Where do you retain water?

Options
Wombat468
Wombat468 Posts: 191 Member
edited August 2021 in Health and Weight Loss
Odd question - do you retain water in the same places you put on fat? So I've been doing ok with weight loss for my wedding, getting married this Saturday. The dress will still likely be a bit tight around my ribcage. I was thinking I should have very limited salt in the days running up, because I don't want my dress to be even tighter from water retention, eg if I have a Thai meal the night before! But do you retain water equally all over, including eg on your toes etc(!), meaning that it would influence my dress tightness less than if I'd eaten lots of pizza for the last month?! (And meaning I can go out for my Thai meal?

Oh sorry I should point out that I massively retain water in terms of weight - I can easily be 4lb heavier the morning after a salty meal!

Replies

• CardinalComb
    CardinalComb Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Water retention comes from eating carbs, not salt. Sugar needs water to turn into glycogen as an energy source. If you want your dress to fit by your wedding cut carbs off for a few days.
  • Wombat468
    Options
    Thank you, but could it be both? I'm not sure I can cut out carbs as we'll be having a hard few days decorating the venue etc and existing on sandwiches!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Glycogen is stored in the liver, and muscles used in workouts if excess - with attached water.

Doubtful you have that many muscles around your ribcage that you have engaged in endurance cardio workouts such that it's storing extra glycogen for those workouts.

Sodium above and beyond normal is overall body increase.

Since you can't control where the water is stored (in either case at the moment of it increasing), but you know you increase a decent amount from sodium - why would you possibly risk it?

The known wedding party syndrome is usually carbs though - everyone diets the week of to fit in their dress, eating less carbs just because of less calories, if not specifically targeting less carbs. Throw in some glycogen heavy intense workouts that burn some up.
    Then all they eat the day of the wedding is some cake and gain 4-6 lbs the next morning.

That diet week rarely helps the right locations, but along with that diet is usually reduced sodium that may help along with a couple lbs of fat loss.
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Will you be using shapewear at all? If you've already taken that into account then I don't have any other suggestions, but I've found it can be really effective and surprisingly comfortable.
  • Wombat468
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    Glycogen is stored in the liver, and muscles used in workouts if excess - with attached water.

Doubtful you have that many muscles around your ribcage that you have engaged in endurance cardio workouts such that it's storing extra glycogen for those workouts.

Sodium above and beyond normal is overall body increase.

Since you can't control where the water is stored (in either case at the moment of it increasing), but you know you increase a decent amount from sodium - why would you possibly risk it?

The known wedding party syndrome is usually carbs though - everyone diets the week of to fit in their dress, eating less carbs just because of less calories, if not specifically targeting less carbs. Throw in some glycogen heavy intense workouts that burn some up.
    Then all they eat the day of the wedding is some cake and gain 4-6 lbs the next morning.

That diet week rarely helps the right locations, but along with that diet is usually reduced sodium that may help along with a couple lbs of fat loss.

Yes I guess you're right and I probably shouldn't risk it! Maybe I could just lower my carbs a bit rather than cutting them out! Thanks!
  • Wombat468
    Options
    Will you be using shapewear at all? If you've already taken that into account then I don't have any other suggestions, but I've found it can be really effective and surprisingly comfortable.

I would if I thought it would help, but can that trim the ribcage? I'd want my flab pushed downwards rather than over the top of the dress 🤣
  • tequierosince06
    tequierosince06 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Wombat468 wrote: »

I would if I thought it would help, but can that trim the ribcage? I'd want my flab pushed downwards rather than over the top of the dress 🤣

There are lots of different styles of shapewear. And yes some can go high up to under the boob area so it will also slip the rib cage as well as your stomach. Shapewear is a must for me. Im also going to be wearing a wedding dress soon.