don't burn yourself out. Maybe try 90 minutes one day then alternate with 30 minutes or 60 minutes. Be sure to have a rest day in there once or twice a week so your muscles have time to repair themselves and get stronger.
  • ckspores
    Options
    If you can actually stick with it, I think it is great.

That schedule would burn me out fast. That's just me, but I'd stick to a morning/afternoon/evening 6-day a week routine for about 10 minutes. My life is not predictable enough to be able to maintain that kind of schedule and I'm not focused enough to do the same thing every day, day after day for 90 minutes.
  • laz22girl
    Options
    It's not too much if you can maintain it...my motto has always been to not start anything that can't be maintained.

That would be too much to fit in my schedule. I work out 4-6 times a week, but it's only 45 mins to an 1hr. Hr+ on saturdays when I am training for a race.
  • ladyphoto
    ladyphoto Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Do what you can when you can. If you can't get it all done in one day, don't sweat it:wink: Just pick back up the next day. What matters is that you start- and that you do something every day- even if one day a week it is just a walk. Get your body movin and your heart thumpin- you will feel great.

I totally agree by the way- heart rate monitor is the only way to go!
  • karmelkat20
    karmelkat20 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    what kind of HIT excercise do you recommend?